Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Do I have a problem?

While doing my weekly walk around of my trailer I looked up and saw what appeared to be a tear in TPO on the edge of my roof. I climbed up there and while it's not a tear it does appear there is something that is pushing against the membrane. It hasn't come through yet but I'm concerned it may in the future. There is no wood in the roof. It is all composite material. Do I have a problem and what would be the fix should it come through? My trailer is an orphan as Evergreen recently went out of business. Thanks for your help.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	134991

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	134992

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Hard to tell scale of the raised section. A staple or other fastener could be working loose. A gentle tap with a hammer on a piece of soft wood covering the raised item might make it flat again. If the roof gets torn, Eternabond tape is a very good product.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you take the drip rail off and lift the TPO enough to look underneath? While tough to determine scale from the picture is does appear to be a staple pulling out.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #4

I thought about tapping the two spots down but was worried that it might go ahead and push through. Eternabond is what I was thinking too. I may go ahead and cover the two areas. One is about the size of a nail head and the other is about an inch long. These are the only two spots I've found. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Can you take the drip rail off and lift the TPO enough to look underneath? While tough to determine scale from the picture is does appear to be a staple pulling out.
One of the great things about this trailer (or not) is the glue is mechanically applied. Meaning every inch has glue on it. At least that's what we were told. I don't know if it can be pulled up. What ever is under there is much larger than a staple, say an inch or a little more. We check the roof routinely and it has not been moved since spring. This is the only spot I've found.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #6

These pictures should help with scale.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	135005

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	135006
Old 08-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you send a photograph to the factory and ask if they have any suggestions for what it could be?

Underlying this it could be advisable to leave it alone and keep an eye on it. If it pokes through or is close apply a layer of Eternabond tape. Or at that point hammer it down and then apply the tape.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #8

A shot in the dark here, but perhaps they used metal over the radius of the roof, and that is a very long staple, working its way out ?
It seems to me that post #2 and #3 have the best suggestions. It doesn't appear to be close to an end of the RV, so post #2 would be the better idea.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Hard to tell scale of the raised section. A staple or other fastener could be working loose. A gentle tap with a hammer on a piece of soft wood covering the raised item might make it flat again. If the roof gets torn, Eternabond tape is a very good product.
Agreed!
Old 08-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Agreed!

I had a similar protrusion. After 3 yrs and hitting a few limbs it finally sliced through. You can pound it in w/a soft wood backer, repair w/ eternabond now or wait until later.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #11

Thanks guy's. I think I'll watch it a little while and see what happens and then take your advice. My trailer was orphaned a couple of months ago so talking with the factory is out. Lost a year's warranty on that. But thanks again and happy camping.