Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwgirl View Post

kitchen view:

living room view. Just look at that slide!

bathroom view.

hoarders!

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Respectfully, this is not the safest way. They can still be hurt- in an accident- by the same things that can hurt you. The safest is in a hard-sided kennel- like a Veri Kennel- the kind used by airlines to ship animals.

This limits their movement and protects them from flying debris. However, most people do not have room, for them, when they have big dogs. If you do not, then the harness system is a good second best (make sure that the harness is on correctly and not too loose).

I have a friend who's 5er jack knifed and flipped- on it's side- a few years ago (cause: trailer breaks failed). Her dogs were in it but were all in Veri-kennels. The dogs were banged up but otherwise okay.

Kitchen view:

Living room view. Just look at that slide!

Bathroom view.

Imagine if your dog, or any other living thing, had been in this trailer- loose. They would be seriously injured or dead.

Her dogs were in the Veri-kennels and were fine, if shaken up.

I hope that anyone, reading this thread, who allows their pets to ride loose in a TT or 5er will reconsider after seeing these photo's.

My personal preferance- when I had my TT- was that my dogs were crated, with me, in the tow vehicle.

Sheila
Thanks for posting the pictures. This this one a good case for 'a picture is worth a thousand words'! Your post was a real eye opener.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #17

Would you ride in the trailer while being pulled? If no then you already have your answer.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Respectfully, this is not the safest way. They can still be hurt- in an accident- by the same things that can hurt you. The safest is in a hard-sided kennel- like a Veri Kennel- the kind used by airlines to ship animals.
I will agree with you only if the kennel is secured to the vehicle somehow.

Suppose you are in a crash, and the unsecured Veri Kennel with your pet in it flies forward and kills you. Your pet may survive due to your diligence, but you won't care.

My point was to the safety of the PEOPLE in the vehicle primarily, and secondarily to the safety of the pets. If the pet is in the vehicle with you, it must be secured to the vehicle or in confinement that is secured to the vehicle. Otherwise YOU are safer with the pet riding in the TT.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I will agree with you only if the kennel is secured to the vehicle somehow.

Suppose you are in a crash, and the unsecured Veri Kennel with your pet in it flies forward and kills you. Your pet may survive due to your diligence, but you won't care.

My point was to the safety of the PEOPLE in the vehicle primarily, and secondarily to the safety of the pets. If the pet is in the vehicle with you, it must be secured to the vehicle or in confinement that is secured to the vehicle. Otherwise YOU are safer with the pet riding in the TT.
And you secure every single thing in your vehicle-- in case of an accident? A can of peas can kill you, if you are in an accident and it's not secured.

Yes, of course my kennels are secured but luckily I think of the safety of my dogs and do not put them in a trailer-- no more than I would put a person there. There is a reason that there is a law that people can not ride in trailers or 5ers and I do not think their safety is less, of a concern, because they have four feet and not two.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #20

Always in truck.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 AM   #21

Always in the truck.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
The real reason Nothing alive Should ride in the trailer because it fills up with Exhaust you pull over everything is dead. It's happened many times.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:35 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Truck! No question
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our little guy is always with us up front in the cab. Heck I'd let em drive if he wasn't so near sighted. Just kidding.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #25
IC2

Our pup rides in her crate securely fastened in the folded down back seat area. Occasionally and only on a wide open road she will sit on my wife's lap for a short while - but she actually "asks" to return to the crate and her soft bed. Many years ago (1981) on a cross country trip we took a couple of cats and they rode in the 5er. I even spent a day there as well, being so sick with food poisoning that I couldn't drive/ride in the truck. I can assure you, never again for more then one reason, including legality and safety but it was a case of needing to do another 4-500 miles or else. It was a completely uncomfortable jouncing, vibrating ride, to never be repeated
Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #26

Piddles the Miniature Schnauser/Yorkie always rides in the Excursion. Usually sits right between our two daughters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4215409552.png
Views:	35
Size:	886.8 KB
ID:	16120  
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Our little guy is always with us up front in the cab. Heck I'd let em drive if he wasn't so near sighted. Just kidding.
Does he have a license? If so, what's the problem?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDJS View Post
Piddles the Miniature Schnauser/Yorkie always rides in the Excursion. Usually sits right between our two daughters.
Cute one! Funny thing is we have a Minature Schnauzer and a Yorkie.....but they're two dogs.....not one.