Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Disc Brakes

Has anybody had disc brakes put on their travel trailer?

Regards,
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

No, but why would you want to?

Disk brakes means hydraulic brakes. So you have to have a hydraulic master cylinder, then some way to actuate the master cylinder to activate the brakes. Electric over hydraulic is the most common way for high-end boat trailers to control disk brakes. Some use vacuum over hydraulic, and some use something similar to the big-rig trucker's system of air brakes (air over hydraulic). I've also seen high-end LQ horse trailers and race trailers with hydraulic disk brakes controlled by electric, vacuum or air controllers. But RV trailers? They gotta be rare.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I'm not at all impressed with the brakes on our new Jayco. Before I start turning wrenches, I will have the dealership take the wheels and drums off and see if the brake shoes may have been put on backwards. I want everything to stop when I hit the brakes.

And, they are not as complicated as you state.

Semi trucks don't use air/hydraulic systems. Air only. Anyway in 20+ years of truck driving, I've never checked fluid for the brakeing system.

Some military vehicles uses air/hydraulic systems. And when the master-vac goes out on a 10 ton tractor pulling a low boy trailer, with a D-7F dozer on it, it gives you a pucker factor X10.

Regards,
Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am considering an electro-hydraulic system. The manufacturer of my last camper went totally away from electric several years ago. It is a pretty simple system, and the respone is fast and effective. I tested the difference between the two and would have done the mod if I was to keep the trailer.

I understand that it's about a grand an axle.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
I am considering an electro-hydraulic system. The manufacturer of my last camper went totally away from electric several years ago. It is a pretty simple system, and the respone is fast and effective. I tested the difference between the two and would have done the mod if I was to keep the trailer.

I understand that it's about a grand an axle.
The total price, I don't know yet. I don't know if it would be worth the extra money to go with the IS system and brakes, or just the brakes. We are kicking that idea around. It's a new trailer, and, we are going to keep it for several years, so we may break out the checkbook and go the whole bit. I need to call Mor-ryde and see what they say. I know that I'm very picky about my vehicles, brakes, ect. I guess it comes from all those years of driving.

Regards,
Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

Disk brakes means hydraulic brakes. So you have to have a hydraulic master cylinder, then some way to actuate the master cylinder to activate the brakes. Electric over hydraulic is the most common way for high-end boat trailers to control disk brakes. Some use vacuum over hydraulic, and some use something similar to the big-rig trucker's system of air brakes (air over hydraulic). I've also seen high-end LQ horse trailers and race trailers with hydraulic disk brakes controlled by electric, vacuum or air controllers. But RV trailers? They gotta be rare.
You are mistaken. totally electric disc brakes for trailers have been around for many years. Titan is one of many manufacturers that make kits to do so.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes