Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
You should always buy propane by the gallon unless the tank is totally empty or if they have a price for a full fill that is less than by the gallon. Check to see how many gallons they put in by watching them fill. A lot of places just fill it using weight which is not correct and you may get ripped off.........snip..........
Exactly the opposite is true. Propane volume is affected by temperature, so buying by the gallon can be chancy, especially in hot climates and from aboveground tanks. The only spot-on accurate measure of LP fuel is weight, which is why in some jurisdictions that's the only legal way to sell it.
__________________

__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Exactly the opposite is true. Propane volume is affected by temperature, so buying by the gallon can be chancy, especially in hot climates and from aboveground tanks. The only spot-on accurate measure of LP fuel is weight, which is why in some jurisdictions that's the only legal way to sell it.
Do you know if the pumps are supposed to be temperature corrected like gasoline pumps are?
__________________

__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Do you know if the pumps are supposed to be temperature corrected like gasoline pumps are?
I don't know the (universal?) answer to that question, if indeed one exists. But it doesn't matter what the temp is if one buys LP by weight.
__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,142
I have watched some of the fellows setting the bottle on scale. After setting the weight of the bottle they add a 20 or 30 lb weight and then hook up the hose. Best guess it the hose weighs 2 to 3 lbs. Which the scale thinks is propane.

I know some who sell by weight say they have allowed for the hose weight but I cannot figure out how they do. I could see it if they hooked the hose up before they did the tare weight but not if they put the tare on before (or take the tare off of the bottle).

I have a 40 gallon tank which has to be filled by measure and it continually takes about the same amount of propane when nearly empty.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
Dtwallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Do you know if the pumps are supposed to be temperature corrected like gasoline pumps are?
Temperature compensation is common at the wholesale transaction level in the United States and most other countries. At the retail consumer level, Canada has converted to automatic temperature compensation and the United States has not.

Info from online research to that question, and another part eludes to no temperature compensation at all for gas fuels.

Dtw
__________________
Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:04 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

Propane lines can break if an accident occurs while you're on the road or if an appliance moves while traveling. With no restriction in the line, the propane in the tank can escape. Since propane can ignite with only a small amount in the air (eight parts per million of propane), any triggering device in the vicinity will light it. A broken propane line is extremely dangerous and can trigger an explosion and fire.
The tanks used in RV's incorporate a "high flow shut off valve". If a line breaks or starts leaking excessively (even turning on the supply valve too quickly will do it) the valve shuts off the flow. So, an uncontrolled leak won't happen to an RV unless it's older and doesn't have the high flow cut off. Every MH we've ever had has had the shut off valve except maybe the 1988 Type B, not sure about it.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #63
Member
 
wwsmith111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 59
In my state the pumps are regulated and inspected by the Bureau of weights and measures. Propane is sold by the gallon. Selling it by weight is a huge ripoff because they don't zero balance the scale before filling the tank and don't take into account the added weight of the hose or the weight of the tank or any propane left in the tank. When was the last time anyone saw them zero balance a scale? Never! I can tell you that my 30 lb empty tank weights quite a bit more than a 20 lb tank. That means I'm getting shorted. Take a tank filled by weight to a dealer who sells by the gallon and he will gladly finish filling it for you as it will not be full. I know I have done it. Neither are the exchange tanks. They are all short filled.
__________________
2011 5.7l Toyota Tundra w/ Roadmaster Suspension.
2014 Jayco Eagle 338 RLTS w/ 7hp gen & 1000w invert.
PowerTwin II-30" Electric RV Leveling Stabilizer.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
There's so much info, and no one here is certified and actually fills it.

A lot of you are over thinking this. The hose and filler nozzle weighs a certain amount, usually 3-4 gallons. You just put it on the scale and weight it; simple.

The DOT CYLINDER has a tare weight, weight of the metal and valve only, no LP in it.

Then it is rated for a certain amount of LP by weight, 20lb, 30lb, 40lb, 100lb, etc.

You take the tare weight, add the hose weight, and then add the LP rated weight, and that's the full weight of it.

Not sure what's being missed about that.
__________________
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
I'm assuming of course that we're talking about portable cylinder filling: when buying by weight, they're weighed before and after filling, no fill hose attached. The difference in weight before/after is what gets paid for.

