Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our propane tank is 40 gallons (32 usable). I fill it every couple years if it needs it and even then it only takes 10 gallons or so. Yes, we drive with the propane on. The systems in RV's are designed, built, tested and certified to be on while in motion, same as propane powered vehicles

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
When we had a propane fridge, we ran it on propane unless we were on shore power. How long the propane will lasts depends on a lot of factors like outside temp, how often it's opened & how full it is.

I think our propane tank was 32lbs and we filled it up about once a year but ran the furnace some as well as a gas burner once in a great while. We also used the electric side of the fridge too....not much help!!
Newmar usually uses a 40 gallon (32 usable) tank in most of their motorhomes. 32#'s is only 7.27 gallons.
Check your manuals as I think you have the larger tank.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We treat the RV as second home. When we are not traveling, the refrigerator is always on shore power. We keep everything ready to go on a whim. Other than laundry we do not empty the trailer after a trip. I metered my shore power use for thirty days with the refrigerator on at all times (at home) and I used $3.11 for a month in 80 degree weather. Every time you remove food from the RV you partially thaw it. I can basically be on the road in less than a half hour with clean laundry. So I guess my opinion is why not just leave everything ready to go. We camp a lot and go through less than two 30 pound LP tanks in five months. In the later part of the season the furnace often runs as we'll. We travel with the LP on and have never had a problem. As for times refueling the truck is far enough from the fuel pump to be safe. Have you ever heard of an RV blowing up at the pumps? I think that we are just toooo paranoid about some of this stuff. Keep your trailer ready to go on a moments notice. Carrying everything in an out is just too much work and takes a lot of the fun out of our travel adventures. HAVE FUN AND TRAVEL

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
I asked the same question many months ago and some are concerned about the fire hazard.
Jim & Pat
Fire hazard??
Most, (if not all?),Schwan Food Company trucks run on propane.
See: Schwan's Home Service Runs 3,300 Propane-Powered Units Nationwide - Articles - Fuel Smarts - Articles - TruckingInfo.com
Mel
Old 09-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Fire hazard??
Most, (if not all?),Schwan Food Company trucks run on propane.
See: Schwan's Home Service Runs 3,300 Propane-Powered Units Nationwide - Articles - Fuel Smarts - Articles - TruckingInfo.com
Mel
I've had a van running on LPG, can't bring it into the channel tunnel. I would turn the fridge off whilst filling the LPG however!!
Old 09-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #20

The fridge uses very little propane, but the hot water tank, that is a different story! I try and keep mine on electric. I keep my propane on all the time and just let it switch automatically when I disconnect shore power. I then check it several times before I leave and while in route to make sure it started on gas because one time it didn't!
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #21

Some times, you may consider turning the frig burner off while refueling if you drive a gasser. That all depends on the wind direction and close proximity of the refrigerator to the gas pump. Gasoline fumes normally fall much lower than the mounted height of your refrigerator. So this is just a personal just in case precaution. In the past I've never turned my tanks off traveling through a tunnel. That was due to my not knowing any better, and I now avoid tunnels in my route planning. As far as how long the propane lasts, when I had that type frig, my 35lbs bottle could last for a year. That's using a combination of gas and electrical power, and all year round.

DTW
Dtwallace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #22

Evergreen Owners Club
Thank you all
Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #23

I ran my fridge for two years on one 20 lb tank. I didn't run out of propane until one weekend I needed to run the hot water heater on propane as well.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #24

No surprise there. After 2 years the propane tank was close to empty anyway.

Anyone who pays attention only turns on the HW heater when they need a lot of HW. If you turn it on before breakfast you will have dish water, showers and morning ablutions. After you are done shut it off until dinner. Unless using an abnormal amount of HW one can coast on the HW in the tank for limited general use. Otherwise one wastes a lot of heat keeping the water tank at a high temperature for no reason.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #25

No worries about the propane as I have two tanks. Only the first tank ran out. I keep the second shut off so I know when the first is empty. I also manually set the auto-transfer to which ever tank I'm on. I also usually run my hot water on electric but needed to run it on gas one weekend when it ran out.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #26

Well on my tralier which has two 20 pound tanks I last very well this is a example.

I always cool the fridge at home at least 3 days ahead and just load a bit each day till full. This is done with shore power and switched to propane then for the drive. I also use a camco fridge fan which really helps and I have a 6 cubic ft fridge. And my tralier is a 20ft.

The drive to the camp ground is about a hour drive. When I get here I swap the fridge to electricity.

Now in the summer with using propane for the BBQ so dinner most nights. Using the oven for some cooking and baking and the stove top. And turning the hot water tank on so I am using both electricity and propane for two showers,6 gallon atwood hot water tank. No heat being used I only went through about 5 gallons according to the guy that filled the tank and that was with the drive home also and 7 days camping.

Now same campground same 7 days out but early spring so heat was on lots day time highs 12*c and night dropped to -6*c. And cooking and hot water use same as above. I went through I full 20 pound bottle and again 5 pounds from second bottle.

Did a big road trip 16 hrs one way with the fridge running propane the whole time and still shut off when at hookups. Which was two night but propane used for other things and two week stay at my folks place so fridge on plug in heat and hot water on propane. I did not even use a half tank. Refilled tank drove another 16 hrs stayed at another 2 over night campgrounds then a week at another site before going home. Did not burn through one 20 pound tank.

I feel lots has to do with the tralier and appliances in your unit as far as use goes but I was always worried about running out now not so much.

I know here in BC canada it is illegal to run with propane on. But I like to keep my food as cool as can be. I hope this may help you out.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
The fridge uses very little propane, but the hot water tank, that is a different story! I try and keep mine on electric. I keep my propane on all the time and just let it switch automatically when I disconnect shore power. I then check it several times before I leave and while in route to make sure it started on gas because one time it didn't!
Our DSDP MH has the engine cooling system connected to the 10 gal water heater. Nice to arrive and have VERY hot water as it's at the engine coolant temp which is 180° or slightly above. Then I can choose to go with gas or electric.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #28

I wanna know where folks are finding 20 and 25 gallon propane tanks...

I have 20lb, 30lb and 40lb tanks, but even a 40lb only holds about 9 1/2 gallons...

L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, refrigerator