Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #1

Did a Stupid!

I am just going to tell on myself to possibly save somebody else the embarrassment.

Was camping for three nights and had a mishap before coming home yesterday.
The VERY LAST thing I do is shut and LOCK the door before I crank the levelers up on our TT before I hook to the hitch.

Was on the last leveler and felt the trailer shift a little (not good), ran around to the other side to see my wife step out the door about the time it came off the tonque jack. BANG!

Scared the jeebies out of both of us so we sat down and had a discussion about what we both did wrong. Luckily I carry tools and had my hyd jack and some extra blocks.

Long story short, Checklist, checklist, checklist.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #2

Last thing one does when breaking camp
Remove wheel chocks and then final walk around

(trailer already hitched, plugged in and ready to roll)

WHEEL CHOCKS

1st ON----LAST OFF

Old 06-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #3

Is your tongue jack not attached to your trailer? Like welded on?
Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Admittedly a little confused at your post.... An open door caused your trailer to fall off the tongue jack????
Old 06-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Me three...not understanding what actually happened? Trailer roll forward/backward?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #6

My guess is the tongue jack was set on a block or something and shifted off. As stated, properly chocked wheels would prevent this from happening.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

Did a Stupid

Not my first rodeo folks. This was our first mishap in 36 years.

1) I should have backed up a hair before I ran the tonque jack down as it was on a high spot (guessing a root now) on the paved parking apron. My bad.

2) Reason to lock door upon closing is so somebody DOES NOT enter while stuff is going on outside. Wife opened the door and not thinking dashed back inside to grab her camera.

3) Yes, I use and know how to chock the wheels.

4) Never let yourself be rushed by somebody waiting for your spot, go through your checklist no matter what.

5) Go ahead and list one of your mishaps and I can list all of the things you did wrong also.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #8

So I think the question everyone is asking, did you have the trailer attached to the tow vehicle prior to moving the wheel chocks, or did you move the wheel chocks so you could line up the hitch. I don't think anyone is trying to tell you how to do it or thinks you don't know what you are doing.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #9

I don't understand why everyone feels the need to tell you how you messed up. No one was hurt so move on and thanks for sharing your experience. If you never make a mistake, it can only be because your not doing anything.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #10

Glad everything turned out ok.
I think what he was trying to tell everyone is he raised the leveler jacks
And his wife stepped out of camper and the front lifted up . If you read his post he said the hitch was not on the ball yet. He didn't say he removed the wheel chocks . With the weight of the trailer coming back down on ball wouldn't take much to slide off the ball. i think everyone has had some mishap or another before . Cut him some slack !!!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 PM   #11

DW asks if its OK to add treatment to black? Yep, go ahead...........Later she notices the dump valve is still open.....................My sign is here somewhere
Old 06-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnative1948 View Post
I am just going to tell on myself to possibly save somebody else the embarrassment.

Was camping for three nights and had a mishap before coming home yesterday.
The VERY LAST thing I do is shut and LOCK the door before I crank the levelers up on our TT before I hook to the hitch.

Was on the last leveler and felt the trailer shift a little (not good), ran around to the other side to see my wife step out the door about the time it came off the tonque jack. BANG!

Scared the jeebies out of both of us so we sat down and had a discussion about what we both did wrong. Luckily I carry tools and had my hyd jack and some extra blocks.

Long story short, Checklist, checklist, checklist.
Don't worry, I'm a newbie and I'm sure I will have some beauties to share. Like our first camp. I first put the steps out and put step savers on. Doh. Then put the tongue on the ground and started leveling. Noticed before we did any damage. Man I would have cried like a baby if I had damaged my sparkling new TT. Lol
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

Hmmm. Let me think...

Left the stairs down then pulled off ($300)

Left the chains connected and pulled off ($0 but one loud thud as it fell off the block)

Left one jack down and pulled off ($100)

Left black valve closed when back flushing ($25, wet insulation and a chance to open up (rather hack up) my underbelly.

The list goes on.

I, like most of the folks here read about these type of experiences very closely so we can see what went wrong and "test" our knowledge and practices to see if we need to change.

It may come across as critical but I think I speak for the majority here, we appreciate you sharing your experiences and please continue.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I think we have all done something stupid. The trick is to not repeat them. I'll tell you about my next "stupid" when it happens.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote