Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
DIY Curved Shower Rod Mod

I added perhaps the most beneficial bath mod a big guy like me can possibly add this morning. A curved shower rod. I've wanted to add on for some time but have been to cheap to buy one. I stopped by Lowes, picked up a few pieces of 1/2" PVC, two galvanized 1/2" flanges, and in 15 minutes, I'd assembled the rod pictured. Makes all the difference in the world!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3952411809.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	33480   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2932207547.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	33481  

Name:	image-599296887.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	33482  

GospelWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

You are my hero! I wanted to do that before but chickened out of removing the glass walls....

Did you remove the glass walls and door? How did you do it?

Mine is like this....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JC8IM1MXpg4G_nm.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	33483  

Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does your shower curtain stay inside? DH is a big guy too, but we have been afraid to change out to the curved one and possibly get wet floors.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
My TT did not have glass doors. Just curtain. I haven't tested it yet but I have a full size home shower curtain on it and it seems to have plenty hanging down and plenty on the sides to stop the water.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Most of those for the s&b extend out over the edges and
just have a long enough shower curtain to redirect the water back into the shower basin....
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
One can purchase longer shower curtains. I converted mine a while back. I put ss screws in where all the little mounting holes for fhe sdoor system was. Used clear silicone first then set screws etc. More room less weight. I purchased the pre curved rod for looks as my system was just the tub shwr not the corner unit. Last touch was velcro dots to contain water at sides.
When not in use we tie the curtain back. Oh and its a non plastic curtain. Something about plastic makes me cringe :-)
1999 National Dolphin
1995 Range Rover County SWB.
Sailor, Dickens, Zooki, Koko.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Originally Posted by lgarcia View Post
Does your shower curtain stay inside? DH is a big guy too, but we have been afraid to change out to the curved one and possibly get wet floors.
I was in a friend of a friend's trailer years ago who did a similar mod and I figured I'd mention it due to the comment about the curtain staying inside the shower pan area.

His mod consisted of something similar as far as the curtain rod goes but he also added a second one with a slightly tighter / less curve at the bottom that followed the curve of the shower pan. If I remember correctly, this lower one had a pivot on the one side at the wall bracket so you could lift it (almost like a lift gate) and clip it to the wall, out of the way, when it wasn't in use. (maybe a velco strap or something, I don't remember) When it was lowered for use, it dropped into a bracket on the opposite wall and the rod went on the outside of the curtain, roughly 3-4 inches above the shower pan, just to keep the curtain inside and the water from spilling out in the event that an elbow (or something) accidently touched the side and moved the bottom of the curtain out of the shower. (thus spilling water all over the floor)

(EDIT) - he also wieghted the bottom of his curtain with a few fishing weights to help keep it from moving. It's all coming back to me now.

Essentially, all this did was keep the curtain tight at the bottom for drainage and "flared" at the top for elbow room. I recall seeing it and not taking much notice since I didn't have a trailer back then; but now I'm thinking "what a good idea that was".

I also remember looking at the bathroom and thinking "maybe you should remove the shower curtain and let the water clean this place" (He had the biggest cooler of icy beer outside and I was thirsty so I just kept my mouth shut)
bagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Looks great. I've been wondering about such a mod in recent weeks!
Benji343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
I had the first shower today! Worked exactly as planned! Love not having the curtain stick to my body!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
How did you put the curve into the curved piece of shower curtain rod? My wife is begging me for this mod. I see how the ends are put together but my eyes are older and can't quite make out how the curve is put together. Also how did you support the center of the rod so that the curtain slides to the side when done showering?

LaredoDave is offline   Reply With Quote