Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2005, 06:09 AM   #1

Has anyone seen the results of removing the bench-type dinette and replacing it with a free-standing table and chairs? How much of a visual scar is left on the rug that was under the dinette? Is there many unsightly marks left on the walls? Is this a project that you would recommend?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2005, 06:09 AM   #2

Has anyone seen the results of removing the bench-type dinette and replacing it with a free-standing table and chairs? How much of a visual scar is left on the rug that was under the dinette? Is there many unsightly marks left on the walls? Is this a project that you would recommend?

Old 10-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #3

My friend removed the dinette in his class C and replaced all carpet in the living/dining area with a Pergo type wood floor. When he pulled the dinette it was not that pretty, definitely needed the refinishing, but that was his intention. The room it created was quite noticable, both visually and physically. Of course now that I think about it, he had a lot of hardware underneath for the seatbelts. It'll make a good winter project. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #4

My DH removed our dinette. It did leave a few wall scars, but they were easily removed or covered. The floor was also scared, but we put an area rug down and it is fine. Now we have much more comfortable seating.

Cynthia
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #5

I considered removing the dinette benches and leaving the free standing table im my TT. I even purchased the (what I thought ) was the perfect set of chairs to replace the benches. However, after detailed measuring, I found the chairs did not allow enough room to make a difference. So be sure you measure properly before you remove the dinette.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #6

The first mod we did was remove the dinette benches, and left the table. We used standard office type chairs for two years. We have since removed the table and couch, and bought Lazy Boy recliners, and use tv trays.

We gained enough room that you'd think we added a slide.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadTrip View Post
My DH removed our dinette. It did leave a few wall scars, but they were easily removed or covered. The floor was also scared, but we put an area rug down and it is fine. Now we have much more comfortable seating.

Cynthia
pretty long list very impressive lots of thought
brianj
Old 11-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #8

Hi, Mrs. Movin On here. We took out the dinette in our 2002 Itasca Horizon and replaced it with a credenza with fold out table. The rug was clean with no scars. There were a few holes in the sidewall where we had removed screws from the dinette. No problem we used the same holes to fasten the new credenza into to. Nice and secure. We have cherry cabinets but got a new credenza from a Dutch Star and it was oak. Not a problem, I sanded it and stained it a blackwash and the urathaned it. It is beautiful, has three draws on the right hand side, draw and cabinet on left side. I do not miss any storage at all and the new storage I have is better. Give it a shot, what do you have to loose. Regards, Mrs. Movin On
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We removed the dining booth from our DPDS and replaced it with a drop leaf free standing table. Carpet underneath was clear and in great shape with no scars. The wall was much different. We had several holes from the screws and table. I installed wainscoting on the wall and painted it. This entire project was easy and it looks 100% better, not to mention the extra room we now have. We purchased 2 folding oak chairs and seat cushions from Ikea for extra guests. Both fold and are stored easily in the closet. Would not hesitate one mil-a second to do it again if the occasion ever arises again.
Jol912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #10

I did it it did not look bad the carpet came back up
Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Pghwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Pghwizard
Man this has me thinking, I'd love to put pergo floors in mine..
Old 12-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #12

derfr, you might want to post you question on the Montana Owners forum. Plenty of folks there that have made some major mods to their Montanas. You might even find someone with the same model who has done such a mod and has pics to share.
Good luck with your endevor
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Diesel Dually, 2012 Redwood 36RL, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H rated tires, 5.5K Onan, dual awnings & ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, combo washer/dryer, 4 door fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Pghwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Pghwizard
Is there any reason I couldn't add tile floor to the bathroom? I mean what could we be talking 8 to 12 tile? Can't be that much weight so I wouldn't think that would be an issue. Make it so much nicer looking and better to clean....
Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
GPW

I'd like to replace my dinette with a nice comfy Sofa! ... with a bunch of pillows (decorative)... Will have to be LIGHT !!! After a few minutes those factory dinette cushions begin not to ...