Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #1

Hi, we have a 1986 Monitor TT that came new with a Dometic SL135RB roof top AC unit. We bought the TT about 7 years ago and the AC has always worked alright - just alright, never stellar, but reasonably decent giving its age. Over the past July 4th weekend it was very hot and extremely humid and it eventually quit cooling as far as I could tell. Question: Should I attempt to give it a charge of refrigerant? What type of refrigerant might this unit use. The original owners and installation manuals do not have any details on the refrigerant type. I have a gauge and tool to fill R134a systems on my vehicles but I am not sure if this would work if the old AC unit is an R12 system. Not sure if R12 is even available anywhere.

Thanks for your thoughts.
-Deon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #2

Hi, we have a 1986 Monitor TT that came new with a Dometic SL135RB roof top AC unit. We bought the TT about 7 years ago and the AC has always worked alright - just alright, never stellar, but reasonably decent giving its age. Over the past July 4th weekend it was very hot and extremely humid and it eventually quit cooling as far as I could tell. Question: Should I attempt to give it a charge of refrigerant? What type of refrigerant might this unit use. The original owners and installation manuals do not have any details on the refrigerant type. I have a gauge and tool to fill R134a systems on my vehicles but I am not sure if this would work if the old AC unit is an R12 system. Not sure if R12 is even available anywhere.

Thanks for your thoughts.
-Deon

Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The age of your TT and AC would be easier to change to a newer AC unit and will make it much cooler for you.
Try this LINK for a new one the 14" opening should be ok for new ones.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Sounds like the cooling unit is shot. It is not cost effective to mess with it. Buy a new one and get a new warranty and be back to being cool. I have not heard of much success of tapping and recharging, and if it does on one under warranty you just voided it.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #5

After 27 years I'd think everything is pretty well used up. Buying a new unit is the better option. You will spend near $100 for a A/C technician to recharge you ole unit, and around $600 for a new one with a 3 year warranty, that's 18% invested in the old one that may experience compressor failure tomorrow.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

any chance it was turned down to low and froze up. chevman