Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Did tour trailer ship with balanced tires-wheels.

We bought a Nash 17K and I noticed they did not bother to balance the AL wheels and Goodyear marathons. Really...... love the trailer quality otherwise but is this standard practice in the RV industry or did this one sneak pass quality control?
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thor/Keystone - no balance. Shook most of the screws out of the skirting in 80 miles.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Thor/Keystone - no balance. Shook most of the screws out of the skirting in 80 miles.
You got to pick yours up from the factory?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

Very few companies (if any) go to the time or expense to balance the tires. I can't name one that does!
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Very few companies (if any) go to the time or expense to balance the tires. I can't name one that does!
You would think they would at least throw a bubble balance on them. Seems that adding 1 hr to the process to save ownčrs a lot of possible grief would boost customer relations instead of damaging them. I guess they have a industry image to uphold.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #6

Buy some new tires from Les Schwab. They will be balanced.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
You got to pick yours up from the factory?
That's a fair point, but my guess is that they repair stuff after arrival.. They delivered it to the dealer, not sure in what condition, but 80 miles after I drove it off the lot, most of the skirting screws were backed out. I re-installed them with a little sealant, got rid of the factory tires, installed new tires and had them balanced.

OP: Marathons are a much better tire than what I got...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Buy some new tires from Les Schwab. They will be balanced.
Brilliant!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #9

Do a search for GY marathons. They may be better than some, but they still get poor ratings.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #10

Nope, gy marathons were shot before 2 yrs due to not being balanced. Maxis is the best tire I found. Load range e
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:56 AM   #11

This balance thing comes up often. I have yet to see where anyone checked the balance of the hubs/brake drums. These items are not balanced from the factory so balancing the tires is futile. If balancing the tires only makes you feel good, go for it. I balance the entire assembly on mine.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
This balance thing comes up often. I have yet to see where anyone checked the balance of the hubs/brake drums. These items are not balanced from the factory so balancing the tires is futile. If balancing the tires only makes you feel good, go for it. I balance the entire assembly on mine.
That's silly. Do they balance car hubs and drums when you get a new set of tires and yet by balancing the tire vibration and tire bounce mysteriously goes away. I guess it is futile and just my imagination.....The rotating weight farthest from the axle has the most effect and a tire balance resolves MOST bounce-vibration issues. YRMV
Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

Anyone tried balance beads? I've used them in my Wrangler with 35" MTR/K's that would never maintain balance past 1-2k miles. Threw those beads in there and haven't had a balance issue in about 15k miles.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
That's silly. Do they balance car hubs and drums when you get a new set of tires and yet by balancing the tire vibration and tire bounce mysteriously goes away. I guess it is futile and just my imagination.....The rotating weight farthest from the axle has the most effect and a tire balance resolves MOST bounce-vibration issues. YRMV
Car hubs are balanced when manufactured, trailer hubs are not. I have had some that required 5+ oz of weight at the wheel rim to compensate. If you want to know what silly is, it is those that have no clue about how well their equipment is made. Again, I check mine and haven't come across anyone that has ever checked theirs.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires