Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #15

Use the stab-braking method to help reduce loss of brakes on long downgrades. A rule of thumb is to never go down the other side of a grade faster than you topped it, however it does not always apply. Some steep downgrades should be driven at a low speed in anticipation of an emergency stop situation; ie: blind corners, construction zones,etc.
I was once going down a steep grade, rounded a corner and saw a road grader sitting cross-ways in the 2-lane highway, with a flagman standing just in front of it. Had I not been going slowly I could not have stopped before hitting the road grader. When I did get stopped I was about 10' from the flagman, with my brakes fading quickly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #16

I take it the flagman was trying to get himself killed, squished between the road grader and your vehicle? He should have been around the corner.

Did you explain to him the error of his ways?
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
I take it the flagman was trying to get himself killed, squished between the road grader and your vehicle? He should have been around the corner.

Did you explain to him the error of his ways?
Nope, didn't say a word. It was a good thing I had a change of underwear in the 5er though. Later I investigated why I had so much difficulty stopping. I discovered the rear brakes on my 96 Dodge pickup were not doing much, something wrong with the proportioning valve (from the factory) and rear drum brake hyd. cylinders too small, was the mechanics report. A new proportioning valve and 1T GM wheel cylinders made a huge braking difference.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #18

Well glad to hear you fixed the problem and no one was hurt.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #19

There is a long section through the twisty bit where the 18 wheelers are restricted to the right hand lane with "Trucks No Passing" signs. Apparently this is enforced, but you had better get out of the way when exiting this section!. You can hear the trucks downshifting and accelerating back to their normal speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
...Additionally, you will find the winding curves a little intimidating when an 18 wheeler is flying by you at the same time you're navagating the curves and going thru the tunnels.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
There is a long section through the twisty bit where the 18 wheelers are restricted to the right hand lane with "Trucks No Passing" signs. Apparently this is enforced, but you had better get out of the way when exiting this section!. You can hear the trucks downshifting and accelerating back to their normal speed.
Off-topic; That reminds me of when my Dad went to Charleston, SC in 1966 to bring back my sister and her husband before he shipped out to RVN. Coming through the mountains (2 lane highway then) the large trucks would tailgate my Dad down the mountain. When he stopped for gas he asked the attendant how to get out of the way. The attendant said " give me a nickle, Dad did, the attendant handed him a Coke bottle, saying " when one of those trucks gets on your bumper just wave this bottle above your roof and he will back off. More than one has had a Coke bottle through the windshield".
Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #21

LOL maybe thats why the are plastic now. My luck he would be pissed and run me off the road
Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I live in Eastern NC and when I go I-40 into TN I turn North at Winston Salem on 59 and I-77 and cross the mountains at Fancy Gap VA. I pick up I-81 at Wythville VA and head West to I-40 at Knoxville. It is only 26 miles futher, but is a much easier way through the mountains. I have overnighted at the Flying J at Wythville several times.
I do not like I-40 through the mountains. The 18 wheelers hold you up so much. I-77 is nice and wide so you can go by the 18 wheelers that are in the slow lane.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #23

Thanks will try to remember to go that way if I try the mountain route.