Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2016, 04:42 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 104
Dometic fridge issue

Just today out of the blue, my fridge keeps making a noise like a fan or motor is starting up. The noise happens roughly every 15 seconds and last for about 5 seconds. It happens on 120 and LP. It also happens when i turn the fridge off completely. Is it possible there is a 12 volt fan behind the fridge or something? This is very annoying but i am also concerned my fridge may be on the way out...
__________________

__________________
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bryan, Texas
Posts: 611
Probably the converter and not the fridge. Is the fridge installed anywhere near the converter?
__________________

__________________
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Probably the converter and not the fridge. Is the fridge installed anywhere near the converter?

Opposite ends of the trailer.

It is most def the fridge. I took off the access panel outside and the worst thing is theres no way i can get to any sort of fan from there...this should be interesting.
__________________
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nine Mile Falls WA / Arizona City AZ
Posts: 524
there are some relays and controls with mechanical parts on the circuit board that might be failing and buzzing.... could this be what your hearing...
__________________
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 104
After more research and some looking for myself, seems i have a fairly common issue. There is a small 12v fan with a thermostat switchmounted on the back of the fridge. Problem is the fan is pointed at the thermostat switch lol
__________________
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 50
They probably set that up on a Friday afternoon. Before a long weekend . Haha
Sounds like a easy fix . Good luck.
__________________
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad95 View Post
They probably set that up on a Friday afternoon. Before a long weekend . Haha
Sounds like a easy fix . Good luck.
Coincidentally the same timing for my fixing it LOL actually of all the internet searching on this ive done, im suprised nobody here mentioned it as a know issue. I always feel bad about going on other forums before checking here first hahaha
__________________
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,543
On most refers there is a lower and upper hatch. The fan should be installed near the upper hatch to pull cool air in the bottom and exhaust it out the top. If there isn't any access there then pulling the refer is necessary to get to the back.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 2,427
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Wanting to purchase a 12v cpu type fan to help cool by drawing air up thru the refrig compartment. Are there any recommendations?


iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________
Dolphin 6376LX, 3 slide, W-24, Toyo tires, Blue OX Aventa LX, Patriot brake assist, 09' Saturn Vue
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,543
I bought a gang of three or four of them from an electronics surplus firm a few years ago. Was going to install them in our '02 DSDP that we traded off last year.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
JacknKay's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On most refers there is a lower and upper hatch. The fan should be installed near the upper hatch to pull cool air in the bottom and exhaust it out the top. If there isn't any access there then pulling the refer is necessary to get to the back.

I need to check the location of the fan on my coach. In hot weather it runs a lot.


Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA Ford Chassis
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
I need to check the location of the fan on my coach. In hot weather it runs a lot.


Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

on my unit, if you take off the back access panel and look up (its tight I needed a flashflight) you can see it right on the back of the fridge (its basically only a small computer type fan). I can't get it to from the access panel, may be able to get to it from the top vent. Right now im debating if I want to get get up on the ladder and try from the top, of if I just want to slide the fridge out into the camper and do it proper.

I haven't heard mine make a noise until temps got into the high 80's and low 90's. I'm fine with the noise, its the short cycling due to thermostat location that's pissing me off. fan runs for 30 seconds...shuts off for 1 min..runs for 30 seconds...repeat.

Another thing I thought of doing was adding an addition fan inside the access panel and put it on a switch that way it may take some strain off the main fan and I can control it when I wish to. What ever I do I will document
__________________
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 2,427
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl_keystone View Post
on my unit, if you take off the back access panel and look up (its tight I needed a flashflight) you can see it right on the back of the fridge (its basically only a small computer type fan). I can't get it to from the access panel, may be able to get to it from the top vent. Right now im debating if I want to get get up on the ladder and try from the top, of if I just want to slide the fridge out into the camper and do it proper. I haven't heard mine make a noise until temps got into the high 80's and low 90's. I'm fine with the noise, its the short cycling due to thermostat location that's pissing me off. fan runs for 30 seconds...shuts off for 1 min..runs for 30 seconds...repeat. Another thing I thought of doing was adding an addition fan inside the access panel and put it on a switch that way it may take some strain off the main fan and I can control it when I wish to. What ever I do I will document
That's what I'm planning on doing. A friend had done that with his.
__________________
Dolphin 6376LX, 3 slide, W-24, Toyo tires, Blue OX Aventa LX, Patriot brake assist, 09' Saturn Vue
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
That's what I'm planning on doing. A friend had done that with his.

Yes it may not be a bad idea. I haven't chosen a fan or anything yet. Not sure If I will do a 120AC or 12DC fan. time will tell haha
__________________

__________________
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dometic, fridge



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In-slide Norcold/Dometic fridge vs residential fridge abi2001 5th Wheel Discussion 13 05-22-2016 07:53 PM
Dometic fridge propane issue. beachguy MH-General Discussions & Problems 4 08-10-2015 09:05 PM
Dometic Fridge Issue novi2some Class A Motorhome Discussions 19 11-13-2014 11:08 AM
Dometic fridge issue gotaf7 RV Systems & Appliances 2 05-25-2012 03:51 AM
Southwind 36D Issue after issue after issue.... fixn2gocamp Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 4 10-21-2009 08:05 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.