Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Double/Triple Tow

Just wondering if this is legal and/or a good idea. We've got a 24ft total length TT and would like to tow our 14ft flat bottom to the local lake (19.5 miles). The total length will be 60.5 feet which I know is legal in TX. Just don't know if bumper pull and bumper pull is legal and seriously I've gotten no help from DPS DOT DMV or anything. Also boat and trailer maybe way 1000lbs with a hitch weight of maybe 150lbs. This is the hitch I was looking at Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 19100 Travel Trailer Bumper Mount Hitch 4 In Square Bumper: Automotive. The bumper of my TT is welded very well to the frame. Think there will be any problems? Also the route to the lake allows for very little traffic and speeds of around 40-45mph
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Double towing from bumper hitch is illegal everywhere I know of. Legal with a 5er, subject to length restrictions.
kevkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #3

Looks like you'll be good according to this http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Of course that site claims no accuracy guarantee. I think Woodall's has a similar chart on their website.

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Right off the bat, that chart is wrong.Triple towing is not legal in California, regardless of overall length. As BigBlue said, watch what you read/trust from the internet. Call your local Highway Patrol station and ask an officer there. Ask what section in the vehicle code applies to your towing situation.
kevkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #5

I saw someone in Texas towing a trailer with a golf cart on it behind a travel trailer today. Doesn't make it legal but you wouldn't be the only one :-). And it shows that it can be physically done.
GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #6

Haha I know it can be done.
Yes I have tried calling everyone in Texas that should know itf its legal. No luck!
Anyway what do y'all think about that hitch?
Yay or Nay?
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #7

I'm not even slightly shocked triple towing is illegal in Cali lol

It's Texas, I would like to think its probably legal. If you have completely exhausted your resources I suppose you could make mention of that if you get stopped, tell them that no one said it was illegal and that you called every authority you could think of. Not saying to do this but I probably would. Odds are you'd get by with it?

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Illegal in WA state.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
A quick google search may help as I know the state has posted it on the web...
I looked at it as 65 foot is the max allowable length...

I COULD with my 5er, not sure about a TT... good luck

http://www.ehow.com/list_6325491_tra...les-texas.html

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/trail...as-100019.html
Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Searching the document archives of the State of Texas, it appears that, as of 2009, a "T" endorsement is required to tow more than one trailer. See the following:

Quote:
CHAPTER 16. COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE

SUBCHAPTER A. LICENSING REQUIREMENTS, QUALIFICATIONS, RESTRICTIONS, AND ENDORSEMENTS
37 TAC §§16.3, 16.4, 16.8, 16.9, 16.11, 16.12
The Texas Department of Public Safety (the Department) adopts amendments to §§16.3, 16.4, 16.8, 16.9, and 16.11, concerning Commercial Driver License, without changes to the proposed text as published in the August 7, 2009, issue of the Texas Register (34 TexReg 5345) and will not be republished. Section 16.12 is adopted with changes and will be republished. Changes were made to the proposed text of §16.12 due to an editing error.
Adoption of amendments to the sections is necessary in order to address Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) findings during the 2006 review of Texas' CDL program. These amendments further align Chapter 16 rules to new and previously existing statutory requirements governing Commercial Driver License issuance procedures where FMCSA determined the statute and/or rule was not clear enough for enforcement purposes. Amendments also change the title of the chapter to "Commercial Driver License."
No comments were received regarding adoption of the amendments.
The amendments are adopted pursuant to Texas Government Code, §411.004(3), which authorizes the Public Safety Commission to adopt rules considered necessary for carrying out the Department's work; and Texas Transportation Code, §521.165.
§16.12.Endorsements.
(a) T--Double/Triple Trailer (commercial driver license and noncommercial driver license). This endorsement authorizes the holder to tow more than one trailer.
(b) P--Passenger Vehicles (CDL only). This endorsement authorizes the holder to operate a vehicle which is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
(c) N--Tank Vehicle (CDL only). This endorsement authorizes the holder to operate a vehicle or combination of vehicles which are designed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials within a tank that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or chassis. Such vehicles include, but are not limited to, cargo tanks and portable tanks, as defined in 49 CFR, Part 171. A CDL tank endorsement is required if the cargo tank has a bulk packaging over 119 gallons for liquids, or a water capacity greater than 1,000 pounds as a receptacle for a gas if they are permanently attached to or form a part of a motor vehicle, or is not permanently attached to a motor vehicle but which, by reason of its size, construction or attachment to a motor vehicle is loaded or unloaded without being removed from the motor vehicle and is not built to the specifications for cylinders, or portable tanks. A portable tank is defined as a bulk packaging (except a cylinder having a water capacity of 1,000 pounds or less) designed primarily to be loaded onto, or on or temporarily attached to a transport vehicle and equipped with skids, mounting, or accessories to facilitate handling of the tank by mechanical means. A portable tank that meets the bulk packaging definition described in this subsection requires a CDL with a tank endorsement. However, this definition does not include portable tanks having a rated capacity under 1,000 gallons.
(d) H--Hazardous Materials (CDL only). This endorsement authorizes the holder to operate a vehicle or combination of vehicles which are required to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act (49 USC §1801 et seq.).
(e) S--School Bus (CDL only). This endorsement authorizes the holder to operate a school bus.
(f) X--Combination of N and H (CDL only). This endorsement is used to combine the endorsements N and H.
This agency hereby certifies that the adoption has been reviewed by legal counsel and found to be a valid exercise of the agency's legal authority.
Filed with the Office of the Secretary of State on November 23, 2009.
TRD-200905436
Stuart Platt
General Counsel
Texas Department of Public Safety
Effective date: December 13, 2009
Proposal publication date: August 7, 2009 For further information, please call: (512) 424-5848
Source HERE.

Please note that this doesn't address the question of legality of the ball hitch on the 1st trailer.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rusty:
Is a CDL required for private rigs in TX?

Here is WA a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) is only required if you drive a truck for a living.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Rusty:
Is a CDL required for private rigs in TX?
No, a CDL is required only if the vehicle or combination is engaged in commerce and is governed by Sec. 522 of the Texas Transportation Code.

Having said that, depending on GCWR of the towing vehicle and/or GVWR of the towing and towed vehicles, an upgraded NON-COMMERCIAL license may be required (oversimplified: Class B for GCWR > 26K and towed load < 10K; Class A for GCWR > 26K and towed load > 10K). This is covered in Sec. 521 of the Texas Transportation Code. Otherwise, a Class C non-commercial license (standard operator's license) will suffice.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #13

Legal in Idaho. I say do it. If dot doesn't know the cops don't either
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We also wanted to fish and camp. We have a 12 ft jon boat which can be put in the back of the truck with the tailgate down, but the tailgate needs to be up to tow the TT.

So, we will be getting our 4th boat any day now. We should be able to leave the tailgate up to transport, and it can do double duty as a floating fishing dock on the river outside of our house.
KL Industries Sun Dolphin Sportsman Fishing Boat 102 by 48 by 20 inches (L x W x H)

http://www.amazon.com/KL-Industries-...+man+bass+boat