Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #1

Dark, Dingy Cherry Wood

Maybe I'm in a unique part of the country where cherry wood is strongly associated with funeral parlors, lawyers offices, and libraries, but this seemingly never-ending trend of RV manufacturers to use dark woods like cherry turns me off. Fewer and fewer RVs come with golden brown woodwork that I associate with traditional cabins and furniture. Natural wood colors seem to be abandoned with the exception of RV makers like Starcraft. Jaycos are now all dark and dingy inside. I long for the day natural wood colors return. I want my RV to feel like a beautiful cabin or summer home, bright and cheery. I hope I'm not alone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our interior. Is that bright enough? We live in the Pacific NorthWet so we have lots of grey days. Wife likes lighter wood inside, in fact the '02 Dutch Star had the white washed oak and started out almost white but over the years it changed to darker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6999 (6).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	102964  

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our interior. Is that bright enough? We live in the Pacific NorthWet so we have lots of grey days. Wife likes lighter wood inside, in fact the '02 Dutch Star had the white washed oak and started out almost white but over the years it changed to darker.
Your interior is bright enough but suffers from the common near Rococo busyness (too many lines) in modern campers that IMO is even more oppressive (especially in a small space) than the dark woods so often used.

I like the simplicity of Camp Lites, Airstreams and many European campers.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems that a lot of the mfrs. are going that "Rich Look" and thus using the darker colors. Myself I don't like them they make the interior of the RV seem smaller and more confining. The lighter colors give a more airy and open feeling.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #5

One of the main reasons why I don't like the new Grand Design line of trailers. Only one wood choice and it's way too dark. Some woods just don't take stain well with their grain pattern. While I don't like white or light oak colored cabinets I do prefer some of both light and dark. My fav is hickory with a natural clear finish. Our current 5er has cherry colored cabinets but they're a light to medium color.
Just another example of how the RV industry is out of touch with buyers.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #6

Natural wood will darken with age. I agree some of these new units, maybe to many, come with dark stained wood. In time trends will change and most likely manufacturers will return to the lighter woods. IMO, oak is too 80's. Our 5ver is maple, a very nice furniture hardwood stained a honey color. The darker stained interiors do tend to appear smaller as a dark painted small room. A dark interior requires plenty of lighting, especially at night, but then it can be rich looking and cozy at the same time. But then It all depends on personal tastes.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #7

...not wanting our manufacturers' design teams to think that they've missed the target market entirely, may I present what I think is attractive.

We're from the south, where Oak and Pine are dominant, so change is nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	103241  
Old 08-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
...not wanting our manufacturers' design teams to think that they've missed the target market entirely, may I present what I think is attractive.

We're from the south, where Oak and Pine are dominant, so change is nice.
That's nice. I think a darker wood needs complimented with light furniture, floors and ceiling with plenty of lighting.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
If you have Cherrywood cabinetry and finishing, you've got an overall nice rig. It's a wood associated with richness because it's expensive and very durable because it's a hardwood.
Being a carpenter by trade, personally, I appreciate it. Our Beaver coach has it. I like the variation in color.
I have never been a big fan of Walnut or any of the other dark woods such as ash. I'm also not a fan of oak because it's everywhere. And pickled oak stain or white oak takes on a pink hue I've never been fond of. I do like the look of the solid stained maple with the hint of dark stain wiped into the profiles of the cabinetry and trim moldings.

Just my $0.02
Old 08-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

I agree that it seems like all new campers use wood that is to dark. I wish someone would offer some nice white cabinets so it would look more like a beach/lake house. Our new Gateway is way to dark with dark wood cabinets, dark leather furniture, and dark curtains. I think I may have to remodel it soon.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
This is great stuff. Have to laugh because we decided early on we wanted the darker wood and it seemed we found a gazillion RV's with light colored wood, and few that were the darker colors.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's what the interior of our coach looks like. (This is actually a photo from Winnebago's brochure, but it is just like ours except we have the dinnette.) We really like the light wood with the darker highlights from the upholstery and the countertops.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:03 AM   #13

Our new creekside is pretty bright I think
ORV: Creek Side 23RKS

To each his own, I personally like a darker interior. At the local RV show I would walk into some campers that were like walking into an Apple store. All the cabinets and some of the furniture were this bright white color with tons of supper bright LED lighting.

If people didn't want the darker woods then the industry wouldn't bother making them I suppose.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #14

Seem to me that RV manufacturers tend to copy each other when it comes to interior wood colors. During the past few years, everyone has been using darker, cherry wood tones. Before that, there was a lot of oak. Starting with the 2016 models, Winnebago is using lighter woods in their Minnie line, so I'm waiting to see what other manufacturers start doing.

scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote