Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #1

Decisions Decisions

Hi Everyone.
We are steping up from a pop-up. We really like the 2011 Jayco Feather Select Series X23B but we have a chance to get 2011 Rockwood Forest Runner 2902SS. The extras in the Rockwood are amazing BUT we think it maybe a huge step up from where we are. We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids 13, 11 and 10). Does anyone have any experience jumping to a much larger camper and regreting it? I know that sounds silly but with a unit that size there are additional cost that keep running in my head. (Storage-it will not fit in our driveway and possible additional insurance cost). Thanks in advance and I can't wait to hear your input (good or bad).
BuffaloBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I doubt that the insurance cost will be much different. If you want bigger, look for a clean used model. There are a lot of good deals that are available. Take your time, & make the right decision for you & your family.

Good Luck! & Welcome Aboard!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #3

Our TT is 33', and you NEVER have too much room. The difference in insurance will be minor, but the enjoyment in larger will be MAJOR!!! Think of it like your house, you don't realize how much you packed into until you have to move it. And with three kids, you may need an attic LOL. I would go bigger, and not look back; we have three kids in ours also.

BTW, the larger TT will pull better and with less sway............just sayin'
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
Our TT is 33', and you NEVER have too much room. The difference in insurance will be minor, but the enjoyment in larger will be MAJOR!!! Think of it like your house, you don't realize how much you packed into until you have to move it. And with three kids, you may need an attic LOL. I would go bigger, and not look back; we have three kids in ours also.

BTW, the larger TT will pull better and with less sway............just sayin'
Thanks for the feedback. You are SOOOOO right there is never enough room once you have kids! We were more concerned about fitting a larger trailer into the sites we like to go to. My H has a hard time sometimes getting into sites with the pop-up! (BUT IF YOU TELL I WILL DENY THAT I EVER SAID IT! )
Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think your Hubby will find that the longer trailer is much easier to backup and park over the Pop-up. I used to get the pop-up sideways backing into the driveway. Enjoy your travels.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #6

Just make sure your towe vehicle is up to the larger tt
Old 08-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #7

We have a 2011 Ford F150 with upgraded towing and with all the great lite weight options out there my H said we should be ok.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #8

I have a 31ft Laredo and I am pulling with an F150. At first I was nervous but after talking with several Ford folks,was reassured my truck would be fine. My truck is a2004 5.4L with tow package. I have sway bars and I can hardly feel the trailer back there until I climb. I have a tendency to take extra time and go around steep climbs. I am alone. I love the room I have. I have two slide outs and I am full time. I am a travel Nurse. I love my home.
Musherdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #9

Also, my trailer has aluminum frame so am sure that makes a difference. Every time I leave, I have my truck looked over real good. I don't drive more than 8 hours a day. Yeah, it takes longer. Oh well. I enjoy the road trip. I have had great help out there and it is refreshing to see that a single gal can still be safe on the road.
Musherdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #10

I went from a tent to a 21ft jayco to a 30ft TT. My only regret was that I should have just got the 30ft to save money and time when selling the 21ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3538187359.png
Views:	167
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	12694  
Funkmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #11

The longer the trailer, usually the longer the distance from the hitch to the trailer wheels. This increase in distance makes it easier for the tow vehicle to "catch up" to the turning radius of the trailer when backing.
Example: A short, small trailer with maybe 8' from ball to tires is much harder to back than a boat trailer with 16' from ball to tires. Short trailers are so difficult to control when backing that people have been known to put a hitch on the front of their vehicle if they have to back it in for any distance. Every snowmobile trailer we ever had I put a long tongue on just so I could back down our long driveway easier.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
oh the joys of backing a trailer. I made atrip to Michigan towing my toad on a two wheel dolly. I provided a lot entertainment at a Flying J trying to back that rig. had most of the 18 wheeler drivers rolling, and after some nasty comments from a couple of them about old geezers and thier toys I invited him to show me how its done.
after a few attempts, he and a couple of others helped me unhook and turn the trailer around with nasty comments about Flying J being RV friendly
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBarb View Post
Hi Everyone.
We are steping up from a pop-up. We really like the 2011 Jayco Feather Select Series X23B but we have a chance to get 2011 Rockwood Forest Runner 2902SS. The extras in the Rockwood are amazing BUT we think it maybe a huge step up from where we are. We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids 13, 11 and 10). Does anyone have any experience jumping to a much larger camper and regreting it? I know that sounds silly but with a unit that size there are additional cost that keep running in my head. (Storage-it will not fit in our driveway and possible additional insurance cost). Thanks in advance and I can't wait to hear your input (good or bad).
If the model numbers repesent the TT length, I might concider towing it with the F150 but not the 29'. I wouldn't use less than a 3/4T. You can't have too much truck but is easy to have too little and when you find that out it may be too late. If the tail starts to wag the dog, the smaller truck doesn't have chance. I have had 2 occasions where my trailer (not a TT) started to sway (improperly loaded) and I was able to control it with my dually but it was no fun.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBarb View Post
We have a 2011 Ford F150 with upgraded towing and with all the great lite weight options out there my H said we should be ok.
You won't like pulling a 29' TT with a half ton pickup for any long distances, people who tell you otherwise should be ignored.