Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Day/Night Shades: Do you like them?

We just picked up a new Forest River (Puma) TT and it has the day/night shades on every window. They're always cock-eyed, and difficult to use. They're also uneven on the bottom.

Anyone else have, and/or like them?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

I only have one left in the bedroom that is original to my MH. I love it, wish all the rest were still here. So far what I've found are just too expensive to replace them again. Maybe one day.

Kaye
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

The D/N shades are a hassle , particularly when the string tension is out of adjustment .
DW, hates the bedroom ones because , in order to have privacy, night position , they cut off air flow if you open the window. Looking to remove and install regular venetian blinds.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of people seem to have problems with Day/Night Shades. I must have some of the best quality ones ever made because I absolutely love mine and never a problem in 13 years of service. There are different manufacturer's so possibly you got some from the "cheap seats" shops.

Occasionally, I have had to re-tighten the strings as they need to be "piano string tight" otherwise they won't work and will be cockeyed all the time.

I have never had to replace any strings so they must be a high quality string too.

I removed the two windows that had Venetian blinds as they were hard to keep clean plus they were noisy. I installed a day/night shade in the toilet room and a Solar Shade in the small window over the kitchen counter behind the sink.

With the larger long D/N shades use two hands to raise them up but you can use one hand to lower. Also you can only move one of the two shades at a time either up or down. If you try to move both it will break.

If you have some extra money you can remove them and replace with MCD Day/Night Shades.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had them in every window of my 02 Sunnybrook for 12 years with no issues. Had to re-string one and tighten the strings on one. The instructions on how to adjust, re-string, re-tighten are all on line. I think there are some cheaper than others but they are better than the old style IMO. When I get to camp they go up, down for travel.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #6

We very happily put our day/night blinds into the dumpster! When we bought the new RV we told them we would not buy anything with day/night shades.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #7

Highway: how do I adjust them? One in my girls bunkhouse just falls down all the way to nightshade. Thank you.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the strings get loose at all they will not stay up. Do a google search on them. You should be able to tighten the strings without removing them.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #9

HATE THEM. Love the idea, but they are too tight, almost impossible on one wind to put up, blah....
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We absolutely love ours. We try to use both hands to take them up and down but they have not been any trouble at all.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Hated ours and went to Lowes and bought Bali double hung, double thick, pleated blinds in a color we liked and love them. They can be raised from the bottom or lowered from the top in any position. We drop them 6 in, in the morning, while we are sitting around in our jammies and no one can see in. Measured all the windows and ordered blinds 1in narrower. Seven days later Lowes called and we installed them ourselves after removing the factory shades and valances. The factory valances were a neutral color and pattern and contrast well. All 5 windows were just over $500. Now I can sit in my easy chair with my binoculars and watch the eagles out on the lake. Cant do that with day n nite shades. When they are closed they provide total privacy, with no shadows from outside even with the lights on.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #12

We had all of our old fashioned day night shades replaced with MCD shades today, including a powered windshield shade. Absolutely fantastic. Looks great, easy to use, one hand. Several of our old shades never hung right, the larger ones took two hands to raise and lower, and two had broken strings after minimal use in two years.

It wasn't inexpensive, but so glad we did it

Ken
Old 08-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
I wish the night shades were a little more opaque, so they let no light in.... Other than that they're OK... but not great.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post

I wish the night shades were a little more opaque, so they let no light in.... Other than that they're OK... but not great.

There are different types of Day/Night Shades. Those that make the room completely dark even when it's midday outside are called "Blackout" Shades.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote