Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
In Texas law gross weight is GVWR.
Are you saying that this is for trailer inspection?

The law plainly states:
05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For:

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Are you saying that this is for trailer inspection?

The law plainly states:
05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For:
I see that, again. It is poorly written for those who don't read law all the time. So basically everyone. But in Texas, no laws are based on emtpy "actual" weight. It's all GVWR, regardless of how it seems to all us normal non law people.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44 View Post
Don't know where you live in Texas, but we recently bought a unit from Pharr in Lubbock. It was a KZ Spree Connect.
The smallest KZ Spree Connect I could find from an internet search was 6,000 pounds GVWR. That exceeds the max. allowable of 4,500 pounds GVWR for avoiding Texas trailer inspection. If you register your travel trailer in Texas, the Texas law says it has to be inspected.

My current 2014 Heartland Wilderness 2175 RB is 6,000 GVWR and is similar in design to the KZ Spree Connect.
SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #32

Tomorrow I will call the Texas Motor Vehicle information line and see if this really means what it says:

"05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For:"

I have a smaller 10' covered utility trailer that I know does not have to be inspected but how does the state know that?

My travel trailer has a Title "Registered Weight" of 4000 pounds. Nowhere on the title does it mention GVWR. If the above is true then how will the person registering my trailer know that?

Whatever I find out I will post here.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #33

What I would expect to happen with your registration process--when time to renew, you will go to the local county tax/title office and present your notice from the state, along with your title. If the clerk helping you goes by the law, you should not have to have it inspected, but your results may vary--kind of like DOT laws, a lot of it is open to individual interpretation.
If you haven't gotten a letter saying you will have to have it inspected prior to registration, would expect you are ok, just go thru the normal annual process. The state only knows what is on the title and/or registration.
Now, if you happen to load the trailer with obvious heavy items, if the tires/axle looks overloaded and you happen to be stopped and weighed (unlikely, but possible) and you gross over 4k, then probably gonna cost some $$. But you would be cited for overweight, not failure to register properly.
Arlington has a pretty active DOT-type crew working I-20/30 on a regular basis--cities and counties are always looking to add to their coffers.
My opinion only.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #34

Thanks for your opinion Joe. My little trailer (21.5') never looks overloaded and does not pull like it is overloaded because it isn't. If it turns out that I have to get it inspected that is no problem either.

The reason that I am interested in the Registered Weight of less than 4500 pounds is because there are a lot of trailers that would fit in this category in Texas. I really hope that tomorrow I can get in touch with someone in Austin who really knows what he/she is talking about. Wish me luck.

Ken
Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #35

Ken,
I still think it is going to boil down to what they have in the MVD files on the trailers that have to be titled--if somewhere it is written 4500+, then they are going to require an inspection. It won't be long until every manufactured trailer sold new will have to have some figure that makes this law applicable or not.
Just another hassle to go thru for the state to get some more $$$, but maybe it will help keep some trailers off the road that should never have been licensed.
And, yes, good luck with getting thru the system to get an answer.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I see that, again. It is poorly written for those who don't read law all the time. So basically everyone. But in Texas, no laws are based on emtpy "actual" weight. It's all GVWR, regardless of how it seems to all us normal non law people.
You are right. I talked to the Texas DMV 888-368-4689 today and I will have to get my trailer inspected prior to registration. Although my title says 4000# the trailer has a gross weight of 7000#. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
No problem though, I'll get it inspected like the rest of you. I do love TEXAS!!!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #37

Travel trailers usually have a manufacturer's identification sticker (like mine posted below). The GVWR listed on that sticker should be the same as on the title to the trailer and that is the weight on which Texas decides whether or not the trailer must be inspected on the "over 4,500 pounds" law.

It sure would be nice if Texas could get with the rest of the world and call GVWR as GVWR.

It would be even nicer if Texas would just drop the (useless) trailer inspection.

But that ain't going to happen.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #38

I find it strange that a TT that new doesn't have the unloaded vehicle weight figure, or is that on another sticker ?
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #39

The UVW, fresh water weight and CCC is usually on a different sticker. Most (95%) that I've seen in the last 5 years that sticker is usually on the door of the trailer. The other sticker is usually on the street side on the outside of the trailer. That sticker is the VIN#, axle GVWR, tire size + PSI and axle size.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I find it strange that a TT that new doesn't have the unloaded vehicle weight figure, or is that on another sticker ?
Like "Cumminsfan" says, the other travel trailer tank capacity and weight information is on other stickers (that Texas DOT doesn't care about).