Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #15

Ditto on the over thinking. Buy good tires and run "em. That's what they are designed for! Our general rule of thumb is we want to be set up by 4pm and we don't like to leave before 10am. So we have about a maximum 6-hour travel day in mind regardless of the time of year, heat, cold, etc. I have Goodyear Endurance tires on the TT and never worry about them. Had china bombs and worried myself sick.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 04:43 AM   #16

Did 714 miles towing from New Orleans to Louisville the other day. Stopped twice for gas and food. No tire breaks were considered. If your tires need breaks to cool down or whatever it sounds like you have over loaded tires or improperly rated tires.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:55 AM   #17

Yeah, I'm thinking at this point 10am to 4pm is the best time to travel. I suppose the best thing to do in extreme hot weather, is keep the pressure checked. Pressure is obviously more an issue than temperature, however temperature could affect pressure. Or, maybe I am just over-thinking it.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
The cold inflation pressure takes into consideration the increase in pressure as the tires warm up. Do not remove air when underway because the pressure has risen. Adjust only as needed when the tires are cold.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #19

I give trailer tires a rest at five years old. A permanent rest when I replace them.
Other than that they get regular pressure checks and I grab each hub at gas stops to check for excessive temperature. The IR thermometer is on my next harbor freight run
Old 03-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWave View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking at this point 10am to 4pm is the best time to travel. I suppose the best thing to do in extreme hot weather, is keep the pressure checked. Pressure is obviously more an issue than temperature, however temperature could affect pressure. Or, maybe I am just over-thinking it.

Check/adjust tires pressure in AM on day of travel....COLD

Then again on NEXT travel day....COLD

2 best concepts for tires
COLD inflation and WEIGHT

Get weighed 'camp ready'
Adjust tires COLD

Then GO...enjoy!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Check/adjust tires pressure in AM on day of travel....COLD

Then again on NEXT travel day....COLD

2 best concepts for tires
COLD inflation and WEIGHT

Get weighed 'camp ready'
Adjust tires COLD

Then GO...enjoy!!
This ^^^^^^

Under inflation causes the sidewalls to flex more, producing more heat. Heat is what kills tires.

Under inflation also causes the weight to be carried by the outside edges of the tire tread. Causing those edges to heat up.

Nevermind the squirmy ride.

When they say "Max. Cold Inflation pressure", they mean Cold. They've factored in the temperature (and pressure) rise from usage.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #22

Hardest thing on rv/trailer tires is storage. If storing for more than a month manufacturers recommend adding 25% psi over the max psi rating on the tire. But very few know this, and most tires in storage are under inflated.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:01 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Where did you get that information? Which manufacturers?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Where did you get that information? Which manufacturers?

Right from the manufacturers website under rv tire maintenance, and rv tire storage.
Towmaxtires.com, or Goodyearrvtires.com

Good info that most people don’t read.

States: Inflate tire to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturers inflation capacity is not exceeded.

Most tires in storage aren’t even up to operating psi, and people don’t understand why they have cracking, and subsequent blow outs.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Right from the manufacturers website under rv tire maintenance, and rv tire storage.
Towmaxtires.com, or Goodyearrvtires.com

Good info that most people don’t read.

States: Inflate tire to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturers inflation capacity is not exceeded.

Most tires in storage aren’t even up to operating psi, and people don’t understand why they have cracking, and subsequent blow outs.
This is prolly for the same reason you store cars on blocks.

To keep the sidewalls from flexing too much.

I hadn't heard of that tactic, but it makes sense.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #26

The max psi on my Towmax tires have a max psi of 50, but I only go 20% which puts me right at 60 psi while in storage. Always take the compressor with me to the storage yard and air them up after I get it parked. Have always done this with all my RV’s including a class C, and a Class A DP.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Links to the info:
http://towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing...on=maintenance
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx

Thanks for letting us know about this.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #28

Our 5'er tires get a rest when we stop at a rest area to walk the dog or we have to stop and gas up or we stop for lunch break or when we call it a day and stop for the night. If them there tires can't handle our travel times ....Then they're sum wussie tires!

Tags
tires, travel