Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Dealer visits

Along with some other sight-seeing, we visited two dealerships today just for information. At the first one we were met with a fairly new salesman, who freely admitted that he was new. He showed us a couple of trailers, then took us back to the office to meet with his mentor. Both men listened to us as we explained our situation. Neither tried to push anything on us.

At the second dealership we met an experienced salesman. He flat-out told us that one brand on our list was the best and all the rest were so-so. He didn't have any used coaches to show us, and told us to come back when we were ready to buy. I doubt we were on the property for more than five minutes.

It is unlikely that we will buy from either dealership simply because we probably won't be anywhere close to here if/when we make that decision, but there is no way I'll return to the second dealership.

kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #2

I find it easy to pass on RV and vehicle dealers that start with negatives on other brands that I may or may not be considering.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dealers/salesman are a hit an miss proposition. Some are geed, some are better and some are new and admit it.
I've been RV'ing for 58 years now and usually I know more about the rig than the salespeople. I've had sales people turn and walk away when I pointed out their misinformation. I've also had them thank me for correcting them.
All kinds out there. Do your research and find a dealer/salesman you trust and like. We're working with just such a "pair" now.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #4

I have read lots of post talking about dealer experiences, but just like this one, the OP failed to name either of the dealers.
Is there some rule I'm unaware of prohibiting naming dealers when relating good/bad experiences?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
As a buyer YOU have to be well informed when you go to dealerships.

Some sales personnel are well informed, others not so much. Some are quite forthright and honest in their answers, others will tell you whatever they think will sell the unit. Some like the Williams fellow will make up stuff if they do not know the answer or think it will make their product look better.

As soon as a fellow starts dissing other manufacturers, other dealers or salesmen I wish them a quick good bye. I see too much negative campaigning in politics and will not tolerate it if I dont have to.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

I didn't reveal either dealership's name publicly because I didn't want to get an argument going in case someone else had a really good experience at one of the dealerships. I'll be glad to share the names of the two dealerships privately.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #7

good question, anytime I mentioned a dealerships name I was quickly slapped on the wrist and hard by a number of people..... I often wonder how many of the users are actually employees of these dealerships just keeping their eyes on business....
Old 02-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #8

I wouldn't of given the OP the time of day is there were any indication he was just passing thru. Window shoppers are a dime a dozen.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #9

I admit that I didn't call ahead and make an appointment with either dealership. The difference between the two, though, was quite remarkable. As for window shopping, well, sometimes a window shopper turns into a buyer - especially on a large purchase. A friend of mine, now deceased, had his eye on a new Lincoln. Since he worked near the Lincoln dealership, he stopped in quite often. The sales people stopped greeting him, because he was "just a window shopper." One day he stopped in, and even though all of the sales people saw him and none were busy, no one greeted him. After about 10 minutes he pulled out his wallet and extracted five $1000 bills. As he headed for the door he used the cash to wave at the sale people. Of course they all ran to him - then. He said he was going to buy a Cadillac. Later that day he stopped in at the Lincoln dealership, driving his new Cadillac.

Sales people really can't afford to ignore any customer. As I said in the original post, the first dealership netted us a brand-new salesman. He freely admitted his ignorance and quickly called in his mentor. We told him the same thing we told the second dealership - we were gathering information about high-end travel trailers and mentioned the same brands.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It takes a little bit of work to make a friend. It takes less to make an enemy.

Salesmen who will not take the time to give you a bit of information are obviously making too much money. Perhaps they come from a monied family.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I wouldn't of given the OP the time of day is there were any indication he was just passing thru. Window shoppers are a dime a dozen.
My wife and I went to a dealer just to "look" and we told the salesman that. We bought a MH that nite. 18 months later we bought our current RV from that same salesman.

Had the salesman taken your approach he would have lost 2 sales.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer