Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The window sticker in all likelihood gives the towing capacity as it came from the factory. The manual on the other hand is somewhat generic in that it covers all options available. There may have been a "trailer towing package" that was available at the time that increased the towing capacity from 5,000 lbs. to 8,700 lbs. If your window sticker does not indicate there is a trailer towing package installed you probably are limited to the 5,000 lbs. as noted.

We have a 2010 Ford Expedition with the trailer towing package. The package (larger cooling system, 4 and 7 pin trailer wiring harness, electronic brake hook up, HD flashers, larger transmission cooler, and hitch receiver) raises the towing capacity from 6,000 lbs. to 9,200 lbs.
There are probably other changes not listed like a different rear end ratio, larger brakes etc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #16

In many cases you can't buy the "Trailer towing package" unless some other option packages are also ordered. For our Expedition we also had to order the 3:73 differential and the 5.4 liter V8. Since it was a 4 wheel drive vehicle it already had larger brakes.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #17
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Did you read the question? " Any tips from more experienced travelers?"

My tip makes more sense than your tip, which is zero.
Unfortunately, your tip for the OP go ahead and tow without knowing what his truck is capable of, shows your experience.

Sorry if that offends you but that's just plain bad advise.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would say get your deposit back until you have more info. Tell them you'll be back if what the salesman told you is the truth. The problem is that you seem to be in a grey area of ability. Some will say it will others say no way. Some people get "white knuckles" easier than others. My 2500 Ram is rated to tow much more than I ever would with a 2500. Bottom line is, you are going to be the one behind the wheel with all the responsibility. Towing a TT with to much truck is never a problem and makes the drive much nicer.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My son pull his trailer and tractor just fine with his tundra.Attachment 112930
What does "just fine" really mean?

Where is the rig towed? How fast is it towed? What is the experience level compared to the OP? Are the weights over? How much? Is the unit on the road with his family and pets?

If fine means OK does just fine mean almost OK?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #20

If you have to add air bags, you don't have enough truck.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
My MKS with 365 HP and 350 ft lb torque is only rated to pull 1,000 lbs. :(
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #22

Sales people...

So being on the hunt for my first travel trailer and doing a lot of research I have learned two things... You want MORE truck then trailer and sales people will tell you anything to make the sell. If I had a buck for every time a salesperson has said "oh you can pull this 35 Fter with a 3/4 ton truck for sure".

It makes me so mad when I hear that.... and I have actually replied with my smart ass self something like sure I can if I want to live on the edge or only camp at the beach or on flat land ... oh but what if I want to stop and what if there is wind and what if I climb terrain and elevation????
I had a 4000 lb camper back a while ago, and I was close to my max pull weight.... it was a very SCARY moment every time we had to stop. WHITE KNUCKLES for sure.... and maybe a big request to the lord to help us stop if at all possible.
I will have from now on always have MORE TRUCK than trailer.

Whatever you need to learn this is the best place to ask questions. These people here are experienced and if you ask people will be more then happy to share their insight.
Dojo1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #23

l2yangpop,
I just got a 29ft trailer myself and tow it w/ an 09 Tundra 5.7 CrewMax w/ towing package. I did weeks of research on this topic, including getting help on this forum. You will find 2 camps here...the "sure you'll be fine b/c my brother in law does it with his" camp, and the "be smart and do the math" camp. Trust me, you want to be in the second camp. Just because you can tow it, doesn't mean you can tow (or more importantly stop it) reasonably and safely under adverse or sudden circumstances.

Forget the window sticker...use the stickers for weights in the doorjamb. Also, if your manual is like mine, it gets very specific and breaks down the capabilities for each model, engine option, lengths, door configuration, option package etc. I'm sure your true capacity is in that manual. If you are unsure whether you have the tow package, look at the instrument cluster...if you have a trans temp gauge, you have the tow package. If you are saying that you already did this, and you can tow 8700 pounds, then you now need to worry about payload. Get your truck weighed with a full tank and loaded with your family, etc. The easiest way to get this is to go to any local scrap yard and for 10 bucks they'll let you do it. Also get the weight of the front and rear separately, so you can compare to F/R GAWR. When you have the total gassed and loaded weight for the truck, subtract that number from the GVWR (7100)....that's how much weight you have on the rear to play with. The total towing capacity is not really your limitation, its the payload. Everything you "add" in the back you need to minus, so you need to calculate the tongue weight of the TT, the weight of the hitch, full propane tanks, etc. Also, don't go by the the TT makers' advertised hitch weight...you need to weigh that also (scrap yard again). You will absolutely need a weight distributing hitch to help. These steps are the only way to have peace of mind. Confirming that you have the tow package is crucial...you will likely be SOL if not. And as stated, don't go by the dealer...they told me I could tow my TT with my wife's 4runner! Good luck, and feel to ask me other stuff since we have very similar combinations.
Dave
daveRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
My MKS with 365 HP and 350 ft lb torque is only rated to pull 1,000 lbs. :(
Your towing capacity has nothing to do with lack of horsepower or torque. It has to do with your vehicle not having a frame suitable for towing more than a bicycle rack. Not sure what your point is.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #25

I would like to thank each of you individually but it would make this thread 5 pages long! You've all been so helpful. i asked the same question over at the rv forums because I needed to figure this out STAT so I could ask for my deposit back if necessary.

With your help I decided to ask for deposit back which they will do tomorrow. I'm back to the drawing board, much more prepared and smarter now thanks to ya'll. I'm going to check out shorter, lighter hybrids i think.
l2yangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Congrats! You can still tow a camping trailer so go out and find the right one for your truck. Many times I wish I had a smaller trailer so I could get in those cool smaller CG's. Let us know how the search is going.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:44 PM   #27

I have an 03 tundra. Its before the full size they make now so im not sure if your 08 is the smaller version or larger. I tow an equipment trailer once in a while and haul with a weight of around 6000lbs but I stay on back streets and am really careful. The trailer loaded pushes me anywhere it wants. Your combination needs to be sized where your comfortable or you wont have any fun and likely wont use it.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Congrats! You can still tow a camping trailer so go out and find the right one for your truck. Many times I wish I had a smaller trailer so I could get in those cool smaller CG's. Let us know how the search is going.
Do you say that because some have restrictions on length or just because of the hassle of trying to back in a big rig?
l2yangop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, tow