Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

Dewinterize travel trailer yourself or pay a dealer/service center to do it?

Bought a 2019 Keystone 21' travel trailer during winter (winterized w/ antifreeze) and not sure if I should try to de-winterize it myself having NO experience or should I tow it to a dealer to pay $150 to have it done? If its a simple job is there a "dummy-proof" step by step video out there someone could suggest? Any thoughts or help with this are appreciated. Thanks!
RyanPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Very easy, check out YouTube. Really depends on how they did it but not much to dewinterizing.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #3

The owner's manual probably has a step by step guide on how to winterize and de-winterize. Probably one of the easiest things to do in an RV. Biggest issue is remembering to on the by-pass valves to the hot water heater after rinsing out the drinking water tank.

De-winterizing takes less time than towing the RV to the dealer.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 PM   #4

That will be one of the first things you will appreciate doing by yourself. I routinely take mine out if weather permits, so I will winterize/unwinterize several times every winter. As someone else said, there are good guides to follow and the steps are pretty straightforward. Just don’t forget your outside shower if you have one

Enjoy!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #5

Do it your self. No doubt as it is kinda fun and easy. Yikes, they want $150 to do it??? That is highway robbery!!!

You may have a problem understanding the water heater bypass valve position as when it was winterized the, who knows how they left it the valve positions.

Make sure the water heater has water in it by hooking up a hose and turning on z hit water facet. You will not get water out of the faucet until the water heater is full. Either 6, 10, or 12 gallons so it will take awhile for it to fill up.

Agree with, Watch a few YouTube Videos on how to Winterize and un-winterize.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #6

Agree, it’s as simple as making your bed.
I always de-winterize and follow up with a sanitize with bleach.
Just be sure your water heater is in the bypass position while flushing the lines.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPetersen View Post
Bought a 2019 Keystone 21' travel trailer during winter (winterized w/ antifreeze) and not sure if I should try to de-winterize it myself having NO experience or should I tow it to a dealer to pay $150 to have it done? If its a simple job is there a "dummy-proof" step by step video out there someone could suggest? Any thoughts or help with this are appreciated. Thanks!
If you had winterized it yourself, you would easily see how easy it is. A 21 ft. Keystone probably does not have an ice maker or other fancy water appliances so it is simple.

The water heater has been drained. Leave it that way until the system has been flushed. The fresh water tank also has probably been drained. That is it does not have antifreeze in it.

You have two water inputs, the city water inlet and the fresh tank inlet. You should flush both.

Put water into the tank and turn on each faucet including toilet flush and outside taps. Don't forget any low point drains. Connect hose to city water and do the same. The antifreeze is red or pink. Flush until flow is clear and then some.

The water heater has one or two bypass valves. Turn them to the operating position and fill with water from tank or city water. You may have to screw in the water heater drain plug first.

Finally, sterilize the whole system. Some water heaters may not allow chlorine use. Wait to fill it until after sterilizing. The amount of standard unscented chlorine bleach is usually 1/4 cup for 40 gallons. Check your manual for correct amount. Flush all lines until you smell chlorine from each tap. Let set for 4 hours, longer for very cold water. Flush all taps again.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I would be happy to spend 15 minutes dewinterizing it for you for$150.00. I would even sanitize the lines and freshwater tank for an additional $150.00. JK Please don't pay to do this it is so easy.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #9

Ryan,
Just a note. You have not posted your details so I don't know where you are or exactly what model you have.
I live in Wisconsin. It is too early to de-winterize in Wisconsin. If the temperature in your area drops below freezing even for a short time you are likely going to sustain freeze damage. Every valve, pump, water heater, and appliance can be severely damaged if the temperature drops even 2 or 3 degrees below for one or two hours. A full fresh tank may not freeze for a couple of days at moderate below temps. Everything else will.
Heat in the cabin will protect a lot, but water heater would need to be on. Any pipe fittings and valves underneath are probably not protected. I have a Kodiak Cub that froze pipes underneath after two hours at 29 degrees. The Cub has an enclosed and "heated" underbelly.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 AM   #10

My TT was also dealer winterized when I bought it a little over a year ago. Water heater was not drained nor bypassed. Just FYI, it is a very easy task and is a good way to learn about your rig.
blindhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #11

When we had our TT and it came time to winterize it I asked the dealer about it. He said it would be $50. (2010)
He said that I could watch and learn then do it my self the next time.
I'm guessing if you called you dealer they may do the same for you, unless they're so swamped that they want your trailer for a week to do a 20-30 min job.

Other than that do like mentioned and YouTube or look in your RV's manuals to see if there's a winterizing/dewinterizing section.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #12

I would add my voice to those saying do it yourself. It takes me 20-30 mins on a small TT less time than it takes to tow to the dealer and just 2 bottles of antifreeze (for my TT) so about $120 cheaper! Oh, and I'm a newbie! We camp all year, so I've done this 3 or 4 times this season alone. YouTube was a great resource for instruction.
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:02 AM   #13

As others have said , de-winterize yourself . It's easier than packing for a trip.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #14

Super easy to do. It all depends on what your time is worth. By the time you hook up, take to the dealer, and then pick back up, you are actually saving both time and money doing it yourself.

Flush lines, add bleach mixture (1/4 cup bleach to 15 gallons of fresh water so if you have a 30 gallon fresh water tank you use 1/2 cup bleach and so on...) to your fresh water tank, pressurize the system (run the bleachwater mixture through every fixture including your outside shower and let the bleachwster mixture sit for a couple of hours to kill any bacteria, etc.). Then flush the system again by draining and running fresh clean water through every fixture for a few minutes. You're now finished and ready to camping.

Most folks will clean and check other systems while the bleachwater mixture sits for the couple hours needed to sanitize.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, service, trailer, travel, travel trailer, winter