Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Driving with refrigerator on with Propane

So how long will a 20 gallon tank last when keeping the fridg, on ?
I would also assume that it is safe to run the fridg, when in tow ?

Thank you
mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #2

When we had a propane fridge, we ran it on propane unless we were on shore power. How long the propane will lasts depends on a lot of factors like outside temp, how often it's opened & how full it is.

I think our propane tank was 32lbs and we filled it up about once a year but ran the furnace some as well as a gas burner once in a great while. We also used the electric side of the fridge too....not much help!!

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #3

We have had ours about 6 months and it has only dropped about 1/4 tank down(25 gal tank). We have at least two weeks of dry camping days which is about 336 hours as well as driving 6000, miles on it so that is about 100 plus hours. We leave it on the automatic energy mode which means any time we plug into electricty the fridge goes off propane and runs on electricty. We also cool down the fridge on electricity while plugged in at home. We have a small circulation fan($10 at CW) which helps keep the air circulatiing so that probaly helps. We have minimaly used the heater, only used the rangetop twice for short period of time. I've been told the fridge is a very minimal draw on the propane.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #4

Think in terms a couple weeks rather than a couple of hours.

It's a good idea to develop a habit of run the gauges daily. I try to do it as part of breakfast clear up so I can plan on any actions like dumping, watering, LP fill. etc. Once the LP gets down below half we look for a good fill spot over the next few days. That makes it worth the stop but is more than ample warning for anything other than winter camping. ;-)

FWIW the other thing we do with LP is shop where they understand RV. A lot of places can fill the 20 lb barbeque tanks but even if they have the right adapter only use it a couple of times a year on an RV tank. Somebody like a campground or Camping World may charge more but they also know what they are doing and get the tank full. From past experience it seems to be easy for the filler to think it is full when it is not.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
sound's like the tank will last plenty of time while driving from point A to point B until we plug in

Thank you
mike
Old 09-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #6

Wondering if it is safe to have the refrigerator running while enroute?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #7

We always have ours on while towing, and as far as propane use, nothing near heating or water heater.
Jim & Pat
Old 09-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #8

It is OK to run the fridge on propane while you travel. I like to have the fridge turned on for several hours before I load my camper for a trip. The tank generally last for weeks.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy14 View Post
Wondering if it is safe to have the refrigerator running while enroute?
? Why wouldn't it be??
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #10

I asked the same question many months ago and some are concerned about the fire hazard. I start my frig. on propane at least 24 hrs. before we plan to leave, then load the cold food into it. After that it's always on, we do swicth to ele. once we are at a hookup, and back to propane once back on the road.

Jim & Pat
Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #11

We ran our fridge on propane from Jersey to Florida and back without issue. We actually had to defrost the freezer as we had the temp too low and it froze over. I am guessing since noone had access to it they could not open and close too many times...
Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #12

I was told by an RV dealer that it is illegal to have a propane tank open on the road. Any confirmation?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How long will a Tank last.... If you fill your tank in Maine, and drive to Los Angles via the state of Washington, then across to Flordia, then back to Maine, with only the fridge burning propane.

Use electric for heat (When parked) and cooking and hot water.

You will still have enough left to do it again when you get home.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy14 View Post
I was told by an RV dealer that it is illegal to have a propane tank open on the road. Any confirmation?
That is not correct. There are instances where you have to turn your propane tank off. Such as the Bay Bridge Tunnel in Va. On a ferry etc.. Maybe otther can think of some more plpaces, but we all run on propane for the fridge on the road.

Tags
propane, refrigerator