Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #15

Either way will be you choice. Just adding my experience. Just had my whole front fiber glass panel replaced due to a warranty issue. Only reason it took a week or so longer was the factory sent the wrong color. Once the dealer had the correct one one it only was a day or two that i could pick it up. As far as a patch it may not speed up the time much other than the wait for a new panel to be shipped. A patch will always work. However I have seen some gel coat patches may fad differently over time. Good luck and hope all comes out ok so you can enjoy it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 06:37 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Count me in the patch camp. Assuming the trailer was properly built & sealed at the factory, I'd be more concerned with disturbing the whole wall and opening up the possibility of future leaks due to a poor repair job. The patch area is small, discrete, and can be monitored in the future. No way I'd rip the whole thing open.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
There is a Fiberglass repair shop a few miles south of me. The primary business is boats that get dinged on the large lake a few miles away. I have seen a number of RV's in the lot for repairs throughout the years I have driven by.

A quality shop will do a repair and you will NOT know it has been done. With computer paint matching and a good crew that patch will disappear. If I understand the process correctly it is not paint on the outside, but gel-coat that they renew over the patch. So it should respond the same as the surrounding gel-coat. My assumption here is on a 30K TT you dont have full wall paint, but gel-coat. If it is paint it can be matched almost 100% by a quality body shop.

HTH
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie101 View Post
Interesting replies. Everyone here says to try for a helluva good deal on a new trailer since my value will plummet. I thought the whole wall would be the way to go because it would be one piece but you have all provided some good food for thought for the patch.

This is the best approach by far. See if you can use this incident to compel them to trade as is then they have to explain the problem and you get the brand new rig as you should have.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #19

I'd go for a new rear wall done at the factory. Make them pay to have it shipped back to the factory and repaired. If they won't do that then ask for a new trailer.
I would be leery of the dealer installing a new wall.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #20

I had a fiberglass trailer patched almost 10 years ago and couldn't find the spot if I had to.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #21

Didn't see my thoughts mentioned.
How about an outside shower kit installed, or a rear porch lite and maybe a 110 outlet. Add something of value to the trailer instead of covering a hole.
Good idea yes !

Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I'd go for a new rear wall done at the factory. Make them pay to have it shipped back to the factory and repaired. If they won't do that then ask for a new trailer.
I would be leery of the dealer installing a new wall.

There have been a lot of good ideas but I think I like this one the best ( if they don't get a new trailer). I'm going to check with forest river to see what the warranty is if they do it. I'm really concerned about patching the gel coat. Mostly for cosmetic reasons but it would drive me crazy.

Unfortunately I already have an outside shower and don't want or need a light. Good thinking though.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #23

Dang thought I had a winner, I hope your satisfied whatever way you go.

Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #24

I would definitely see what options could be added in the spot of the hole. Get measurements from the dealer and see if anything useful, or even simply cosmetic will cover the entire hole.

Options could be:
1)120V Electrical outlet
2)Additional 30/50 amp connection
3)Additional fresh water connection
4)Small cargo door
5)Additional marker lights
Old 11-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #25

They have sent me an email suggesting that a new wall would be the best option and that it would be better than new because they can take the time to do it properly (which makes me wonder what the factory does). I like idea of the whole wall but I need some sort of guarantee it is not going to cost me in the long run or leak like a sieve. I guess there really is no way of knowing 100%.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
THese things are always negotiable. If this is your hometown dealer, ask them for a 100% unconditional guarantee for their work for a period of time that is longer than that offered for the same part of the trailer by the manufacturer (e.g., if the factory warranty of construction is two years, get four out of them). The reason for this is it is their fault the two parties in this negotiation are even dealing with this in the first place. It will also reinforce their need to be careful when moving trailers. Ask them questions like "Are you folks making sure that every trailer movement by your employees employs a spotter for the blind spots and radio communications between the driver and spotter? HMM?"

It's their fault. They must make this right and treat you very well in the process.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #27

Well you would think so. I will definitely want some sort of warranty in writing. I've also contacted coachmen to see if this will affect the factory warranty because if it does it's a whole different ballgame. I expect a call from them tomorrow.

Also, the term "wall skin"'was used. I don't know if that means a whole new wall or just the gel coat covering. Lots of questions to get answered.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #28

Well that's not a laminated wall, so it is a "skin." It is thin filon or fiberglass board glued to a luan backer (thin wood).

Tags
dealer