Simple math!
__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #66
Member
 
wwsmith111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 59
Unfortunately that isn't what happens that is the whole point. I have been getting propane Worthington cylinders filled for over 40 years and I have never ever paid the difference of a before and after weight simple math or not. The vendor throws the tank and the scale, doesn't zero it and fills it until the balance says its full. More and more places are filling by the gallon including in Washington State. That is THE only way to insure that you are getting what you paid for and is regulated by the States Bureau of weights and measures. Many of the scales you see at fill stations are remnants of the dark ages and no longer used. Talk to a Professional about this and you will see the light. I did!!! THE END.
__________________
2011 5.7l Toyota Tundra w/ Roadmaster Suspension.
2014 Jayco Eagle 338 RLTS w/ 7hp gen & 1000w invert.
PowerTwin II-30" Electric RV Leveling Stabilizer.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
THE END.
Suit yourself!

But do bear in mind that your "gallon" is only a gallon (4.2 lbs.) if delivered at exactly 60 degrees fahrenheit source; and that it expands in volume (though not of course in weight) at a rate 17 times that of water as the temperature rises source. That dramatic expansion property, by the way, is also a primary reason why portable cylinders are now equipped with OPD's that prevent more than 80% filling.
__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Suit yourself!

But do bear in mind that your "gallon" is only a gallon (4.2 lbs.) if delivered at exactly 60 degrees fahrenheit source; and that it expands in volume (though not of course in weight) at a rate 17 times that of water as the temperature rises source. That dramatic expansion property, by the way, is also a primary reason why portable cylinders are now equipped with OPD's that prevent more than 80% filling.
All true. You were never supposed to fill any LP container (cylinder or ASME tank) more than 80%, now it's just fool proof . . . mostly.
__________________
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
There's so much info, and no one here is certified and actually fills it.

A lot of you are over thinking this. The hose and filler nozzle weighs a certain amount, usually 3-4 gallons. You just put it on the scale and weight it; simple.

The DOT CYLINDER has a tare weight, weight of the metal and valve only, no LP in it.

Then it is rated for a certain amount of LP by weight, 20lb, 30lb, 40lb, 100lb, etc.

You take the tare weight, add the hose weight, and then add the LP rated weight, and that's the full weight of it.

Not sure what's being missed about that.
Nothing has been missed but have you ever seen the guy lay the hose and filler nozzle on the scale or add the weight of same to the beam? I have filled by weight numerous times and missed that part.

What I have observed is the fellow looking at the tare on the tank, dropping on a 20 or 30 counter weight on the beam or moving the weight for the required fill, hooking up the filler nozzle and then shutting the pump off when the beam lifts.

Years ago (many) I filled at a commercial propane place where they had the nozzle and filler hose suspended with a counter weight. That was probably as close as you were going to get.

Keep a close eye on the procedure the next time you fill. Maybe I missed something when I was watching. All I know is if I fill by volume the tank lasts longer than when I fill by weight.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Nothing has been missed but have you ever seen the guy lay the hose and filler nozzle on the scale or add the weight of same to the beam? I have filled by weight numerous times and missed that part.

What I have observed is the fellow looking at the tare on the tank, dropping on a 20 or 30 counter weight on the beam or moving the weight for the required fill, hooking up the filler nozzle and then shutting the pump off when the beam lifts.

Years ago (many) I filled at a commercial propane place where they had the nozzle and filler hose suspended with a counter weight. That was probably as close as you were going to get.

Keep a close eye on the procedure the next time you fill. Maybe I missed something when I was watching. All I know is if I fill by volume the tank lasts longer than when I fill by weight.
I am a filler.

Why weight the hose every single time when you weight it once, and then know the weight.

I guess you need to come watch me fill cylinders, because almost every time, the scale will tip just before the OPD valve cuts of the flow of LP into the cylinder, so my weighing matches the so called "gallon" capacity of the cylinder.
__________________

__________________
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane, refrigerator



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV Driving Course- Driving Like a Pro & 5TH & TT's "007" New Rig Show-Off! 67 02-28-2017 07:54 AM
Bounder: Refrigerator only works while plugged in, does not work via propane. knoby129 Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 40 02-13-2014 09:09 AM
Florida Propane Delivery toneumanns Just Conversation 12 01-29-2014 07:02 PM
Can not get propane to MH from Tank guaranteed Class A Motorhome Discussions 28 01-18-2014 10:11 AM
Full tank...but no propane in the coach bgholson Class A Motorhome Discussions 14 01-07-2014 10:22 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.