Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #1

Do you have any pros or cons about these TTs?

I am interested in purchasing a rear slide TT to keep the total length down since this is my first TT and I only have a Chevy Tahoe to pull it. I have found 3 of this type:
A) Keystone Outback 210RS
B) Jayco Jayfeather EXP 213
C) KZ Spree 220KS (or the 210KS)
They all have almost an identical floor plan. Are there any other rear slides I should look at? Do you have any comments, good or bad that would help me decide which of these to buy?

My overall requirements for a TT are 1) a Q or K bed, 2) bathroom with head and shower, 3) dinette - not a portable table that has to be put away after every meal, 4) sofa separate from the dinette, 5) not too small of a refrigerator, 6) no more than 24' overall length, 7) can be pulled up mountains with a Tahoe (6500lb max tow ability), 8) easy to work with on my own. I like these 3 trailers because I can put the kid to bed and still use the couch to read. They also have the lower bunk that fold up for a large storage area (bikes etc.). All the others I have found under 24' total length are either a hybrid, have no sofa or have no bunks and almost no storage. My husband thinks that anything over 24' total will be too long and too heavy for easy towing with our SUV.

Are there other TTs that would meet my requirements? I am hesitant about the hybrids because it often rains here and I have heard bad things about putting canvas away wet. Do you have any suggestions for me? What should I stay away from?

Thanks,
RT

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

welcome to this great forum. sounds like u have a pretty good idea of what floor plan u want. there are many trailers that your tahoe can pull just fine. check you axle and tire ratings to start with.

others will soon chime in with input and ideas.

TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
First, welcome to iRV2, newtoRVs. You've come to the right place for answers.

It looks like you've done your research & have found an assortment of TT's to fit your needs. Congratulations on that, it's quite a feat with all that is out there. Of the 3 you listed, IMO, Jayco has the upper hand with build quality & customer service. We used to own a Keystone product (Cougar 5th wheel) &, although we thoroughly enjoyed it, it had pesky fit/finish issues (trim & knobs falling off, cabinet doors not flush, plumbing not tightly attached...etc) which should have been caught at factory QC. I have seen KZ products at an RV show & they seemed comparable to the Keystone brand.

Happy shopping & let us know what you get.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome aboard and good luck in your venture. Here is a site for a different type of TT may may suite your taste and needs:
Travel Trailers That Are Lightweight and Easy to Tow|Trailmanor Travel Trailers

Most of them are <24' when closed and can be towed by most SUV's and they will help with fuel mileage due to the towing height.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #5

I used to have a 2002 Tahoe. And from my experiences, no matter what trailer you choose stick under a GVWR of about 6500 pounds or you likely will not be too happy at the end of the day.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #6

Maybe I no longer am qualified, being a motor home owner now, but in 2005 we bought a new 5th wheel trailer. The choices narrowed down to a Keystone product and a KZ product. Looking beyond the cosmetic fluff, basic construction features and the chassis construction sold us on one, and it wasn't Keystone. The KZ coach was the right decision for us, as construction and quality are essential to having a satisfactory unit.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #7

the outback is real popular, try the outbackers.com website for info on outback.

Wondering About A New 250Rs? - Outback RV Owners Forum
Old 06-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #8

I have owned 2 Jayco trailers and Jayco is and continues to be the most responsive of any RV manufacturer to customer concerns. In my opinion they have always gone beyond what I feel is extraordinary to keep their customer base. They set the gold standard in customer satisfaction..If it came down to a simple decision based on which trailer I liked more and jayco was in the mix, their pride ain their product and their customer service would influence my decision greatly. Until you get customer service from a manufacturer who doesn't care after the sale, you will find out how helpful and supportive a good manufacturer can be. In this world, that counts for a lot. In my opinion you can not go wrong with Jayco.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
ccc

Take a look at EVERGREEN EVER-LITE TT and 5ers.
We have an owners site at:
Evergreen RV Owners Group

Since these are very light units you may find one that meets your needs.
Good construction, same type that is used in high end boats.

CCC

ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I second and third and even fourth the Jayco endorsement - they have built very nice TTs for many years now and I think they are one of the few mfgs that will be left when this economy finally turns around. That said, Outback started the idea of the hard side bed sliding out the back - however they succumed to Keystone (still called Outback). Now I see that Jayco followed suit and brought out one as well - I guess you can't keep a good idea from spreading.

Looking at the specs on the 213 I see where it meets all your requirements. That said, there is something you need to know about lightweight units - they are light in weight for a reason - usually it is that there is little or no structure in the walls - they are laminated walls of foam, plywood, and filon. There is probably an alum cage around the edge of the camper with some cross members in the roof. This creates a lightweight structure that is fine as long as it stays dry - get it wet and it's game over - I know - I spent over 2k to replace the entire front end of a Trail Lite due to a minor water leak. One more item is that you need to watch is how much any optional equipment adds to the brochure wts. reducing an already slim payload to none.

I do like the fact that you are trying to limit your GVW to something your Tahoe can handle - what are the specs on your Tahoe - year, engine, rear end gears, etc.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
ccc

[ there is something you need to know about lightweight units - they are light in weight for a reason - usually it is that there is little or no structure in the walls - they are laminated walls of foam, plywood, and filon. There is probably an alum cage around the edge of the camper with some cross members in the roof. This creates a lightweight structure that is fine as long as it stays dry - get it wet and it's game over
-------------------
the foregoing is so true in most light wt trailers.
The REASON we purchased an EVERGREEN is that there is NO WOOD IN THE FRAME, FLOOR, WALLS nor ROOF. None. Not even on the inside.
The only wood is the cabinetry and it is real wood no ply nor osb.

See videos on the net on the construction details. My one NON negotiable demand was NO wood in the frame, roof nor walls. Evergreen carries this out plus.

CCC

ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I looked at the Evergreen RV web site - nice looking units - I am not so sure about exactly how green they are. "ComposiTek is a seamless thermoplastic substrate comprised of polyproprolene resin reinforced with continuous bi-directional fibers." This sounds like OIL to me - which the last time I looked was not a renewable resource. It looks like they use foam insulation in the walls - I am not sure where they use the neat batt insulation they show in the video - maybe in the factory itself? I do like the idea of the real alum frame - their diagram clearly shows why they are better. However there is a debate between welding and screwing the frame together. If you use thickwall alum tubing, a screw will have something to bite into - plus just about anybody can assemble it - no special welding skills required - not to mention the fumes produced from the welding. I agree that luan is probably an overharvested south american wood that they should find a replacement for. However I believe that all in all, a wood framed TT is more eco friendly that one made of plastics wood is a true renewable resource. Even better if they use that eco insulation.
Also, most TTs are made with alum wheels and while they don't all fill their tires with nitrogen - the consumer always has that option - also most TTs use radial tires.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
GPW

Whatever you get , make sure it has a GOOD roof !!!! Something that won't be a considerable source of EXPENSIVE maintenance/repairs in the future ...
Old 07-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #14

Outback is a great brand, check out the Outbackers rv forum for more info.
Extended Warranty Question - Outback RV Owners Forum

Tags
evergreen, kz-rv