Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2005, 11:05 AM   #1

Our new trailer is more color coordinated than our house with matching curtains, sofa pillows, fabric and a "designer" matching bedspread on our queen slide-out.

My question? Do you keep the "bedspread" on, or store it and then just use it to cover the mattress in the "off" season?

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2005, 11:05 AM   #2

Our new trailer is more color coordinated than our house with matching curtains, sofa pillows, fabric and a "designer" matching bedspread on our queen slide-out.

My question? Do you keep the "bedspread" on, or store it and then just use it to cover the mattress in the "off" season?

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:31 AM   #3

We put ours on if we aren't planning on using the trailer for a few months. The cover has been in storage since we purchased the trailer. We have a nice comforter we put on the bed when we use the trailer. When not in use, the bare matress is left showing.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:04 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
As soon as I saw the "dry clean only" tag on the spread and shams I started looking for something else. I took a sham with me and went on a hunt to find a washable spread and shams that would "go with" the rv's decor.Its not a perfect match-but it works! The original comforter and shams are in a plastic bag underneath the bed to go with the rv when/if we trade or sell it.We leave the bed made at all times. As soon as we get in from a trip the bed is stripped then clean linens are put back on so its ready to go when we are.
Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:05 PM   #5

I agree with Dianne (diandtom) - the bedspread comes off and waits until we just might sell the RV. When we get back from a trip I, too, strip the bed and get 'er ready to go again. The older we get the more decadent we become - I have cotton sheets for summer and flannel sheets for winter.
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:32 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Me too Sallys Mom-cotton for summer,flannel for winter. I keep the flannel sheets "on board" at all times,never know when you may have a cool spell and those flannel sheets will feel good.
Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #7

Does anyone have any idea if a washable comforter could be obtained from the RV manufacturer? Otherwise the colors would be difficult to match...I agree,the new bedspread has a dry clean only tag, and will be sooooo difficult to keep clean and crisp....

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diandtom:
As soon as I saw the "dry clean only" tag on the spread and shams... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What idiot would choose to use a dry clean only item in a CAMPER!!! You really have to wonder about the decorators who would come up with that. Bet they've never been camping.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #9

To paulmargde - I've been able to find plain colored lightweight quilted comforters from JC Penney in the past. Don't know if they carry them anymore, but the one I still have (put away just in case) has been washed and dried several times. Mine is beige and I think would probably work with most color schemes. Let us know what you find!
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #10

Thanks for the info.I will certainly try J.C.Penny's...I need a plain gold color to co-orinate with the bedroom decor...A lightweight comforter would be perfect...

3778 W24
Old 09-02-2005, 04:03 AM   #11

Don't know if this will help you, we had to change our comforter too and found a light weight washable one, where else, Walmart. I have toured the RV plants with a special eye on the sewing and fabrics area because that is what we do. Their fabrics change often and what they used last year may be different than what they have or can get this year. Also the cost of replacing something from the factory is usually quite a bit higher. Good luck
Old 09-02-2005, 04:19 AM   #12

Thanks NOVI for the suggestion...We are going to the factory later this month for warranty work,so I will look for fabric or comforter...

3778 W24
Old 09-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #13

In my old trailer, the mattress was enclosed in a fitted cover which matched the rest of the fabrics. That stayed on the mattress, with the bedding (a TravelSack) on top, so didn't get dirty.

The motorhome was used and came with a nice comforter, but I'm not thrilled with the way it doesn't stay on the bed well, and since it is on top, is subject to getting dirty. I'm leaning towards bagging it up and putting it away and using a cheaper/easier to clean option.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #14

Well, we seem to be in the minority, but we use our bedspread. We like the color coordination and when someone wants to come in to see our trailer it is all matched. This may not be a priority with most, but we enjoy it.

We had an incident with ours after we bought the trailer. Our grandaughter wet on the bed. We decided to try and wash and dry it even thought it said dry clean only. My wife put me in charge of getting it cleaned while she tended the grandaughter. After washing it which went well, I "stuffed" it into the very small dryer. Then not really paying attention, the heat was on high. Well, it didn't tumble and with the high heat blowing on one spot, it came out melted. The whole thing was stuck together. I imediately placed a call to our dealer and ordered a replacement. I didn't ask how much, just told them I wanted one. Wow, $250!

To top it off, we went camping the next weekend and I put the wet mat in the back of my truck near the tailgate. We got home and the mat was gone. So back to the dealer to replace the mat which ran $200. I blew almost $500 in one week on my bonehead mistakes. Somehow my wife has never forgotten my "little" mistakes. hmmm