Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #15

Wow! Thanks for all the additional comments and suggestions!

SmokeyWren you're going WAY beyond the call of duty here and we sure appreciate all the time you're devoting to helping us out. Since both you and Jesilvas are indicating that this won't be as expensive as we once thought, we are really happy and are now eager to start seriously looking into this.

Jesilvas, thanks for those links to Atwood and also for the dimensions. I thought there wasn't a lot of difference between the 6 and 10 gallon models. Thanks so much for taking the time to look that up.

Pertaining to the LivinLite trailers --and thanks, gggplaya, for the suggestion-- that was actually the very first manufacturer we thought about and started researching when we first began to ponder this several months ago.

We have a relationship with the owner of a small dealership that once carried their products and asked him if LivinLite would do custom work such as we wanted. He told us they didn't and actually discouraged us from that line completely. He warned us that their products are not suited for extreme temperatures as they have very little insulation and their framing is quite flimsy. Since I do not want to bad-mouth a product that we personally don't have any experience with, I'll just say this ...he knows how picky we are about our RVs and he just told us "knowing how you folks are, you won't be happy."

We do kind of like that 21BHS floor plan, however, as it looks as if it would be easy to do the alterations we want.

A couple of questions: is there any problem fitting the washer through the door of a TT? I know on some motorhomes, they have to take out the windshield to take them in and out. Is the general door size of a TT the same as one on a fifth-wheel? I know a lot of fifth-wheels have washers.

I believe the washer is quite light-weight but is positioning it at the very back of the trailer going to pose any problem? This would be opposed to positioning/locating it near the axles?

Thanks again to all for the great help and responses!

mandy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #16

Can anybody gives us a quick answer to the questions we had in our last post that maybe got lost as I tend to be so wordy?

1. Will a Splendide fit through the door of a normal TT? I know some RV doors are only 22" wide. What is the normal width of a TT door?

The dimensions of the Splendide combo we'd get are: 33 1/8" H x 23 1/2" W x 23 3/8" D.

2. The Splendid combo is 153 lbs. Will that weight be inconsequential when it comes to where the unit will be positioned in a trailer? It is not essential to position it as close to the axles as possible, is it?

Thanks.

~mandy

Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #17

I'm sure it would fit. If not, you can always remove the door of it or other things to get it in. Not really a big deal, just sounds like it. Idk about "average" door sizes to be honest, don't measure.

153lbs can matter, but when you have a fully loaded unit with water and everything, it's not as big a deal, in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #18

call Bill Modisette at Carson Trailer in Carson, CA and tell him what you want.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #19

Thank you, once again, jesilvas.

So you don't foresee any problem getting it inside the trailer? We didn't even thing about the fact that a TT may have narrower doors than fifth-wheels which often have washer/dryer units installed. We appreciated hearing that you don't think it's a big deal. That's great!

Ideally, I suppose the position inside the trailer would be best as close to the axles as possible but at 153 lbs., even if it's in the very back of the trailer, we're thinking it isn't going to matter much. We won't be traveling with any fresh water. All tanks will be empty as it is being towed.

Thanks again for all your good advice. We're eager to start the process.

~mandy
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
call Bill Modisette at Carson Trailer in Carson, CA and tell him what you want.
Thanks. I'll have to look up what manufacturers they carry.

~mandy
Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Thanks. I'll have to look up what manufacturers they carry.
Carson Trailer is a manufacturer, not a dealer. They make one very small TT that is too small for your use, and several Toy Hauler TTs, including front kitchen FL model that has
7,000-pound GVWR,
box length from 16' to 24',
optional 10-gallon water heater, and
optional 50 amp service.

And almost nothing is standard in the FL model. You have to add options of AC, microwave, several lights, even the second axle with brakes to make is a legal tandem-axle trailer. So if you order one, check out all the options and order those you might need.

You could locate the Splendide in the garage. At least you wouldn't need to worry about getting the Splendide through the huge garage door. And perhaps Carson would be willing to build the toy hauler with the optional 50-amp electric, include the optional 10-gallon water heater, include the other options you need, and install the Splendide so no additional conversion would be required. Talk to them. Even if they won't install the Splendide, at least the 10-gallon gas/electric water heater and 50-amp electric service are optional in their toy haulers.

Link: Toy Hauler RV Sport Trailers | FL model with Front Kitchen | Carson Trailer

Note Carson also makes other toy hauler floor plans, but the minimum GVWR for most of them is 10,000 pounds, too heavy per your original requirements. Check out all the different models, but the first thing to look at is GVWR. And if "small lightweight TT" remains one of your requirements, then consider only those with 7,000 pound GVWR. Some heavy-duty half-ton pickups can tow a 7,000 pound TT without being overloaded, but those are rare. My 2012 F-150 SuperCrew is overloaded with my 19' TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds when on the road.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #22

Ah, very interesting about the Carson trailers.

We will look at those a bit more closely.

Thanks!

eta: we do want something in the 7,000-7,500 lb. GVWR range as we plan on towing it with a Dodge 3500 with a Cummins but when the trailer is being towed to its various local locations, we will have a camper on it so it will be approaching its own GVWR (12,200 lbs.) and since its GCWR is 21,000 lbs., we'd want a trailer under 8,800 GVWR but would feel more comfortable in the 7,500 GVWR range or lower.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #23

Someone mentioned Outdoors RV, which I think is a cousin now to Northwood Mfg. I've looked at Creekside before and they offer a lot while being lighter than a Nash or AF. They make a model that may suit your consideration. Just a thought.

My biggest renovation to our AF is changing the license plate holder to display our alma mater.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #24

Thank you, Mark! Yes, they were the very first ones we contacted to see if they'd do the modifications at their factory while the trailer is being made as we like the Creekside and one of the floor plans in particular.

In all likelihood, we will probably end up buying either a Northwood Nash or Outdoors Creekside and find somebody to do the aftermarket alterations we want. We are still exploring other manufacturers, however, so are open to considering other manufacturers.

Thanks, again.