Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #15
Car and RV dealers have been doing this for years. Nothing more than a way to make bonus $$$. Absolutely do not buy it. As said have it detailed\waxed after you get it or as mentioned do it yourself if so inclined. The cost will be a fraction of what they want.

2014 Southwind 32VS
2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X\2013 Honda CRV AWD
2015 Polaris RZR XP 1000\2014 KTM 350EXC
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #16
Bought a car once from a dealer who was pushing an expensive rust proofing. I declined, but when I went to pick up the car, the salesman said, "Sorry, but I forgot to tell them not to rustproof so you owe us $300 dollars more."

To make matters worse, the paperwork was all made out with the new numbers. I thanked him for the free rustproofing and suggested they redo the paperwork. He protested that it would take a day to redo it. So I got up to leave and he changed his mind.

Since then whenever I buy a vehicle I make it clear when i order a car that I will not pay for any dealer add-ons. As a rule, I won't even go in a dealership if I see that all the cars on the lot are loaded up with Paint Sealants, Stain Guards, Rustproofing, etc. These scams are the worst kind of ripoffs and are a red flag for the kind of dealership who promotes them.

John McKinley
2007 Damon Daybreak 3060, Ford 16,000# Chassis,
Ford C-Max Hybrid Toad , Suzuki V Strom 1000cc
jmckinley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Halvo are you in Utah by any chance?
Greg and Teresa
1995 Pace Arrow Coronado 30H
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab 6.0 Powerstroke
ZMasterFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #18
1st off, no TT's have full body paint. Maybe the front cap if it's a fiberglass cap. Big waste of money.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #19
Zmasterfish, no, I'm in the NW.
halvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #20
Do not fall for any Dealer added sealer/protectant package. I fell for it and they didn't even bother to wash the trailer first before applying the "product". Total rip off.
2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #21
Our dealer offered to seal the TT for $1000.00. It was supposed to last a few years. I figured in a few years the newness would be gone so who cares.

That said I have met a few who take great pride in their shiny TT and TV. Good for them but that is not my cup of tea.

If you do like to buff and shine perhaps it is worth it, however I suspect the TT would be just a shiny without the clear base coat. You can buy a lot of wax for a couple of grand.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #22
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
Do not fall for any Dealer added sealer/protectant package. I fell for it and they didn't even bother to wash the trailer first before applying the "product". Total rip off.
Some products that really do seal the paint like Dry Wash N Guard do not require minor dirt amounts to be washed off first. Lots of caked on dirt then yes, they should be washed first.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #23
If its like the the car business, NO WAY! I deal with several new car dealers daily and they even say its a scam.
rrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #24
i purchased the Duratain sealant package. I don't fault the dealer or sealant companies for charging for their services. I also respect the decision not to do this.

I looked at the info and in my opinion if the sealant works, and I have no reason to think it doesn't, the cost to me justifies the value or benefit I receive in return.

We just dropped $30k on a trailer. That in itself could be considered dumb. But, the intention is that even though the trailer depreciates and costs us hard earned cash, the value the trailer brings to my family justifies the cost.

Due to where I live, my work schedule, family time, and desire..most of my maintenance and service work will be done by the dealer. I'm ok with that.

We also purchased a slide out cover and max air vents, and paid for their installation. Some might think that that is nuts too.

I spent the money and am not going to look back. Too busy lurking on these forums and reserving camping spots ��
MLiljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #25
Hey Mike, Agreed here....my extra "cost" was the extended warranty. When I'm not confident in my ability to fix it, I'm happy to have that bit if insurance.

Speaking of reserving spots...man, I will be calling the state parks soon, for NEXT year. Looking forward to learning all the ins and outs though.

good luck!

2004 Ford Excursion
2016 MPG 2800QB
halvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #26
We are at camp driveway this weekend. Im putting in bunk bed rails��

MLiljen is offline   Reply With Quote

dealer, seal