RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappion View Post
I'd buy a similar 20A DC-DC if they had it. 25A may blow Tow fuses.
My Tow is fused for 30A. I would have to rewire my TOW for 40A output. Which might need 60A wiring.
People just don't understand fuses ! A 30A fuse will happily pass 30A of power all day long. I would probably do 35A for many minute/hours. That is just the way they are designed.

Voltage drop is a different issue. With a DC-DC power supply, if the input voltage is low, it is just going to draw more amps to maintain the output voltage.

The real issue with DC-DC power supplies is there is no "smarts" so undercharging or overcharging IS a reality !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 11:59 PM   #72

Right On. People don't understand fuses. They blow due to heat. The environments temperature effects the AMP rating. Fuses are self heating per watts law: W=A*A*R. With R being the fuses resistance.
BTW My DC-DC Watts was based on it's 93% efficiency rating. I don't trust it.
Know your batteries! The DC-DC has a set output voltage. It could over or under charge. Ditto for the wrong charger or charger setting.

13.8V worked just fine for me. PHX AZ to the Rim Country (mountains) is a 4 hour run. It's 1000 miles to see my grand kids.

Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappion View Post
Right On. People don't understand fuses. They blow due to heat. The environments temperature effects the AMP rating. Fuses are self heating per watts law: W=A*A*R. With R being the fuses resistance.
BTW My DC-DC Watts was based on it's 93% efficiency rating. I don't trust it.
Know your batteries! The DC-DC has a set output voltage. It could over or under charge. Ditto for the wrong charger or charger setting.

13.8V worked just fine for me. PHX AZ to the Rim Country (mountains) is a 4 hour run. It's 1000 miles to see my grand kids.
I agree. How many hours are you going to drive. We have a 6 hour limit. Years ago we may drive 24 hours. Either way 13.8 on a already charged battery for 24 hours is ok.

Putting your TT in storage for 5 months with 13.8 volts would consume a lot of water in Flooded lead/acid and probably cause venting in AGM's.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #74

Generator 12v charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I boondock a lot but don't have solar. This is what I use to keep both house and battery banks charged without using my 8KW Onan generator. It's a lot cheaper and I can run into town in the toad for gas a lot easier than driving the coach in for diesel.

Hooking up straight to the battery terminals with the smart charger is much faster and more efficient than using the the 8 amp outlet on the the generator or powering the whole coach just to use the coach's charger.
Attachment 234676
Are you charging a 12 volt battery or 2 6volts in series ?A smart charger I was looking at stated that charging the 6 volts would result in one being charged more than the other. Curious as to your experience.
SV Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Tom View Post
Are you charging a 12 volt battery or 2 6volts in series ?A smart charger I was looking at stated that charging the 6 volts would result in one being charged more than the other. Curious as to your experience.
My 4 6Vdc house batteries are wired with each pair in series and then both pairs in parallel with an output of 12Vdc. I charge them as a 12 volt bank. My chassis batteries are a pair of 12Vdc batteries wired in parallel with an output of 12Vdc. I charge them as a 12 volt bank. I start them out charging at 40 amps and my charger automatically reduces the amperage and voltage as the battery banks' SOC increases.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #76

Quote:
A 6 volt battery has 3 cells in series.

A 12 volt battery has 6 cells in series.

2, 6 volt batteries in series are identical to 1, 12 volt battery ( 6 cells in series ). In that case you will charge it as 1, 12 volt battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #77

Quote:
It's possible. That's why there is an Equalization Charge Voltage for occasional use.

Not good for my new Outback Nano-Carbon AGM 12v batteries.
Know your batteries.
https://batteryuniversity.com/

Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, batteries, trailer, travel, travel trailer