Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Door locks question

I can't open a door from the inside if it has been locked from the outside. Am I just not doing it right or what? If these locks are supposed to work like this, it seems like a dangerous situation, even with two doors, should one be inaccessible due to fire. Are there replacements that won't have this problem and are stronger anyway?

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #2

What kind of door and lock?
if the handle is locked, it will open from inside. If dead bolt is locked, the door will not open. Common sense there

Old 11-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
What kind of door and lock?
if the handle is locked, it will open from inside. If dead bolt is locked, the door will not open. Common sense there
The common sense comment seems unnecessarily condescending, particularly so since you didn't grasp the question. Have you got a single or double cyliner db at home? If it's locked, are you unable to open it from the inside? I hope not.

TT doors. Thought it was obvious since I posted in TT discussion. As for what kind of locks, the TT is at CW, so I can't look for a brand name. But these Eagle locks look and operate like our previous Forest River locks.

So I'll rephrase the question a bit. Are there stronger and higher quality aftermarket single cylinder deadbolt locks for TTs that will fit without major alterations?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #4

Sorry you took it as condescending, it wasn't.
You also didn't present the question well. There are many doors on the trailer, I'm assuming entry door? If entry door, what are you locking; handle or dead bolt?

I have a dead bolt separate from my door knob, unlike an RV. There are some RVs like that. That's also why I asked what kind of lock.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #5

Cekkk, you must be referring to the deadbolt portion of the lock not unlocking. The only possible issue is the inside knob isn't turning the shaft to release the bolt. Usually the "handle" lock simply prohibits pulling the handle from the outside but as jesilvas said, you should still be able to open it from the inside.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #6

Jes, peace. We just don't communicate. It happens. And it wasn't worded well.

I am talking of our two entry doors, both with the same problem. Rgreen is saying they should open, so when I get it back I'll work it, maybe lube it a tad. If they are not working as designed, it's still in warranty.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #7

Cekk

For what it's worth, our TT has two doors, if the handle is locked from the outside, you cannot open it. You can only work the deadbolt from inside the trailer. Both of our doors are the same way.

Joe
Old 11-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
Cekk

if the handle is locked from the outside, you cannot open it. You can only work the deadbolt from inside the trailer. Both of our doors are the same way.
Joe
I'm surprised, but I can't recall ever trying this. I can tomorrow though, when at work. Since not many trailers have 2 entry doors, this issue doesn't come up as you "usually" can't lock the door from the outside, yet be on the inside trying to get out. If indeed this is the case, you just have to deal with locking both from the inside when being in the unit.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #9

Only reason I found this out is because our second door is right off the bathroom, when setting up, I went in through the main door, then tried to go out through the second door. No luck. Had to go back outside and unlock the handle.

Joe
Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #10

Household deadbolt locks may only be unlocked with a key, on either side of the door. RV deadbolts normally have a lever on the inside instead of a keyhole to unlock the deadbolt from the inside, that should be the only difference. I've never seen a trailer deadbolt that operates differently. This could be a life-threatening situation if the trailer catches fire because of the very short time it takes fire to consume an RV. I would visit the dealer and ask this question of them. Fire escape is the best reason to have two doors on an RV.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #11

So I'm going to search for a lock that is more residential in design but specifically for RV entry doors. It would only need one locking mechanism as far as I'm concerned, and that would be a single cylinder so you'd need a key to operate it from the exterior, but just a turn of the "handle" if you were inside to either lock or unlock it. No key needed inside, that would only be needed with the double cylinder deadlocks as I understand them.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems really unsafe to me. I think I'd disable the doorlock and use the deadbolt only.

We never use both locks in any case. If they want in a hammer works just fine for them. I know.

Mine was broken into while in storage and both locks didn't stop them.

But now you've got me curious, I'm going to check mine out tomorrow and see if it's the same.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Household deadbolt locks may only be unlocked with a key, on either side of the door.
You can buy them either way. Police recommend the "key on both sides" for homes with glass (breakable) in the entry door and the others (knob inside) for solid wood entry doors.

Most of these however may be too thick for an RV as many have a minimum thickness of 1-1/4".
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #14

Just to be clear, I was referring to the handle lock not unlocking from the inside. The deadbolt always works as it has a little red handle on the interior side to lock and unlock it. Now we just unlock both handles during setup and use the deadbolt when inside to lock up at night.

Tags
door