Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-30-2015, 07:01 AM   #29
Good call getting your deposit back.

timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #30
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by l2yangop View Post
Do you say that because some have restrictions on length or just because of the hassle of trying to back in a big rig?
I'm not H$X$, but I had an experience just yesterday that seems relevant.

I drove up the Kern River valley in CA yesterday just to look around. I cruised through many of the campgrounds that were open just to see what the spaces were like. Half had a little more than just enough room to park a car or pickup. A few had enough room for a very small trailer, maybe a pop-up or tent trailer, and a smallish tow vehicle. A handful had enough room for an RV, like a small motor home and a tiny toad.

And a couple or three had enough space for a trailer like mine and the tow vehicle to be able to park in the space given at the camp site.

No where did I see a sign that said there was a length limit in these concessionaire run USFS campgrounds. Length was limited by the spaces available, not by a rule that I could see when I entered the campground.

There were some primitive camping sites that could accommodate larger trailers, maybe up to almost thirty feet, but there was no way anyone was gonna get a big trailer or motor home in there and be able to maneuver around. The turns were too tight with rocks in the way, large rocks and small boulders.

There doesn't have to be a length rule if the rocks will enforce their own.

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #31
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can put a smaller TT into a larger suite but it doesn't work the other way. Gas stations and parking lots also seem a little smaller. My previous TT was 28 ft B to B so 31 is not that much different, but it is. The inside room of the new one is really nice and I could wait out a 3 day storm in it easy. So, I think I'll keep it. But it's not really camping with it.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #32
If you go on reserve America you list what equipment you have and its length. They will then give you the list of available sites. When you look at each site it will give you the max length for that site. It doesn't mean you will be able to fit your rig into it or even through the park. As mentioned there are trees, rocks and lots of other little things to make your day miserable.

I saw the biggest double door 5th wheel that I have ever seen trying to get into the site across from me in Rancharia Campground. After about 1 hour he gave up, the site was long enough. About 6 hours later he finally made it out of the campground. Tight tight corners, big rocks and huge Ponderosas.
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #33
Movability isn't just your TT length, it's also your TV and the tongue length. We have 20' box trailer. which should be able to get into most forestry camp sites. Between the short tongue and long wheel base of the long box Quad cab, a lot of sites are a challenge. Later models have longer tongues, about time.

adventure before dementia
Downwindtrac is offline   Reply With Quote

manual, tow