Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Dry camping requirements/necessities

I've never been dry camping before and might soon to the beach. Things I need to know? I camp maybe 2-4 times per year. What is worth buying?

- I don't have a battery
- no generator
- will propane chill fridge w no battery?
- battery will power wall plugs?
- will battery last 3-4 days or would solar charger be needed?
- if I mainly camp at full hook up spots should I still need a battery? I hope to do dry maybe 1-2 times a year
- what do I need to know about water pump/sewer/faucets?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #2

Dry camping requirements/necessities

How many days in a row will you be dry camping?

No batteries = no power

Even a propane fridge needs 12 volts to power its control board.

What things do you want to run? Water pump ? Lights? TV ? Furnace ?

Old 03-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
How many days in a row will you be dry camping?

No batteries = no power

Even a propane fridge needs 12 volts to power its control board.

What things do you want to run? Water pump ? Lights? TV ? Furnace ?
Just lights, fridge and wall plugs. I'll be there 3-4 days
Old 03-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The batteries will not power 110 wall plugs unless you have an inverter. Lights in your camper are no doubt 12v and at least will need a converter to work when pulling power from a 110 supply (and usually requires a battery in line too).

Sounds like right now all you have is a hard sided tent.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
- I don't have a battery
Then you will have no power for even lights, unless you stay hooked up to the tow vehicle and somehow manage to use the battery power from the tow vehicle without running down the battery in the tow vehicle.

Quote:
- no generator
Then no 110/120-volt power to run an AC, microwave, curling iron, coffee pot, etc.

Quote:
- will propane chill fridge w no battery?
Probably not. The reefer cools with propane flame, but the ignition for the propane flame and the thermostat for the reefer is battery powered.

Quote:
- battery will power wall plugs?
No, not a simple battery installed in the RV.

A battery is 12-volt DC (direct current). The wall plugs are 110/120 volt AC (alternating current).

You can have 110/120-volt power from batter(ies) by using an inverter, but that requires several 12-volt automotive or marine batteries connected to the inverter. And then you probably still won't have enough AC power to run more than a few lights and maybe a TV and a fan.

Quote:
- will battery last 3-4 days or would solar charger be needed?
Depends on what you hook up to the battery. With nothing but a few 6-volt lights sucking down the battery power for a couple hours each night, the batter(ies) can last a few days. If you want more power than that, then consider an inverter generator, such as the Honda EU2000i. It can produce 1,600 watts of continuous clean electricity for several hours on a gallon or so of gasoline. Honda EU2000i at Amazon.com

The 2000 in the name means 2000 watt of peak power. But peak power is good for only a few seconds, then it reverts to 1600 watts of continuous power. Peak power is for starting an electric motor, such as an air conditioner motor or the fan motor in your furnace. But after the motor starts, it requires a lot less power to continue running.

The reason for the Honda EU2000i, or the similar Yamaha inverter generator, is it's very quiet when running. You can buy cheaper generators, but they make a lot more racket that will irritate your neighbors, and they will drink a lot more gasoline. Even an old man like me can pick up my EU2000i and put in the "basement" of an RV trailer.

And two EU2000i generators hooked together makes enough power to run a normal AC unit in an RV trailer.

Quote:
- if I mainly camp at full hook up spots should I still need a battery? I hope to do dry maybe 1-2 times a year
Depends on which of the appliances in your trailer require 12-volt ignition or 12-volt control of the propane distribution system. I suspect you will want at least a 12-volt car battery, and I insist on a 12-volt marine battery in my TT. And some have two or more 6-volt marine batteries hooked up to produce 12 volts.

Quote:
- what do I need to know about water pump/sewer/faucets?
A lot.

But with a newer RV trailer, all you need to know to get started is how to hook up the fresh water hose and how to dump the holding tanks at the dump station. Faucets you can learn as you go along and have a faucet needing replacement. Water pump is no problem until it stops working.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping