Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #1

We've got frosted glass in the doors of our TT. You can still see thru the glass pretty well. I would like to put some sort of curtain up over the windows that I can remove during the day if I want. Privacy isn't much of an issue during the day. But after dark I'm afraid the view might be a bit embarrassing. Lol! I tried making curtains and putting them up with velcro, but the velcro wouldn't stick to the door or window frame. I'm sure someone else has ran across this problem. Can anyone offer a solution?
AuntSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #2

We've got frosted glass in the doors of our TT. You can still see thru the glass pretty well. I would like to put some sort of curtain up over the windows that I can remove during the day if I want. Privacy isn't much of an issue during the day. But after dark I'm afraid the view might be a bit embarrassing. Lol! I tried making curtains and putting them up with velcro, but the velcro wouldn't stick to the door or window frame. I'm sure someone else has ran across this problem. Can anyone offer a solution?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #3

Have you used 3M stick up strips ... and their hooks ...

They come off easily if you follow the directions without leaving any marks ...

Look in your True Value or Ace hardware stores ... the hooks come in a variety of shapes and sizes ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have room above the door to mount a roll down shade that is what is on our MH. Just pull it down at night and roll it up during the day.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 AM   #5

What about a shade on the inside above the door? That way you wouldn't have to worry about it falling off the door whenever you open and close it.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:09 AM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hmmm... If I'm thinking this through right, the problem here is there's hardly any clearance to hang a curtain or blind because on most RV doors the screen door fits right up against the door when it's closed.

This might cost you a little money, but you might consider having the door's translucent window replaced with glass that's more opaque (like a stained glass window) or eliminate the window altogether.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
We got a window "treatment" from Home depot. This plastic film looks like stained glass. But there other styles. Cut it to shape and "holds onto" the glass like static cling.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #8

I'm sitting here, right now, in the TT and looking at the door. There isn't enough room between the door and the screen to put any kind of curtain rod, and (unfortunately) finances won't allow replacing the window. So, it seems the idea that will work best is the treatment from Home Depot. Thank you all for your ideas!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #9

we put a stained glass window insert in each of the rv's we've owned. maybe that would work for you. in fact, the windows that are less opaque work better with stained glass than the windows that are already heavily frosted. if you want to see what our inserts look like, pm me and i'll send you some pix.
kid
kidzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #10

I bought an auto Vent Shade at Wal-Mart that had suction cups. This is the kind that most people put in the windshield of their car to block the sun. I trimed it out to fit the window of the door. One of the factory suction cups was in my section which I cut out. I punched a hole and put the other one in as well. At night, we just suction cup this to the window and it blocks all light. This was an issue for me as my travel trailer has a bedroom slide so the window on the door is across from the bed and the first thing you see when you wake up. Sometimes, I like to sleep in on camping trips and I needed to block the light. This has done wonderful.

In fact, this also keeps out heat. These ventshades have a reflective side, which I put facing out of the window and the white side faces in side the trailer. It looks neat and it works well. The total cost: $10 at Wal-Mart. Hope this helps.

2008 Timberlodge 32RLSLE
L. Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AuntSmurf:
I'm sitting here, right now, in the TT and looking at the door. There isn't enough room between the door and the screen to put any kind of curtain rod, and (unfortunately) finances won't allow replacing the window. So, it seems the idea that will work best is the treatment from Home Depot. Thank you all for your ideas! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hang a roll down blind from the ceiling, or from a wall mounted shelf box so that it rolls down and covers the screen, and NOT Betweem screen and door. Thats the way it is in our Allegro, works good.

Dieselclacker
Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #12

Carefree door shade Check with rvupgradestore.com for the lowest price.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote