Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #1

DOGS Travel trailer or truck?

Does anyone leave their dog in the trailer when your driving from one destination to the next with the trailer? Or do you have the dog ride in the truck with you?
Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Recently there was a horrible accident where a 20 Year Old Hunter died when the Trailer that He was sleeping in while being Towed caught Fire.

Should your Pet be left in the Trailer while underway? I don't think so!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
You don't say HOW your dog rides. Is he unrestrained in the trailer, with free run, or in a kennel cage? How does he ride in the truck? Is he unrestrained?

The safest way for your dog to ride is in the truck with a harness and restraint system. If he is unrestrained, YOU'RE better off with him in the trailer becaus he will become a projectile in the truck that could kill or injure you in the event of a crash.

If you do leave him in the trailer, be aware of heat issues. It gets HOT in the trailer in the summer. Keep your dog in a kennel cage so he can't get into things that will harm him (pesticides, chemicals, etc)
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #4

Don't have a Dog, but we travel with Cats (Show Cats). We removed the rear set and installed an UltraLite Cage that is strapped down so it can't move and the cats travel there. As mentioned heat can be a problem in the camper with the windows closed and the sun baking down, cab of truck is AirConditioned. Wouldn't think of leaving them in the trailer, caged or not.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to see what it is like in a trailer while in motion, put a video camera in there an take a short drive on regular streets and roads. Now go home and view the video. Would you want to ride back in the trailer? Now if you would not ride there, why should you put man's best friend back there....hot in the summer, cold in the winter and shakes like a hound dog trying to pass a peach pit.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #6

Dog in truck with us. Never in trailer, no one in the trailer even if allowed. To many possibilities of something going wrong.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Anything not secured in any vehicle becomes a missle in a crash. I've read posts where people think it's OK to for them or their pet to walk around in a moving MH, but on other threads are horrified to think of a pet being loose in a trailer???
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #8

In the truck for sure.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The way I look at it is...Would you let your child ride in the trailer or the truck? No, so please put the dog in the truck.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Anything not secured in any vehicle becomes a missle in a crash. I've read posts where people think it's OK to for them or their pet to walk around in a moving MH, but on other threads are horrified to think of a pet being loose in a trailer???
EXCELLENT point.

They exactly the same thing...TT, 5th, Class A, B, or C, Moho...a moving house..safety rules should be used equally regardless of the style of RV.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #11

In the truck so that you know what's going on with your pets.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
In the truck with out a doubt.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interior Photo's of a Flipped Fifth Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
The safest way for your dog to ride is in the truck with a harness and restraint system.
Respectfully, this is not the safest way. They can still be hurt- in an accident- by the same things that can hurt you. The safest is in a hard-sided kennel- like a Veri Kennel- the kind used by airlines to ship animals.

This limits their movement and protects them from flying debris. However, most people do not have room, for them, when they have big dogs. If you do not, then the harness system is a good second best (make sure that the harness is on correctly and not too loose).

I have a friend who's 5er jack knifed and flipped- on it's side- a few years ago (cause: trailer breaks failed). Her dogs were in it but were all in Veri-kennels. The dogs were banged up but otherwise okay.

Kitchen view:

Living room view. Just look at that slide!

Bathroom view.

Imagine if your dog, or any other living thing, had been in this trailer- loose. They would be seriously injured or dead.

Her dogs were in the Veri-kennels and were fine, if shaken up.

I hope that anyone, reading this thread, who allows their pets to ride loose in a TT or 5er will reconsider after seeing these photo's.

My personal preferance- when I had my TT- was that my dogs were crated, with me, in the tow vehicle.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our dog rides in the truck. When we had 3 they rode in the truck.
We've always used a barrier between them and the front to prevent them from becoming projectiles. I always thought it was just common sense. I wouldn't let my worst enemy ride back in the 5ver...

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote