Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

Dealer or private seller

I searched the site but couldn’t find a thread on this. I realize buying used is a good idea due to depreciation amongst other things.
Would like opinion on buying from private seller or dealer
Any trailer I would require an inspection by a certified RV tech. Already walked away from one that seller said no and I had cash in hand and tech available in 15 minutes.
So private seller or dealer—- thoughts comments??
Thanks!!
Tonka45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #2

Many posts out there...are you using the Google search box or the forum search ? Google much better... try different terms.

I would (did) approach private seller w a written offer w contingencies spelled out.
Would start verbal negotiations but once close agreement fill in the blanks re make, model, price, deposit $, clear title, closing date, but buyer option to test drive, inspect and have owner demo all systems & accessories) and have mechanic (chassis) and RV tech (house) inspected at my discretion would be (was) and requirement.
Deposit refundable if any of above failed. Final payment when clear title produced & signed over. Seller usually prefers / requires a time frame / limit for above so they don't get hung up endlessly.
Any seller exceptions to above would be a red flag IMO but others make their own choices.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Many posts out there...are you using the Google search box or the forum search ? Google much better... try different terms.
Thanks for info. Very detailed. I’ll try google search
Old 02-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #4

What kind of information are you looking for? Dealer or private makes no difference to me as I'll only make a fair offer on a unit I actually want to buy. I bought ours from a private seller but had it been at a dealer I would have made the same offer to them. Money wise where I live the only difference is taxes are not collected on a private sale.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

I have purchased RV's from both private sellers and a dealer and it's more about it being the RV I wanted vs who is selling it. There is obviously a different negotiating approach depending on the seller being private or a dealer, but it all boils down to the item for sale being something I want.
For a private sale, I would expect a maintenance history and a cash sale. For a dealer I would look at different payment plans and negotiate free upgrades.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I have purchased RV's from both private sellers and a dealer and it's more about it being the RV I wanted vs who is selling it. There is obviously a different negotiating approach depending on the seller being private or a dealer, but it all boils down to the item for sale being something I want.
This is my thought too. I bought new, so I had to go through a dealer, but I also knew what I wanted, so I went where it was first and negotiated with them.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #7

It's all about price and condition. If I can't get it inspected, what are you hiding?

I use NADA and RVtrader (nationwide) to get close to my offer price. NADA values are inflated for new and one year old RV's.

Fall of 2017, I bought a 6 month old Grand Design 2600RB on eBay contingent upon RV Tech inspection. Very common practice for eBay. They can be your eyes and ears. We had the Tech also pack the bearings after the purchase was approved. Drove 600 miles to get it. Uneventful drive home.

You are smart to request an independent RV tech inspect before buying (new or used), our local RV dealers are 4-8 weeks behind on service. Dealer's warranty may not get you moved to the front of the line.
AWOL2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #8

I've sold and bought all my RVs from private sellers and have been happy with the transactions in every case. I would have to say if a potential buyer came to me with demands for hoop jumping that Winemaker explained, I would let him move on. Buying and selling things don't need to be that complicated, stuff like that means, to me, the buyer will be hard to work with. Hand shakes work pretty well for me.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:04 AM   #9

Thanks all. I got it. Appreciate the comments
Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I've sold and bought all my RVs from private sellers and have been happy with the transactions in every case. I would have to say if a potential buyer came to me with demands for hoop jumping that Winemaker explained, I would let him move on. Buying and selling things don't need to be that complicated, stuff like that means, to me, the buyer will be hard to work with. Hand shakes work pretty well for me.
Agree in some cases...
In this one we were close to 1,000 mi apart and I wanted to avoid multiple trips... and seller wasn't willing to hold it off market w/o some commitment... and it was a highly desirable recent MY DP I was very interested in.
Bottom line we talked a lot got comfortable with each others integrity and probably could have done it a a handshake if in the same town.
When I sold my older MH seller was local and we did it w a handshake. Lots of options based on situation.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, sell