Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #15

My opinion - Strive for 35% and demand 30%. It's that simple.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
^^^^ that's it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
Example from what I'm reading....
new RV @ 25K MSRP
dealer discount of 30% = $7500
new RV now = 15K
minus drive off depreciation @6% of MSRP = $1500
new RV value before use

seems like new math to me. Where have I got it wrong?
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. RV's are one of the worst money pits. Unless you full time with it you are only getting personal satisfaction out of it. Unlike an auto that's used 24/7 365 as needed, an RV can sit for months on end all the while depreciating. The biggest money losers are the high end units that sell for $90,000 after the msrp discount. After 5 years of use at 6% depreciation yearly it's only worth $66,000. A loss of $34,000.
The $25,000 unit you talking about @$15000 will only lose $4,000 over 5 years.
I see owners of high end units as not only being able to afford the purchase but also being able to afford the depreciation.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Being upside down on an RV is not a good place to be with this economy. RV's are a luxury impulse purchase way to many times.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Certain brands don't seem to discount as well. Northwood, Grand Design and Lance seem to be tougher to get discounts. With Northwood and Lance my guess is that it's because they're smaller mfg's and don't have the inventory of the big Indiana mfgs.
With Grand Design it's harder to get discounts because they don't allow dealers to show big discounts on the net. So you have no way of competing with any other dealer.

All 3 don't let discount dealers sell their trailers either.
With that being said I would expect 25% off from those 3. 30%+ from any other mfg
That is what I found.

I finalized a deal on a Grand Design 2800BH. Dealer's MSRP quotes for units with the exact same options varied from a high of $39,553 to a low of $34,490.

There are only 4 dealers within 400 miles of our home here in Florida. It's not like negotiation a car deal with 25 Ford dealers within 50 miles and they all have the same exact inventory in stock.

The closest dealer, Lazydays.com, lowest quote was $30,061 with their quoted MSRP of $36,710.

The final negotiated price was from the 2nd closest dealer for $26,192. That was 30.2% below THEIR quoted MSRP of $36,400.

GeneralRV was said they might match but it was a 4 hour drive one way. They have a dealership only about 65 miles from our home but they can't sell or deliver Grand Designs from that location because GD only allows one dealer in a geographical location.
Flyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #20

Camping World is advertising 45% off for model year close out sale.
If you buy their BS.

pointrow
Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
Camping World is advertising 45% off for model year close out sale.
If you buy their BS.

pointrow
You must be referring to this TV advertisement.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AMFo/camping...45-percent-off

The fine print is hard to read but I believe it is for one stock number that was available at the time of the advertisement production.
Flyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:13 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I could be wrong, but isn't camping world, good sam, and irv.net all owned by the same guy?