Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 AM   #1

Drain fresh water tank between trips?

Do you empty your fresh water tank between trips? We use our trailer every month or so, and have gotten advice both ways -- some say to drain the fresh water after every trip and leave it empty, others say they leave whatever water they have left. And how often do you clean/disinfect the fresh water tank?
Suzamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 03:20 AM   #2

My rule of thumb is to not leave any water in the system if it's not being used for more than 1 week, especially in the summer time. I drain the hot water tank, open faucets and open the low point drains. 10 minutes.

It's so quick and easy to put a few gallons in it and bring it all back up to pressure each time but very difficult to get rid of the "stink" should it sit in there too long and turn stagnant. I introduce bleach in the fresh tank to sanitize the entire system each spring after de-winterizing the unit.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:40 AM   #3

I sure don't think i would want to use water that's been stagnant for any long period of time .
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
My rule of thumb is to not leave any water in the system if it's not being used for more than 1 week, especially in the summer time. I drain the hot water tank, open faucets and open the low point drains. 10 minutes.

It's so quick and easy to put a few gallons in it and bring it all back up to pressure each time but very difficult to get rid of the "stink" should it sit in there too long and turn stagnant. I introduce bleach in the fresh tank to sanitize the entire system each spring after de-winterizing the unit.
X2. I forgot the the HW heater once and that water was stinky in just a few weeks!!!! I had to do an early bleach treatment to get rid of the smell.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

We empty the fresh water tank after every trip. It gets nasty and stagnant when just sitting. We've been disinfecting the tank with chlorine bleach maybe twice a year.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #6

We always have a full fresh water tank. It's part of our emergency plan. Refreshing the water is part of our maintenance when parked. We've never had any issues with stagnant water.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #7

Thanks, everybody -- I hadn't thought about draining the water heater. This is all new to us -- everything is a learning curve!
Suzamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
We always have a full fresh water tank. It's part of our emergency plan. Refreshing the water is part of our maintenance when parked. We've never had any issues with stagnant water.
Same for us.
Our water smells always fresh. We do not drink from it though.
Try to fill with chlorinated water when possible. Same goes for HW tank. Always full.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #9

I usually leave a little in there because it's nice to be able to flush and wash my hands when I'm out there doing work on the rig (at the storage place).
We NEVER drink the water from the tank, so it's just for washing and flushing.

Drain and fresh fill before each trip.
Disinfect mid summer and again after our 2 month "winter".
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #10

We also don't drink the water from the tank, we carry a separate drinking supply.

Our rig is always ready. It's also part of our emergency plan having had to almost evacuate twice in the last few years because of wild fires. Truck and genny are gassed up, battery charged, etc. It's parked in the driveway and we can be gone in a matter of minutes.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't drain my fresh water tank between trips. But I don't use it for drinking water either, mostly....I use a Brita Pitcher only for potable water inside) on rare occasions for drinking water from the fresh water tank. The pup's water comes from the Brita Pitcher, but most of the time, all the drinking water comes from bottled water.

I chlorine bleach sanitize the fresh water system at the beginning of the year after de-winterizing.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I only drain if the rig is going into storage for a an extended period of couple of months or more, which rarely happens. We use the water in our rig just like we do in our stick house, including drinking. We almost always use chlorinated water, use only a sediment filter outside to leave chlorine in the tank and lines, and use a carbon drinking water filter inside for drinking and ice maker. We have had stinky water once when we got a fill from a place with high sulfur content, and rust colored water once. Both times I had to drain, flush, and re-sanitize. When full timing I never sanitized the tank after the first time. When part timing I'll sanitize once a year. We use our coach at least monthly, and are in it 4-5 months each year.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #13

I usually drain my tank and always drink from it. We have a filter in the 5'er so not worried about the water. Been doing this and never got sick from the water. I sanitize the tank 2x a year also.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #14

How do you sanitize with the chlorine bleach? How much do you use? We took delivery of our new TT a couple of weeks ago. It's still winterized. I gather I should flush well and sanitize before our first outing?
Rico1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water