Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by BuffaloBarb View Post
We have a 2011 Ford F150 with upgraded towing and with all the great lite weight options out there my H said we should be ok.
I agree with H, but barely. With the pickup and that trailer loaded for the road, you'll probably be right up aginst the max trailer weight your pickup is designed to tow. No problem on the flats, but you'll probably be the pokey RV in the slow lane when climbing mountain passes.

Assuming your pickup is a popular SuperCrew 4x4 with the longer bed and 5.0L engine with the heavy duty tow pkg (3.73 axle ratio), Ford says the tow rating is a hair over 9,000 pounds. But in order for you to tow 9,000 pounds without busting the GCWR of the tow vehicle, the wet and loaded pickup must be virtually empty, with nothing but a skinny driver in the truck because it can't weigh more than about 6,000 pounds. So because you'll probably have more than a skinny driver in the pickup when on the road, your actual tow rating is probably closer to 8,000 pounds.

The Rockwood 2902SS has a GVWR of 7,703 pounds. So the most the wet and loaded trailer should ever weigh when on the road is 7,700 pounds. That's less than your actual tow rating of about 8,000 pounds, so you should be good to go.

If you have a different pickup, then your tow rating will vary, depending on drivetrain, cab, engine, and rear axle ratio. The details are in Ford's towing guide.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #16
Thanks for all the info. I'm on a couple different forums and sometimes it can take wks to get any responses. I really appreciate the time you guys/gals have taken to answer me. We ended up getting a 2012 Keystone Springdale 2906. Our truck is weighted to tow 11000 so we should be ok with the weight. The H is really nervous about moving up to a larger trailer but the space was needed.

BuffaloBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #17
I sat down with ford dealer and we went thru the specks of my truck. Yes, I understand that a bigger truck would make life easier but it is not that easy to just get another truck. So here is what I have. I have a 2004 ford f-150 extended cab Lariat with a 5.4 L engine. My tow rate is 9900 pounds. My trailer is a Laredo 31 ft pull. It was off the lot at 7800 pounds. I have removed the very heavy tv it came with and am looking at getting rid of the sleeper couch as well. I have not loaded the trailer with tons of junk.I have lots of empty cabinets in my trailer. I drive with empty frig, empty all the water and my propane tanks are empty. I am alone so there is not stuff from others as well as others to consider. My truck does a fabulous job. I travel only 6-8 hours a day. And yeah, I am the "pokey rv'r" but I don't care. That is why there are two lanes, just go around. I am not on a time table to get anywhere so who cares? My truck has been cleared 100%by ford to pull this trailer. This is my home. I don't have a house to go to. I am a full-time rv liver and I love it. So while I can understand the view points of some, they need to keep in mind that a lot of us can't just run down to the store and buy a new truck. I purposely keep what is inside my home to the extreme minimum. Ha, I will never be featured on the hoarding show. so my advice would be to do your research and totally take into account your needs. And you have to enjoy it. I love my home. Good luck and enjoy the road.
Musherdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by BuffaloBarb View Post
We ended up getting a 2012 Keystone Springdale 2906. Our truck is weighted to tow 11000 so we should be ok with the weight.
I don't see a model number 2906 on the Springdale website,
Keystone Springdale | Specs
but all the models that begin with "29" have a GVWR (shipping weight plus carrrying capacity) around 9,500-9650 pounds. So if your F-150 has the EcoBoost or the "big" 6.2L V8 engine with 11,000 pounds tow rating, then you'll be okay. Tell hubby not to worry about the trailer weight, but maybe worry about trailer sway. Do some research on the weight-distributing hitch you will use to tow that big trailer. I would tow lesser TTs with an ordinary Reese or Equal-I-Zer weight-distributing hitch with dual sway controls, but for that big trailer I'd want a ProPride, or at least the predecessor Hensley Arrow. Expensive, but worth it.
Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #19

Great discussion on sway control; that's a huge safety consideration. The addition of an anti-sway control is money well spent and you will like it a lot on a day with strong cross winds, especially while passing through an underpass. A tap on the trailer brakes can stop a sway cycle, but that's just a quick situational remedy...and driving without these safety devices can be an exhausting endeavor.

But I thought I'd throw-in two additional ideas for your consideration based on my humble experience pulling horse trailers behind my pickup truck that I think applies:

- Aux Transmission Oil Cooler: You mentioned you had the Towing Package, so you must have the additional cooler, but I'd check. My 95 GMC had the 4L60E transmission, with the cooler but they did not offer a transmission oil temp gauge - newer pickups seem to have that as an option or a standard item these days. I also changed the transmission oil at regular intervals - either by draining through the pan (I added a drain plug so I didn't take a bath in the fluid) then pop-in a new filter. A service station that has a pump that can be connected to the oil cooler lines and will get at the oil in the torque converter, but then the filter isn’t accessed.

- Tongue Weight: There's plenty of info available on checking your tongue weight once loaded. You should investigate and determine what your load is on the hitch and how that impacts your tow vehicle balance. We've all seen the tow vehicle going down the road with its hood pointed to the sky, that’s pretty unsafe in my view. Weight distribution hitches solve this problem by using two "levers" to pour more weight on your front wheels. For my purposes, I added air bags on the rear axle; installation is easy as the bags are clamped on the rear axle tubes in place of the rubber bumpers that normally reside on the frame rails back there. (Air-Lift is the product: http://www.airliftcompany.com/). This eliminated the need for a weight distribution hitch, which to me felt “springy” when going over bumps. I preferred what I considered to be a more solid feel on the road that the air bag system provided and made hook-up easier making the bars, chain, clamps and heavier hitch all redundant.

Plus, I could add air to the system when hauling heavy loads in the box, then drain the air to get a decent ride while not towing or hauling.

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery and if you know all this stuff already, I don’t mean to offend or seem condescending or a know-it-all-ski. Just thought I’d throw it out there for discussion on towing safety considerations and these are just my opinions and am always ready to learn from those more experienced.
USN, Ret. - Dynamax DynaQuest 32XL
'71 BMW 2002, '99 BMW 528i, '90 Porsche C2
...and four Wire Hair Mini Dachshunds
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #20
You guys are great! We signed the contract today for the Keystone! I will share all of the info with my H. We are really excited (and a little nervous) so I'm sure we will have more questions!

BuffaloBarb is offline   Reply With Quote