Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Driving in snow with TT

So living in south Florida as you can guess I have never driven in snow I am looking at towing my new 28 ft, TT up threw GA, and Tennessee around Christmas time , So anything you could tell me would be great and I also have a few questions ,
Tow truck is a Ram 1500 eco diesel 4x4 crew cab

1. traction control on or off in 2 wheel drive ?

2. if in 4 wheel drive same question as # 1. ?

3. anything else that you can think of for a newbee driving in snow with a 7000 lb TT ?

Thank you
mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Pretty broad question. It would depend upon conditions at the time.

Light snow and slush. Slow down - travel in 4 wheel drive. Be gentle on the throttle and brakes.

Moderate snow. ??? Depends upon your comfort level. Slow down even more and consider pulling off until the snowplows and sand truck can clear it up.

Heavy Snow. Pull off and stay put until the road crews have cleaned up the mess.

No use traveling and wrecking something.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Pretty broad question. It would depend upon conditions at the time.

Light snow and slush. Slow down - travel in 4 wheel drive. Be gentle on the throttle and brakes.

Moderate snow. ??? Depends upon your comfort level. Slow down even more and consider pulling off until the snowplows and sand truck can clear it up.

Heavy Snow. Pull off and stay put until the road crews have cleaned up the mess.

No use traveling and wrecking something.
Thank you ,
any idea about the traction control ? I would think to keep it on , but not sure

Thank's again
mike
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #4

Have everything you need for a three day stay on board. Propane , water food. Be prepared to wait till the road is clear.

Some states have chain requirements, that state that every drive axle on the TV & every axle, with brakes be chained up, when the signs go up " chains required". That would be front and rear on the truck and both axles on the trailer in your case. So , it's important to know the rules for everywhere you travel.
I spent 36hrs. in Pendleton OR. Because I-84 and 395 had chain up requirements, and I only had chains for the truck

Edit: Read up on TC, in your owners manual , If memory serves it won't function once your in 4X4. Anti-lock brakes may be the same.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Have everything you need for a three day stay on board. Propane , water food. Be prepared to wait till the road is clear.

Some states have chain requirements, that state that every drive axle on the TV & every axle, with brakes be chained up, when the signs go up " chains required". That would be front and rear on the truck and both axles on the trailer in your case. So , it's important to know the rules for everywhere you travel.
I spent 36hrs. in Pendleton OR. Because I-84 and 395 had chain up requirements, and I only had chains for the truck.
Wow , I don't think I would be driving in that bad condition , I to would be camping out some where
Old 09-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

Wow. There are a lot of variables here. First driving in snow is not like driving on a rain soaked road. In rain you slow down and get traction to go. In snow that doesn't work, and speeding up is a bad idea. Second, if your tow vehicle stops faster then the TT you could be in a bad skid. The advice to make sure you have food water and propane on the TT is a good one. If your stuck in what might be a storm get off the road and hunker down til the roads are clear again. Third always check the weather in the area that you plan to travel in, especially in winter.

Best of luck on your trip and Happy Trails!!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #7

Chains are typically used in the west and not the eastern states. Some places its illegal like my province Ontario. Chains and studs are illegal and with the higher traffic volumns they end up wearing out the raod surfaces fast.

As for pulling a trailer on an icey road stopping would be my main concern. You may be truckin along just fine but if you need to hit the breaks you need to be able to do so safely without sliding and jack knifing. I do not pull the camper in the winter but have towed the cargo trailer with ice fishing equipment and skidoo many thousands of miles and have got caught in lots of winter conditions without an issue. Just just need to learn to adjust your speed for the conditions. I would not like the idea of getting road salt on my camper anyway. Too many cracks and cavities to hold salt even after a good wash. The corrosion damage on my cargo trailer for ice fishing sure shortened its life span.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Also "wet" and "dry" snow are two distinct driving conditions. When I trailer towed in snow I almost always used light brake applications on my trailer brake control to stop slight trailer skids. One thing nobody has said also is leave yourself about twice the normal between vehicle distances. I know people will pass and slip in but always back off. Too easy to suddenly find out you've run out of follow room and the accident is your fault. Safe travels.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Thank you all , Great advise
Old 09-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
So living in south Florida as you can guess I have never driven in snow I am looking at towing my new 28 ft, TT up threw GA, and Tennessee around Christmas time , So anything you could tell me would be great and I also have a few questions ,

1. traction control on or off in 2 wheel drive ?

2. if in 4 wheel drive same question as # 1. ?

3. anything else that you can think of for a newbee driving in snow with a 7000 lb TT ?

Thank you
mike
Mike, I live in BC Canada, and we don't get a lot of snow on the coast. I have not driven in snow, but would avoid doing so absolutely. Lots of 4X4 owners misunderstand the difference between driving traction and stopping traction. 4X4 gives driving traction, but it gives no more stopping traction than 4X2. I don't know how sophisticated electric brakes are for anti-lock, but do know they are difficult enough to co-ordinate properly in good conditions, much less extreme conditions such as snow and ice.

Our Alberta bretheren may have more optimistic comment - they do have a lot of snow, and I know more than a few of them love snow camping. If there is a safe way of driving TT's in snow, they'll know it.

Any Albertans with their ears up?

Good question, but regardless of the answer, I'll not be snow camping!

Nick B
Old 09-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #11

I used to live in northeren bc so had lots of snow. But never towed a travel tralier but was out with a loaded tralier with snowmobiles.

If I were you use your 4x4 where needed as far as turning on traction control in two wheel drive just check to make sure it will not bypass any other options it should not. But your owners manual will tell you. I know in my own truck I have traction control and when it is on when it detects wheel spin it will go into reduced power mode. If I turn traction control off it will let the G80 locking rear diff engage and do its job. Traction control is ok in town but when I was towing a uhaul tralier up the chquihalla hwy a few winters ago I just left traction control in the off position with no issues.

The biggiest issues is stoping the tralier if you get into a slippery situation. So best advice is leave lots of room. Powder snow is easy enough to drive through mixed rain and snow will or could cause pulling side to side. But if you are set up correctly and have good tires and slow down you should be fine.

I would just pack some food and make sure if needed you have a warm place to stay. Not sure what the weather changes are like where you are traveling.

Have a safe trip.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #12

Evergreen Owners Club
great info

Thank you
mike
Old 09-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post

1. traction control on or off in 2 wheel drive ? On

2. if in 4 wheel drive same question as # 1. ? On

Thank you
mike
As mentioned have food, water, and propane. I'd take a generator too.
I've driven in snow my whole life, but I wouldn't tow my trailer in it unless it was an emergency.
Now days, its more like bumper cars out there on snowy roads. Have fun.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Have driven in snow quite often in the last 6 years. We snowbird and have only had one of the one way trips on good roads. Rest have been in snow and ice.

Have always slowed down and watched people go flying by including MH and TT. Every once and a while catch up to them sitting in the ditch. Surprisingly not as often as one would expect so it is not as hazardous as one might expect.

There are way too many variables to coach on every condition you could possibly encounter. Slow down and if you dont feel comfortable pull over and wait it out. Having a TT makes it really simple as you have your accommodations with you and likely will have food and propane.

Its another camping experience you can tell around the campfire.