Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Here is some good information that I kept from another post: Damon Decals

The whole post has pictures, I've condensed to the proceedure used below. As I will need my decals replaced I keep notes of others successes. Good luck with yours!!

Sheila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
Yea heat it up and take it off then use isopropyl alcohol to remove the glue and any wax. I'll post pictures after I'm done.
Quote:
Well I received all the maroon decals and removed 2 from the passenger side doors and the back. Best way to remove tape is with a heat gun and plastic puddy knife. The glue is another issue. I tried almost everthing and found WD-40 to work best. Next have to pre-cut decals then use a spray with water and soap so I can position decal and then squeegy the water out.
Quote:
Today was a lot cooler than the past 3 weeks so I applied the 3 decals and they came out pretty good. I used soapy water to apply them so I could move them and then squeegeed the the water out.
Quote:
I used a heat gun, WD-40 and a plastic puddy knife (several of them, they melt). On the aluminum doors it wasn't too bad to take them off, but the back being fiberglass you have to be careful not to get it too hot. Spray with wd-40, then heat and scrape. Once they are off I washed the area with Dawn dishsoap, several times. To put them on, once you have them in the size you want, spray the area with water and little soap and put the decal in position. Next squeegee the water and bubbles out and when done just let them dry in place.

By the way I tried alcohol, goo be gone, lighter fluid, cooking oil and other stuff and wd-40 worked best.

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #16

I've heard that body shops use one drop of liquid soap to a quart or gallon of water to apply and position decals. Think it was a gallon, but I'm not sure. A gallon seems like a high dilution to work.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #17

How long do you leave the WD-40 on before scrapping?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #18

There are cheaper priced decal/pin stripe removal wheels have used one on the aged stripe across the front of our bounder.

Worked perfectly and what adhesive backing that was left used a Bio degradable paint stripper & removed it great with no issues harming the gel coat underneath.

http://www.amazon.com/AES-Industries...auto_ai_ps_t_3

Just $11.00 for one eraser wheel & does just as good of a job as the 3M version, includes a drill arbor too.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #19

When I get some time, I will first try some of the many chemicals I already have in a non-conspicuous area to see if they damage the paint. Bookmarked that page. Thx.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A friend of mine is the manager of a large body shop in a big shipping company. He says that those erasers are the only way to go.
Sticks4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #21

I don't know it even a wheel could handle the AZ sun baked on decal adhesive. Might have to try and ebay a decal to cover it if it takes off the paint.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ73 View Post
The previous owners of my TT had large decals of there last name placed on the side and rear of TT. Any tips on how to easily remove them? Thanks.
I used this product (3M stripe off wheel) to remove stickers from the fiberglass on my MH. I was very happy with the results, it worked flawlessly there is no adhesive left to clean up! LINK:
3M
Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #23

We own a graphics/sign company and as others have mentioned, use a hair dryer or heat gun to remove the vinyl decal. Once you remove the vinyl, rub your had over the sub strait to feel for any glue residue. I you do feel some; I would recommend using denatured alcohol to remove any adhesive residue that is left after removal. This may take a bit, but it will come off.

If this does not work, try goof-off, but try a small spot on the RV that is not noticeable to the eye to be sure it does not cause any damage or discolor in the RV before you use it where the original vinyl was removed.

Good luck, let me know if you have any additional questions!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #24

77, can I PayPal you a beer"? This was the first time I tried and the hair dryer worked great to soften up the old decal. Once the pieces cooled, they crumbled easier than a dried leaf. Denatured and lighter fluid worked on the adhesive. Still have a little more to do and it is going to leave a slight shadow. It's windy and starting to cool of, so I will finish the last ~2x4 section tomorrow. Sure looks a lot better than the crusty old cracked shield and was easier and cheaper than the wheel. I still have the front one to do. Thx for the tips.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
77, can I PayPal you a beer"? This was the first time I tried and the hair dryer worked great to soften up the old decal. Once the pieces cooled, they crumbled easier than a dried leaf. Denatured and lighter fluid worked on the adhesive. Still have a little more to do and it is going to leave a slight shadow. It's windy and starting to cool of, so I will finish the last ~2x4 section tomorrow. Sure looks a lot better than the crusty old cracked shield and was easier and cheaper than the wheel. I still have the front one to do. Thx for the tips.
Nah, no need to send me a beer. I am glad I could be of some assistance, after all, we are all here to contribute.

If you have any other questions or problems with this vinyl, please don't hesitate to ask
Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #26

I'll get it tomorrow. My arm got tired and my hand got cold from the wind and alcohol.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If the wheel does screw up the paint, it won't be any worse than the decals that are on it now. I'm already thinking of a decal to cover the old ones. I can try a dab of Goof-Off on a small area and see what it does. No sense spending the money for a wheel if Goof-Off works. I need to go to HD anyway.
Call a local dealer and ask what your finish is - i.e. acrylic enamel or lacquer.

EDIT: JUst saw your update and see you are going with the heat method...good luck to ya!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #28

Was just about to post here. Got both of them off with the heat, alcohol and elbow grease, but they left a shadow. Gonna contact Interstate Trailers and see if they have a slightly larger shield. If they want to charge me, I'll ask why I should pay to advertise for them. Seriously, if it's not too much, I'll buy them, but if it is, there's ebay and 77 Spartan for something "different".