Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #1

Has anybody ever heard of Dayton electric trailer brakes? I know a person with an OLD (1970ish) Travelmaster(?) travel trailer and it needs new brakes. The brake drums say "Dayton" on them. The mounting bolt pattern is 4-bolts in about an 8" diameter. The drums look to be about 10".

After extensive searching, I have yet to find anything about Dayton trailer brakes. The magnets are round with a metal clip-type bracket to the side with a round hole in the center. The closest thing I've found is an old-style Hayes brake.

Retired USAF MSGT
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #2

Has anybody ever heard of Dayton electric trailer brakes? I know a person with an OLD (1970ish) Travelmaster(?) travel trailer and it needs new brakes. The brake drums say "Dayton" on them. The mounting bolt pattern is 4-bolts in about an 8" diameter. The drums look to be about 10".

After extensive searching, I have yet to find anything about Dayton trailer brakes. The magnets are round with a metal clip-type bracket to the side with a round hole in the center. The closest thing I've found is an old-style Hayes brake.

Retired USAF MSGT
Old 06-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #3

Visit Dexter axle website and scout around. I remember Dayton brakes, that was a long time ago. Most new electric brake backing plates have generic mounting holes to fit other manufactuerers axles. It's cheaper to replace the entire backing plate assembly, complete with all electric brake component's, than buy them individually. Just an idea for you to consider.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:40 AM   #4

UPDATE:

The old brake assemblies best resembled an old style Hayes 10" brake, even though the drums said Dayton on them. Close examination of the brake shoes showed that the shoes were about 1/8" short of being fully inserted into the drums. A 1/8" ridge of unworn brakeshoe material was on the inside edge. For lack of being able to locate anything that resembled the current brakes, a set of 10" Dexter's were grabbed for comparison. The Dexter assembies were about 1/8" to 3/16" taller than the old brakes. So the Dexter's installed with the brake shoes being fully inserted into the drums unlike the old brakes. The owner of this "classic" travel trailer now has 4 brand new Dexter brakes that fit better than the old ones did. He is now one "happy camper".

Retired USAF MSGT
Old 06-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #5

Thanks for the Up-Date.. :-D

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote