Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #1

Deposit down- Now I'm not sure I can tow it. manual not clear

Long time lurker, first time poster. Be gentle

So I put down a deposit on a 5500b 29ft travel trailer yesterday with the assurance from the sales people that my truck could handle it. I have a 2008 Tundra 1/4 ton 4x4. GVWR 7100lbs

Of course I had to double check his math when I got home and low and behold, my window sticker says a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. That seems low to me so I checked the manual. The manual says 8700 with GCWR of 14,000lbs. I can't get a straight answer from local dealerships, so here I am. Any tips from more experienced travelers?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Go to this site
Universal detailed VIN Decoder - free check vehicles from US/EU market VIN-Decoder.NET

Put in your VIN and it will bring provide detailed information on your truck. Go to the specifications and it will have the towing capacity.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2yangop View Post

So I put down a deposit on a 5500b 29ft travel trailer yesterday with the assurance from the sales people that my truck could handle it. I have a 2008 Tundra 1/4 ton 4x4. GVWR 7100lbs

Of course I had to double check his math when I got home and low and behold, my window sticker says a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. That seems low to me so I checked the manual. The manual says 8700 with GCWR of 14,000lbs. I can't get a straight answer from local dealerships, so here I am. Any tips from more experienced travelers?

You should be able to tow it just fine....You'll just need a bigger truck.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #4

Once you tow it loaded, you'll know if you have enough truck.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #5

Never trust an RV Salesman about what you can tow!!!

According to pretty much every salesman I've talked to, I should be able to tow a 33ft stick and tin quad bunkhouse loaded to the hilt....with all 6 of us and our crap in my 3/4ton Yukon.

I probably wouldn't have much trouble getting it rolling, but stopping and going to the mountains or cross country would never happen.

They look at me crazy when I tell them I want a 24ft rear bath.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

There are several good threads linking to a towing calculator. Get your real payload and axle ratings and check it out. You will probably be very close to the real max for your truck if not a little over. I suspect that the 5000lb limit is without a WD hitch. If you are lucky you can get away with a good WD+sway control hitch. There are several good threads on this topic as well. Finally you cab find the forum four trailer manufacturer. Someone there may be able to give you a better estimate of your loaded tongue weight.

You will find a lot of good info here. Towing with a half ton truck does require more attention to tow packages, payload, etc.

And, of course, a bigger truck never hurts (unless you have to pay for it or park it)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
What does the sticker on the door say?

Load your truck like you are going camping. Full fuel, passengers, bikes, cooler, grill etc.

Get the weight of the front axle, back axle and total weight.

Subtract the rear loaded axle weight from the GAWR (rear). Subtract an additional 100 lbs for the hitch. Take the weight that is left and divide by .1 or .15 to determine the maximum approximate GVWR of the trailer you should be towing.

Take the total weight of the truck and subtract it from the GVWR from the sticker. If it is more than the total of the trailer tongue weight plus 100 lbs for the hitch you maximum weight is OK.

If you are over on either GVWR or GAWR (rear) you are overloaded.

If the weight of the loaded truck plus the GVWR of the trailer exceeds the GCWR you are overloaded.

Some folks will tell you they can feel if they are OK or not. I do not trust these "testimonials" as I do not know their level of experience and the conditions they are referring to when they did it "with no problems". While indeed they may have had no problems, been lucky or did not recognize how close they were to the edge I would not send any of my family members with them.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Same question at RV.NET

Same answer >>>>>>>>>>NO

Your truck is not rated to tow that trailer.
Window Sticker is specific to that truck trim/factory option
Owners manual is generic and covers all trim levels of that model

That trailer is too heavy for your truck
You don't have tow package, trans cooler, payload capacity etc.

Get your deposit back ---------and have a long talk with that salesman (course he will deny when pushed for FACTS)
Old 11-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:

The window sticker in all likelihood gives the towing capacity as it came from the factory. The manual on the other hand is somewhat generic in that it covers all options available. There may have been a "trailer towing package" that was available at the time that increased the towing capacity from 5,000 lbs. to 8,700 lbs. If your window sticker does not indicate there is a trailer towing package installed you probably are limited to the 5,000 lbs. as noted.

We have a 2010 Ford Expedition with the trailer towing package. The package (larger cooling system, 4 and 7 pin trailer wiring harness, electronic brake hook up, HD flashers, larger transmission cooler, and hitch receiver) raises the towing capacity from 6,000 lbs. to 9,200 lbs.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #10
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Once you tow it loaded, you'll know if you have enough truck.
That's some bad advice!

Basically you're saying it's okay to tow unless it doesn't work!
Unfortunately, you'd have to tow it find out.

Too late for the OP and possibly others on the road if something failed! Like the brakes!
Old 11-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No one, that I have ever heard of, **ever** complained about having too much truck.

If that salesman and their company have any ethics at all, they should allow you to back out of the deal with your money if you cannot buy that trailer because you don't have enough truck to pull it. I hope they will treat you ethically. If they don't, out them by name.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
That's some bad advice!

Basically you're saying it's okay to tow unless it doesn't work!
Unfortunately, you'd have to tow it find out.

Too late for the OP and possibly others on the road if something failed! Like the brakes!
Did you read the question? " Any tips from more experienced travelers?"

My tip makes more sense than your tip, which is zero.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #13

My son pull his trailer and tractor just fine with his tundra.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448745803.899114.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	112930
Old 11-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #14

Quote:
l2yangop
Here are a few tips:
1.) Call Toyota at 800-331-4331 and ask how much your truck can tow?
2.) contact Toyota here: Contact Us | Contact Toyota
3.) if your truck is not heavy enough get your deposit back, or buy a different trick.

Oops!
I almost forgot the most important tip.
When a RV salesman's lips are moving he's more than likely lying.

Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
manual, tow