Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Door Frame

My TT was broken into sometime in the last couple of days. It appears the damage is just to the door frame and jamb. I'm hoping I can just get that assembly and fit it to the door, and then install the whole unit in the trailer. Has anyone attempted this? I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to match the graphics.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
So far, Forest River is trying to help, but can't sell me just the frame. Thanks, Lippert Components, for wasting 25 minutes of my life that I'll never get back... on hold, and dropped in transfer of the call... WOW! Really? So, at this point I guess I'm waiting for a price on the whole door unit from FR.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

Well, with no pictures, go at it with a pry bar and soft mallet !
Old 04-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #4

But i am old schooled !!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Well, with no pictures, go at it with a pry bar and soft mallet !
I wish that would fix it... The metal is actually torn some and badly deformed. Lois at FR has parts, and it appears I'll be ponying up about $500- for a new door unit... My frustration level is a bit high right now. I was on hold with Lippert for 25 minutes and finally got through to a live person, who promptly ... um ... transferred the call ... to ... well, it dropped me like a hot rock...
Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Good news and bad news. My new door and decals will be here in a month or so, and will probably be $600- or more... that's kinda the worst of it. I went over today to see about the difficulty of changing it out... and it appears it will be a 2 - 3 hour job. The hardest part will be getting the old one out without damaging something else, and getting the butyl tape off. I got the door and frame shaped back up to the point that I could go camping if I had time, but it's still a mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1928.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	124403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	124404  

Old 04-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

i presume that is the befor pic.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Would it be possible to cut out the bad section of frame and replace it with some angle alu from a steel yard or a section cut from a scrap doorframe?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #9

I must say,from what i see on the pictures, i would think you could get hammere/peen it back into shape, a little body putty, sanding and paint, and would be acceptable to me, ora piece of alum. flat bar over the are and featherd in, at least for $600 and all the labor to put it in. Plus the addition damage you may cause in the removal/replacement !
Just a thrifty old man's thought !
Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #10
IC2

Sorry about your break in and hope nothing of value was taken. There just seems that there is nothing private that is safe these days.

Replacing a door - not a really big project if you can use a screwdriver (probably a Robertson head). As far as costs - most doors and frames are available from many suppliers and salvage yards and at a cost of a couple hundred plus shipping bucks. Timewise - if it has a wood inner trim, that will add a few minutes but an hour should see it done. Heck, I'm retired and can usually find an hour or so free occasionally.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Having looked it over carefully, it's a snap to replace the entire unit. There's no interior trim to speak of. It'll be removing the swing-out grab handle and using a sharp chisel to break the outer seal. and backing out a few screws... and reversing everything, making sure to get everything sealed up again... no problem.

As to the suggested repairs, If I was going to keep this trailer indefinitely, I'd leave it repaired as is except for reinforcing the collapsed area around the door handle. (Yes, those are before pictures). There's nothing there except thin door skin and Styrofoam. I'd make some cross-grain wood supports for that area and install them with urethane glue. It's pretty permanent, foam-friendly, and waterproof. As it is, I plan on selling this in August - September and buying a bigger TT for me and the Munchkins.... How else will they ever be introduced to the beauty of nature... and Clint Eastwood movies?
Old 04-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #12

Here's something that i bought when i was restoring our first piece of junk TT, great for removing trim with minimum damage , and have come in handy many times !

Astro 45040 4pc Non-marring Plastic Chisel Set - Air Tool Maintenance Kits - Amazon.com
Old 04-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Here's something that i bought when i was restoring our first piece of junk TT, great for removing trim with minimum damage , and have come in handy many times !

Astro 45040 4pc Non-marring Plastic Chisel Set - Air Tool Maintenance Kits - Amazon.com

Ordered..... Thanks!
Old 04-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
My TT was broken into sometime in the last couple of days. It appears the damage is just to the door frame and jamb. I'm hoping I can just get that assembly and fit it to the door, and then install the whole unit in the trailer. Has anyone attempted this? I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to match the graphics.
schrederman
If the TT is insured why not simply file a claim and have your insurance company do whatever is necessary to fix it as good as new?
(That's what reputable insurance companies do for the money you pay them).
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
door, frame