Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Smile Dicor EPDM roof sealing question

So, there I was, getting my 2001 Prowler TT ready for sale, need to fix two last things. First, reseal the roof, no leaks, but the black membrane starting to show through, so I waited for the perfect day, high 70's, a little breezy, moderate humidity zero percent chance of rain for the next two days. . . . did I mention zero percent ( 0 % ) chance of rain!?! for the next two days, anyway, removed the AC shroud, two vent covers, inspected thoroughly for leaks, pulling seams, cracks, etc. washed with pressure washer & mild detergent & scrubby brush, then rinsed with pressure washer, let dry, sprayed on cleaner/activator (part 1) waited 20 minutes and pressure washed again, let dry, brushed on acrylic coating (part 2) around all vents, seams, edges, then rolled rest of roof, let dry, re brushed all seams, edges etc, rolled 2nd coat, let dry to touch . . . . then out of no where, crazy wind, and a frigging thunderstorm with heavy rain for about 15 minutes, then dried up and sun came out! The directions specifically state "Do not apply if weather conditions will not permit complete cure before rain, dew or freezing temperatures occur." It doesn't say what will happen if it DOES get rained on. The roof appears to be still intact, also appears (the day after) to have dried properly. Anyone have any experience with a newly applied Dicor EPCM roof that got wet after sealing??? Thanks. I'm going hunting for the weatherman.

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you don't see any bubbling or peeling of the coating, I think you dodged a bullet. You're going to sell it anyway, right?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you don't see any bubbling or pealing of the coating, I think you dodged a bullet. You're going to sell it anyway, right?
Now you know why I insisted on getting up on the roof of the Magna before we bought it! For some reason the dealer kept stalling me on that and the test drive.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #4

Quote:
If you don't see any bubbling or peeling of the coating, I think you dodged a bullet. You're going to sell it anyway, right?
Character is what you do when no one is looking. Ever heard of the golden rule?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

Dicor Roof

Quote:
Yes, I am going to sell it, but I like to treat everyone I'm selling something to as someone who I would like to see as a return customer. I tend to tell people everything that is wrong with something right up front. That is reflected in the price. Then I tell them what is RIGHT with the piece and why I think what I am asking is a fair price. Just like I am a firm believer in contracts, that way everyone knows (or at least SHOULD know) exactly what they are getting out of a deal. And yes, I'm one of those weird people who actually reads the fine print!
Anyway, the roof looks fine except for a little streaking. I found, like other people who have posted on this forum that I only used about half as much sealer on the roof as Dicor said I'd use, my roof is about 27' long by 8' wide, minus AC unit, vents etc, so probably about 210 square feet. Dicor says one gallon covers 125 square feet, so I ordered 4 gallons . . . . before I read the other posts by people who had resealed their roofs recently. Anyway, I have about 2 1/2 gallons left even trying to put it on thick. So I will probably go ahead and use the rest of the activator I didn't use, rinse it, and put one last coat on with the remaining 1/2 gallon, because the weather man says the next two days will be sunny with 0% chance of rain . . . . No I was never able to catch that weather man! Oh, one other thing, other than the roof, the LAST thing that needs to be done to the TT is remove part of the fiberglass outer panel on the slide and replace a portion of the plywood that was water damaged, never leaked into the trailer itself, and the buyer would probably never spot it on inspection, but since my big mouth would end up telling him/her, I want it fixed before I list it. Call me silly or whatever
Thanks for the replies on the forum, it's great to have a source of information not reliant upon manufactures, dealers, or repair shops!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So the roof lasted 14 years without re-sealing or replacement ??

That's not bad at all.

And you opted for a re-seal, rather than replace with new EPDM. How long do you expect the re-seal to last?
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #7

re-seal vrs re-place roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
So the roof lasted 14 years without re-sealing or replacement ??

That's not bad at all.

And you opted for a re-seal, rather than replace with new EPDM. How long do you expect the re-seal to last?
We purchased this TT 3 years ago to get out feet wet and see if we liked the life style. It has served us extremely well in that time, and has been kept up at least as well as the previous owner kept it up. I am assuming that the roof was re-sealed at least once prior to my purchasing it.

The underlaying EPDM membrane appears to be in great shape, never leaked, no damage or patches, (falling branches etc). It is still pliable and soft, so yes, I opted to re-seal it in accordance with the manufactures instructions instead of tearing off and replacing.

I'm not an expert here on any of this, but I'm a firm believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle. Barring any additional damage (hail, branches, nuclear blast, etc) I would expect the new owners to get a minimum of 3 to 5 year years trouble free use out of the roof with only periodic inspections, and required re-sealing of caulking etc.

Someone like us, who isn't wanting to break the bank with a new TT purchase will get a nice trailer for a reasonable price and have more than a few years of useful life out of it.

Maybe they will then move up to a motor home like we did and pass it on to someone else!
Old 05-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
We purchased this TT 3 years ago to get out feet wet and see if we liked the life style. It has served us extremely well in that time, and has been kept up at least as well as the previous owner kept it up. I am assuming that the roof was re-sealed at least once prior to my purchasing it.

The underlaying EPDM membrane appears to be in great shape, never leaked, no damage or patches, (falling branches etc). It is still pliable and soft, so yes, I opted to re-seal it in accordance with the manufactures instructions instead of tearing off and replacing.

I'm not an expert here on any of this, but I'm a firm believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle. Barring any additional damage (hail, branches, nuclear blast, etc) I would expect the new owners to get a minimum of 3 to 5 year years trouble free use out of the roof with only periodic inspections, and required re-sealing of caulking etc.

Someone like us, who isn't wanting to break the bank with a new TT purchase will get a nice trailer for a reasonable price and have more than a few years of useful life out of it.

Maybe they will then move up to a motor home like we did and pass it on to someone else!
That's encouraging. Was just up on our roof putting on the third solar panel and thought "I sure don't want to replace the roofing anytime soon".

But the sealer would be a lot easier to do as I could leave the brackets in place and just remove the panels.

Thanks.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Character is what you do when no one is looking. Ever heard of the golden rule?
I wasn't suggesting that the OP should hide what he did. I was saying that if no bubbling or peeling of the coating was evident, it probably cured before the rain came. I was saying that he was going to sell the unit, so long term worry about the roof wouldn't be his issue. I'm sure the roof will be fine.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, roof, seal