Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 11:37 PM   #1

Discount off MSRP? What to strive for!

I searched the forum but couldn't find the answer so here goes.

I'm a newbie to Travel Trailers. We're looking to buy new.

What is a reasonable negotiated discount off MSRP? We're looking at Keystone, Grand Design and possibly Forest Rivers as typical brands. Looking at 22-29 foot light weighs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 12:26 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyct View Post
I searched the forum but couldn't find the answer so here goes.

I'm a newbie to Travel Trailers. We're looking to buy new.

What is a reasonable negotiated discount off MSRP? We're looking at Keystone, Grand Design and possibly Forest Rivers as typical brands. Looking at 22-29 foot light weighs.
I haven't purchased a TT but I have a few vehicles. Usually I don't focus on MSRP or % off. I ask to see the invoice and tell them I'll pay 100$ over the invoice. I read an article in a financial magazine that said if the dealer gets 50$ over invoice they are doing good. That's always worked for me. Of course, that's if the current sales (rebates, discounts, etc) can't get me lower (because you don't get both, sales are usually only good on MSRP).

Asking to SEE the invoice with your own eyes (I've had them try to "tell" me, no no, I want to see it) for the part number is the first thing I do regardless. It tells me the number I need to beat with current sales. They usually look shocked, or sort of offended, kind of like when you ask a lawyer to see his bar license or a judge to state his oath on the record, so ask very nicely and nonchalant.

Again, I'm not certain the purchase process is the same but I imagine it can't be much different.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndLater View Post
I read an article in a financial magazine that said if the dealer gets 50$ over invoice they are doing good. That's always worked for me. Of course, that's if the current sales (rebates, discounts, etc) can't get me lower (because you don't get both, sales are usually only good on MSRP).
This isn't true. You should be able to stack the discounts on top of what ever you negotiate off MSRP (I've never paid more than $300 under "invoice" and still then kept all rebates).
The dealer will get end of month sales bonuses from the manufacturer for hitting certain targets so even at $300 under invoice they are making money (of course the dealer will belly moan that they're not). Now, this all applies to cars.
RV's are another story. Basically their "invoices" aren't worth the paper they're printed on. When I bought my camper one dealer showed me an invoice showing their cost was only about 10% under MSRP and of course the dealer "just couldn't go any lower".
I walked, went to a dealer that sells some volume, and got 33% off MSRP for the exact same unit.
There are several posts on here about this topic (may not be labeled as same) but general rule of thumb is 25-35% off MSRP for RV's.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Certain brands don't seem to discount as well. Northwood, Grand Design and Lance seem to be tougher to get discounts. With Northwood and Lance my guess is that it's because they're smaller mfg's and don't have th inventory of the big Indiana mfgs.
With Grand Design it's harder to get discounts because they don't allow dealers to show big discounts on the net. So you have no way of competing with any other dealer.

All 3 don't let discount dealers sell their trailers either.
With that being said I would expect 25% off from those 3. 30%+ from any other mfg
Old 10-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #6

I discovered that two dealerships an hour each side of me had a MRSP discrepancy of $2000 between them. The MRSP is a hard base to negotiate with as one dealership will throw up a huge suggested price and discount from that making one think they are getting a deal.

Shop around and don't rush
Old 10-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarado View Post
I discovered that two dealerships an hour each side of me had a MRSP discrepancy of $2000 between them. The MRSP is a hard base to negotiate with as one dealership will throw up a huge suggested price and discount from that making one think they are getting a deal.

Shop around and don't rush
It could be that options may have been different on the two TT's At local Lazydays dealership Same coach had up to $2k different MSRP's. When I looked further there were different options. One was pre-wired for a 2nd AC unit with 50 AMP service vs 30 amp service. Another had a option for Bike Storage. etc.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyct View Post
It could be that options may have been different on the two TT's At local Lazydays dealership Same coach had up to $2k different MSRP's. When I looked further there were different options. One was pre-wired for a 2nd AC unit with 50 AMP service vs 30 amp service. Another had a option for Bike Storage. etc.
Same model of Jayco's Hummingbirds...the cheaper unit had the portable BBQ and power jack the higher MSRP unit had the 24" TV/mount and bike rack. I was being kind to the dealership with the $2000 higher MRSP giving a little allowances in value of options. The actual difference in MRSP was $2500
Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 PM   #9

Florida is a tougher place to get discount due to decreased competition and higher costs to bring the unit to the area. Even posted MSRPs may be higher then in Michigan and Indiana by several thousands. But 25% should be doable.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #10

I built 1 on the Jayco wesite to get a MSRP. The largest Jayco dealer in the US is only 15 miles from me.

Negotiated 33% off MSRP. and delivery to Ca. I had to wait 4 months for it to be built and delivered.

Because of their high volume I think it was easier to get a good discount. Just my experience.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #11

I've bought 2 new trailers over the last 5 years and have managed about 35% off MSRP on both. Use sites like RVTrader and RVT to search for your model and you'll find dealers with bottom line pricing. Then, decide if you want to drive to get it or at least use that as negotiating power with your local dealer.

I paid $1500 more than I could have got my Keystone Hideout for 500 miles away. One was for the obvious reason of avoiding the drive but there is also some value in having a local dealer for warranty work. Although, as a side note, after 10 months I'm happy to report not one thing has gone wrong.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

My experience has been the 25-35% rule of thumb mentioned already. Good luck with your negotiations. Time of year, how long the unit has been at the dealership, and location can also have a big impact on negotiations.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #13

Agree 30-35% depending on time of year and popularity of model. They make their money off of all the crap they try to sell you with it.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #14

Example from what I'm reading....
new RV @ 25K MSRP
dealer discount of 30% = $7500
new RV now = 15K
minus drive off depreciation @6% of MSRP = $1500
new RV value before use

seems like new math to me. Where have I got it wrong?