Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Do I buy a Jayco or Keystone????

My husband and I are looking to buy this week! I am a Jayco person because I know it is built tough and to last! However, we found a Keystone Springdale that has the bells and whistles we are wanting! Jayco uses plywood and all wood in their products where as everyone else uses pressed wood or partical board! We previously owned a Jayco pop up and sold it for almost what we paid for it! They hold there value I know!!!! We are leaning towards the Keystone, we just dont know a whole lot about that company! Can anyone out there help us out?!? Please, thank you!
CmWadlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
First of all, welcome to iRV2! We're glad to have you join us.

I'm sure you'll get responses from devoted owners (and maybe a few dissatisfied ones) of both brands. I can only relate our experience as 3-time Jayco owners (1 Cardinal pop-up and 2 Designer 5th wheels). As you have said, all were well built RVs at their respective price points. Like you, we bought the Cardinal pop-up used, owned it 4 years and camped from Lake Erie to the Rio Grande, then sold it for $50 less than we paid for it. Our total repair cost was replacement of 1 tire that threw a hunk of tread on a summer trip across West Texas. Therefore, my vote would go to the Jayco simply because I'd know what I'm getting, but I've admittedly never owned a Keystone.

At the end of the day, buy what will work best for your particular needs. The only thing I'd suggest is not to get too carried away with the foo-foo surface appearance - spend some time crawling around in cabinets and basements looking at the underlying construction quality, paying particular attention to tire and axle ratings, frame construction, materials used in the construction of the "box", buyout items used, etc.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

Thats what i was thinking! Its easy to get carried away with the pretty features! I know what we will be buying with a Jayco! Thank you! You validated my suspicions! lol
CmWadlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We're glad you're here.

The Springdale line is an entry level model for Keystone. Probably very basic in construction, fit & finish. Like Rusty said, look past the fluff - it can distract you from what's important like construction & durability. That said, we owned a Keystone Cougar (mid-range level) 5-r a few years ago & enjoyed it. We had some issues with little quality things (drain pipes not cemented at connections, drawer handles falling off/glides missing, shower not caulked properly, construction debris not cleaned out under the bed...etc), but, it was a good unit. We had no problems with any warranty work - Keystone & the dealer supported any issues we had.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
ccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmWadlington View Post
My husband and I are looking to buy this week! I am a Jayco person because I know it is built tough and to last! However, we found a Keystone Springdale that has the bells and whistles we are wanting! Jayco uses plywood and all wood in their products where as everyone else uses pressed wood or partical board! We previously owned a Jayco pop up and sold it for almost what we paid for it! They hold there value I know!!!! We are leaning towards the Keystone, we just dont know a whole lot about that company! Can anyone out there help us out?!? Please, thank you!
------------------

Clarification on one point:

EVERGREEN by EVER-LITE uses NO WOOD in it's travel trailers, NONE.

Think about it, any TT will leak eventually, in these fix the leak and you are finished------no damage.

We really like ours and have put over 13,000 miles on it since we got it in May of last yr.

We have an OWNERS group if you wish to see some comments.

They cost a bit more than some other brand but you get a lot more. I love no wood in the ceiling walls nor floor, all composit. Neat

CCC

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
JAYCO !!!!!
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
GPW

If you get a Jayco, best store it INSIDE !!! I left mine outside and in 5 years , I'm on my second roof ($5000 repair)

Whatever you buy make Darn sure it has a Good roof !!!
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
GPW,

Didn't you have an ultralite? Didn't you also have falling limbs damage the roof? That's not the norm, I daresay.....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
GPW

Rusty they were Small limbs (finger size)... so small they shouldn't "normally" have gone completely through the roof into the interior ... I'm guessing ultralight means Ultra Cheap ... if they were trying to save weight by using a 3/32" plywood roof covered with a paper thin vinyl , seems they could have made a good roof and skimped on something else , like the 45 lb. folding table Price points ... grrrrr!!!!

No worries , my roof is twice as thick now ... they put the new roof atop the old one ... 3/16" total ... I feel so secure now !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	8921  
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen