Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #1
Does my roof need replaced?

I am brand spanking new to the camper world, and dove straight into deep murky waters by buying a 27' 2005 gulf stream camper at a "good deal" then after buying found out it was a FEMA trailer (please don't tell me what type of quicksand I got myself into with that because we bought it already and can't take it back now). Anyways after finding that out and researching what it means (formaldhyde in cabinets/wood etc), me and my husband has decided to gut the whole thing and basically use the "bones" to build our own camper. Anyways it is now basically a shell no walls or insulation or cabinets left in it. BTW I am 28 weeks pregnant and my hubby is basically doing all the work himself, and hoping to get it done before baby comes in June.

We found some spots in the roof that the wood has been exposed to a leak and rotted so we are going to replace those pieces and wondering if we can reuse the rubber roof by adhering it to wood and then re-sealing it or should we buy a brand new roof and install? Plus we are DIYers so do not want to go to dealer since I have been quoted 4000 for roof replacement when I didn't even spend that on the camper. I even thought about just replacing all the wood and just using the liquid roof on top of the wood (after using the primer) to eliminate the need of buying new EPDM roll out roof. I contacted the company and never got a straight answer on whether or not that is do-able so that idea is at a stand still.

I am going to have so many questions about this project because we want to make it camping worthy, bought a RV toilet and will be getting holding tanks to install. Hopefully we can keep expenses down by researching prices etc. I hope you all don't mind me asking the questions on here, I am sure I am not the only one that has got theirselves in a sticky situation like this and want to just fix it instead of giving up.

As far as roof can anyone give me any pointers?

epling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You've got quite a project! I'd replace all soft wood in the roof then lay down a new EDPM membrane. To try to piece the old back together is going to mean more work and future leaks. If you're looking for RV parts, you might consider used parts from an RV salvage yard.

Here's a pretty complete list:

RV Salvage/Surplus Yards (List) Updated 3/4/15 - RV Forums - myRVparks.com

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
That's right, put a new layer of EPDM on after you have all the rot replaced. The only way to make the wood waterproof would be to fiberglass the whole roof but that would likely be more money and would certainly be more work. The suggestion of getting some parts from a salvage yard is a good one. Even if you have to drive a few hours to find one you could save a bundle on RV specific parts like plumbing and electrical systems. Make a list of what you will need before you go if it is a distance away. Good luck, it can all be done pretty easily by someone with basic DIY skills.
keymastr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Sounds like a fun project. You can use most any home plumbing product in your trailer. I have replaced my RV sinks with Kohler units and the faucets with Moen and Price Pfister products. The size of RV units is sometimes a challenge because they can be odd sizes. The main difference is that RV parts are cheap and light. Electrical is the same, trailers have converters and maybe inverters but the electric principles remain the same.
Seems that you have a plan and I hope after the baby is born you will be ready to use your new unit. Repair the roof structure and remove all vents, air conditioner etc and then put on a new EPDM roof. Pretty easy, similar to laying down a full glue one piece linoleum floor.
Congratulations on the new addition to the family!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for their input! Shew this is a project... and not going as fast as I was hoping it would go. We are starting from the floor and then wall structure before we replace the roof. There is a lot of wood rot on the corners and some in the middle. My hubby wanted to make sure the walls were strong enough to support his weight before he replaced the ceiling and roof. I started a blog about our project but it is going slow right now (only have 4 post right now) but if anyone is interested I will share the link. My hubby is taking it on a road trip this coming week to go back home and have some friends help replace the roof and put up the walls so we can focus on putting it back together. So hopefully by the end of next week we can start going a little faster on the project.
epling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #6

We all love pictures! If you can, post pics to show your progress.
A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman!
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
I think it would be wise to start with the roof. No point in new floor and walls if water is still coming in the roof.

2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, replace, roof