Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #1

Dry Camping and Generator Power

I've read through several threads and I'm fairly certain the set-up I'm considering will work for us. However, being new to this, I wanted to run it by the experienced members of this forum before I pull the trigger on the goods.

We just bought a Heartland Edge M22 tt with an 11,500 BTU A/C. We don't anticipate to dry camp all that often but when we do, we want it to be a similar experience to that of being plugged in to shore power.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Two (2) Yamaha EF2000iS inverter generators running in tandem via a parallel power cable with an extended run tank (if I can find one) so I don't have to gas them up every couple of hours.

I think this will run our A/C, a few lights, a laptop and a couple phones charging via wall outlets. I realize I'll have to turn off the A/C to power the microwave - not a huge deal. I'll also buy a cable lock to keep the generators where they belong.

Any thoughts on whether this set-up will serve our needs? Are there any accessories we should consider other than those I've mentioned? Where in the heck do I find an extended run tank?!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice. Great forum here and I'm really glad I found it.

bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We had an Airstream with two 2k watt Honda generators. These would run a 15k BTU A/C and everything else in the Airstream.

With an 11.5k BTU A/C you may actually be able to get by with a single generator and save your self $900. Check the A/C start up requirements to see how many amps it will pull and compare that to the output of your generator.

Good luck.

SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #3

What the Hondas use for extended tank appears to be a modified outboard boat motor fuel tank
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #4

Depending on what the starting amp draw is on your AC unit I would opt for a single Yamaha 2400 watt generator. Unless you absolutely have to have an AC unit when dry camping I would forgo that feature and just enjoy. Besides that most every camp ground I have ever seen has quiet hours from 10 to 7 or 8. So that means no AC at night.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretedge View Post
I've read through several threads and I'm fairly certain the set-up I'm considering will work for us. However, being new to this, I wanted to run it by the experienced members of this forum before I pull the trigger on the goods.

We just bought a Heartland Edge M22 tt with an 11,500 BTU A/C. We don't anticipate to dry camp all that often but when we do, we want it to be a similar experience to that of being plugged in to shore power.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Two (2) Yamaha EF2000iS inverter generators running in tandem via a parallel power cable with an extended run tank (if I can find one) so I don't have to gas them up every couple of hours.

I think this will run our A/C, a few lights, a laptop and a couple phones charging via wall outlets. I realize I'll have to turn off the A/C to power the microwave - not a huge deal. I'll also buy a cable lock to keep the generators where they belong.

Any thoughts on whether this set-up will serve our needs? Are there any accessories we should consider other than those I've mentioned? Where in the heck do I find an extended run tank?!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice. Great forum here and I'm really glad I found it.

I think thats a fine setup. The yamaha is a great genny and catching up with the honda in terms of new sales as it is a notch ahead of the honda in features.

I am uncertain weather the Yammie 2K has an actual vacuum fuel pump like the honda or is gravity fed.

If its gravity fed it will be tougher to do an extended run kit, and the extended run kit will need to incorporate a separate pump and wiring for said pump.

I have 5 gennies now and find with an extended run kit a set of smaller gennies is very nice backbone of a power setup.

You may find that with an addition of a supco hard start kit a lone 2K may just run it fine under certain conditions.

There are also triple parallel kits that come with a 50 amp connector.

You can look at wise sales and a few other for extended run tanks.

Heres my setup
YouTube - Honda 2K with extended run tank

Uncle Dave
Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #6

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm getting closer to making a decision but I have one more question. How the heck do you transport generators? They won't fit in the external storage compartments on the trailer. We're towing w/ a Toyota 4Runner, and I assume we can't store the generator in the back of the SUV due to gas fumes. What about transporting it inside the trailer? Other options?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just made an extended run tank. Very easy to construct. Look on the net under (extended run generator tank). It was very easy to make. You only need common household tools. I built mine for 107.00 Canadian.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #8

Just a reminder that the exhaust from all generators can be fatal .Make sure you have a working CO monitor.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
You'll be fine even running the microwave during A/C operation. Now if the A/C starts while using the microwave the startup surge might be too much. I've got a 4500 Honda and run things just like it's hooked up to 30 amps.

As for transport some small gensets have tank vents you can close making them safe for transport inside a vehicle. Something to check into. Does your TV have a roof rack?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #10

I own a RV's choice for Portable Power - Boliy USA, Home of the Boliy Generator inverter PRO 3600SI genset I purchased July 08. It performs well and powers our 15.5K btu heat pump easily, with enough extra wattage to power the microwave, coffemaker, and lights. When I first got it I experimented some to find it's limits. It powered both our 15.5Kbtu and 13.5K btu heat pumps at the same time; while I monitored voltage level, which did not drop below 110VAC while running. Of course I'd never do that for "real" camping power.
I'd like to have a new electric-start model but at this rate I'll be in the grave before my pull-start model will.
Read the specs closely, then compare them to Honda and Yamaha gensets of similar output. That's what sold me.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #11

bldrbob: Thanks for the reminder. We do have a CO alarm installed in the trailer.

sknight: I'll read the specs to see if it has a tank vent. We do have a roof rack on the 4Runner.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #12

I would never be comfortable storing the gennys inside the truck or trailer. In case of an accident fuel would likely spill. Can you install a trailer hitch on the rear of your trailer? Then you could mount a cargo carrier and build a removable housing for security and weather protection.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I would never be comfortable storing the gennys inside the truck or trailer. In case of an accident fuel would likely spill. Can you install a trailer hitch on the rear of your trailer? Then you could mount a cargo carrier and build a removable housing for security and weather protection.
Nope, no hitch. Maybe I'll drain the fuel from the generator and store it inside the trailer for transport. Other options?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
I just made an extended run tank. Very easy to construct. Look on the net under (extended run generator tank). It was very easy to make. You only need common household tools. I built mine for 107.00 Canadian.
For which genny the Yamaha?

Does your tank have a fuel pump or is it suction fed because your genny has a fuel pump in it to create the draw.

Uncle Dave

Tags
heartland