Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Dehumidifier or damp rid?

I just purchased a new Keystone TT and was I need of some opinions on moisture control for storage. It will be stored in a covered storage facility with power. I live in Washington state so it gets chilly and damp up here. Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2637946385.png
Views:	175
Size:	719.6 KB
ID:	9057  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #2

I have been using a dehumidifier for going on six years now. Will never to back to damp rid if I can help it. The only problem is that you need to figure out how to either run a drain line or dump the tank every three days.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will help 450 a bit here.. But consider this. De-humidifier requires 120vac. Damp Rid does not but.... I'd rather go with the De-Humidifier myself

To 450

Set the De-humidifier on the kitchen counter and run the drain line into the sink. You now have the capacity of yoru gray water tank. 1 gallon every 3 days means you can likely go 3 months on that tank (Assuming 30 gallon tank)

Or,,,, Well there are ways to run the line out the rig as well.. I have found several holes I have been able to run lines or cords out into the basement, and on my rig (Class A) the basement is drained as well via spitter valves (A form of check valve)
Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Damp rid doesn't have near enough capacity to pull the moisture out of an RV especially here in the NW. I've been using a dehumidifier for 4 years now and it's the only way to go. Biggest problem with a dehumidifier is that they only work down to a certain temperature. I run it any time the temperature is above 40F and the humidity is up.
I started out with a Soleus dehumidifier because they are so quiet. However I've gone through two of them now. The reliability factor is not there. I've only gotten a couple of years out of each one and then they quit working.
I ended up with a better dehumidifier but it has the same problem most of them do. It's noisy! But I'd rather have an operational unit than keep forking out $150 every couple of years.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #5

Thanks SO much for the feedback everyone!!! This is such a great place to get answers the questions I have about everything TT.

Well I think I'm going to invest in a dehumidifier, any thoughts on size?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in Houston which has a rather damp climate and a Damp Rid does not have enough capacity to do any real good. Visit Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a small mechanical unit for under $200.00.

Next problem is what to do with all of the water. Where we live and have the trailer stored under a shed on our acre, I set the dehumidifier in the tub and let the water run down the drain. We get a gallon about every two or three days.

If you can't drain the water, you will have to put it in your holding tanks and drain them when you get it full or visit the unit every few days and empty your internal tank manually.

Ken
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #7

We moved from S. California ten years ago to SW Oregon and were living in a 5th wheel. It was almost raining inside until we bought a dehumidifier. We pulled quarts of water out of the air before it dried out inside. The damp rid or similar pellets did not keep up with our moisture. If severe moisture is present you can't beat the dehumidifier. If you have a real moisture problem I'd suggest you buy a portable dehumidifier.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miw1971 View Post
Thanks SO much for the feedback everyone!!! This is such a great place to get answers the questions I have about everything TT.

This is the one we purchased for our 35' class A. Like the others say you do have to either keep dumping the bucket or figure out how to run a drain hose. You can set the humidity level you want to maintain.

Shop Frigidaire 25-Pint Dehumidifier at Lowes.com

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #9

DampRid FAQs

Quote:
How does DampRid remove excess moisture from the air?
DampRid’s white calcium chloride crystals absorb excess moisture in the air, bringing humidity to an ideal and safe level of about 50 percent humidity. Once the optimal level is reached DampRid slows down, and will restart when necessary
Calcium Chloride, DampRid or Dry-Z-Air, only work down to ~50% humidity. Once the humidity reaches that level the product will not pull moisture out of the humidity until the environment humidity goes back up.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miw1971 View Post

The biggest capacity one you can find. Also look at how far down in temps they will work. Did a google search for quality/reliability after my Sears one died for the second time, and bought online the one with the highest rating at the time. yes, i cracked a window and ran the hose out there. Did not want water going into the "P" trap and freezing.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #11

If it's going to be in storage then you don't have the problem of pulling out the moisture caused by living in it (breathing, prespiring, washing, showering).

When ours is in storage & plugged (Portland, OR area) in we use a small dehumidifier that works fine. It has a drain line built-in that you can use to drain outside but we find that's not needed as we check on the rig weekly and dump the tank of water at that time. After the first week in storage we could go 2-3 weeks between dumping it.

I have a review that I wrote at An RV Life | Mini Dehumidifier Review.

I will say that if you were living in the rig then this would not be a large enough dehumidifier.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #12

Well I purchased a 30 pint dehumidifier and its working great. I have a hose running outside, but I still check it every week or so. Thanks for all the advice!!!!