Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Dealer damaged trailer.

So we had our four month old apex 288bhs at the dealers for some warranty work before putting it away for the winter. Among other things we are having a new rear door put on because the old one leaked through the window frame when it rained and it would not seal when closed. Unfortunately while backing the trailer up someone backed into the hitch on another trailer, punching a hole through the rear wall. Options provided today for repair are to have it patched by an auto body shop or to have the whole rear wall replaced. Both will be 100% according to the dealer.

My wife is angry because at four months old we have a $30000 trailer that has required some pretty major repairs that may affect resale value and may open us up to water damage.

Hoping for some input from you guys. I don't want to ask for the world on a silver platter but I don't want to take it too lightly either.

I won't mention the dealers name because i have been more than happy with them and mistakes happen. I just don't want to have to suffer because of them. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446596229.215120.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	111107Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446596243.337900.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	111108

fuzzie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
You are between a rock and a hard place.

I would go with the patch because you would really open up another can of worms by replacing the whole section. My DD just had a rear replaced on a new TT due to a bubble. While she is happy, I can see that it was not a stellar job.

If you go with the patch, don't accept it if it doesn't look or feel right. Yes, poke around the patched area to check for weakness.

lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Dealer damaged trailer.

And that's part of the problem. I tend to be picky and if the shade is off or the texture is wrong I will notice it every time I walk by.

The other problem is the wall replacement will likely take a month which puts us into winter. I don't want to be towing it if the weather goes bad.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
While neither option is great I would go with the patch.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
That is an easy patch for an auto body shop.

I did an "oops " on my trailer a few years ago and repaired it myself with a fibreglass patch . '' No one'' could ever see the patch. The tricky part was matching the paint color on the patch area.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2007 Chevy
dfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
OOPS! and I'm sure the dealer feels badly this happened.
If it were me I would opt for the auto body shop option. The chance of ending up with a water leak would be less having just the damaged area repaired IMO. With today's repair materials and methods the damage would not be visible if a good quality shop did the repair.
If the repair was made and you weren't satisfied with the result you still have the full panel replacement option.
Great spot for a Good Sam Club decal!
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #7

Definitely patch it, not only is it unlikely that a patch will leak if it looks good to begin with, but you will not open yourself up to potential problem at ALL the other places that will be disturbed when they do the entire wall. Better yet, ask to be paid the cost of the whole wall replacement, have it patched by a reputable auto body shop, and buy some "goodies" with the extra!

Note: If you elect to go with the whole wall replacement, pick out he protruding portions of the damage, put eternabond tape over the damage, and go ahead and use the trailer without fear that it will leak there.
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Patch, wall replace would be ugly and time consuming as noted
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #9
Interesting replies. Everyone here says to try for a helluva good deal on a new trailer since my value will plummet. I thought the whole wall would be the way to go because it would be one piece but you have all provided some good food for thought for the patch.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
Patches turn out better, if the body shop does good gel coat work. I've seen anything from tiny to huge patches, and the only time you tell is if the area isn't blended well and the rest of the trailer is faded from age.

If the wall was replaced at the factory, I'd be ok, but dealers just can't do that as good as the factory.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have a boat repair place do it? They work on gel coat all the time, right?

Replacing the wall could make the interface of the entire rear wall a new leak. Patch it.
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #12
Thats an interesting thought with regards to a marine repair. The wife is adamant that they take the trailer back for what we owe and set us up with a new one. She is livid. So i sent the email to suggest this. We will see what the response is. That way we get an undamaged trailer and they can patch and sell this one. I can already see their response in my mind but I'll let her go off on them afterwards.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:45 PM   #13
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Does the hole go where the bed is? How about adding a storage access door there if it does? I fear a patch will eventually turn a different color so how about a decal over the patch? How about alu diamond plate just along the bottom. Just different ideas to turn a - into a +. Any other mods the dealer could do for you to make you happy? An extra vent, solar on the roof?
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #14
I haven't seen it in person yet but it looks like it would be right on the divider between the bunk and the washroom.