Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Dometic Fridge Quit Working?

I have a new TT and the fridge has quit working on the 4th trip.... was working on gas in route... but quit cooling sometime after arriving and switching to electricity... however, does not work on either gas or electricity now. Lights on fridge are working as "normal", ie. check light comes on/off and auto light working. I've read the manual and understand it has 3 separate fuses, could it be the 30amp in line fuse? Advice?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #2

If the lights on the control panel are working , I'd think the main fuse would be ok. Checking the fuses, with a volt meter or a test light is the first order of business.
No manufacturers warrantee ?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

Yep, it's under warranty, but it's a drive to where I bought it and not much closer to the nearest "authorized" service provider for Dometic. The manual says there are two fuses, one for control system and one for the AC heater. I have a "two way", gas or AC so, no DC to deal with.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #4

The control panel is 12v, and through relays, on the control board, controls 110v and propane operation. So 12v power and system grounds are important too.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #5

If your front panel lights are working, you have 12V to the board. After that, there's lots of testing. Could be fuses on the board for 120V, could be anything on the LP system, the 120V system, the board itself, or blocked air flow.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice folks... and the good news is it's working fine now, both gas and transitioning to electric once plugged in. The bad news is I don't know why? I removed the cover and checked the fuses on the board, both were fine. I turned the fridge on gas and it worked fine, pulled the trailer up to the house and plugged in the electric... and, I thought that's when it would quit but it didn't, continued to cool. I'll "test" it again multiple times in the coming weeks to see if it continues normal operation.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #7

Pete, you do know about being level? and do know it can take up to 8 hrs for cooling to begin?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #8

You could possibly have low 12V when not on shore power.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Pete, you do know about being level? and do know it can take up to 8 hrs for cooling to begin?
Yep, I read the part about it being level.... but it's a relative term because there are times it's not while travelling. I actually wish I could confirm that's why it quit, because then I'd know the remedy to avoid it quitting in the future, just don't turn it on until I get "there".
Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

Traveling is ok, but sitting still it needs to be within 6* of level, roughly.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I suspect your 12 volts went low and shut off, and the refer warmed up. After plugging in it probably took off but it can take many hours to recover. 6-8 if you leave the door closed and quit checking. See if you have a charge line for your battery while towing.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegPete View Post
I have a "two way", gas or AC so, no DC to deal with.
peglegPete
Wrong!
The control board needs to see 12VDC or it will not work at all.
Call the manufacturer, since the TT is new they should be able, and willing, to help via telephone.
Also read the refer manual for trouble shooting instructions
Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #13

Open the outside panel and see if you smell an amonia or see a yellowish powder in the access panel. The gas could have leaked out of the fridge. I had the same problem on my TT last year after only 2 trips.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
peglegPete
Wrong!
The control board needs to see 12VDC or it will not work at all.
Call the manufacturer, since the TT is new they should be able, and willing, to help via telephone.
Also read the refer manual for trouble shooting instructions
Meaning... compressor is either propane or AC, I understand the control board needs current from the deep cycle battery.

Tags
dometic, fridge